George William HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#2218, b. 5 October 1857, d. 2 December 1941
|Father*||Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON1,2,3,4 b. 9 Jun 1823, d. 7 May 1889|
|Mother*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY5 b. 25 Oct 1831, d. 11 Feb 1902|
|Birth*||George William HAIRSTON was born on 5 October 1857 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.3,6,2,4 |
|He was the son of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON and Wortley Virginia MOSELEY.1,2,3,4,5|
|Census 1860||George William HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.7 |
|Census 1870||George William HAIRSTON appeared on the 1870 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 16 June 1870 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.1 |
|Patent||On 10 September 1879, Dabney L. Ervin filed a patent for a new and inmproved stove and was given Patent Number 225,812 on 23 March 1880. Coppy attached -->|
|Marriage*||George William HAIRSTON married Mary Watt HAIRSTON, daughter of Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON and Kiziah C. "Kizzie" STAPLES, on 7 December 1879 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.8|
|Census 1880||George William HAIRSTON appeared on the 1880 census of Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON on 10 June 1880 in District 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi; N. E. Harston widower 56 born in VA, B. W. dau. 17 born in MS, G.W. son-in-law 22 born in MS, M.W. dau. 22 born in MS.9|
|Census 1880||George William HAIRSTON appeared on the 1880 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 23 June 1880 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.9 |
|Death Spouse||George William HAIRSTON's wife, Mary Watt Hairston, died on 13 January 1882.|
|Biography||He was mentioned the BIOGRAPHY of Hardin HAIRSTON on 21 June 1884; From the "Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss - June 21, 1884 -|
"Mr. Hardin Hairston, one of the early immigrants who came from Virginia, and who left a large number of descendants, living within the bounds of this congregation, looked to the ministers of this Church for counsel and instruction in divine things; and while I was your Minister, it was my privilege to preach the gospel at his house by his request, when he was disabled by physical infirmity from attending the services at the Church. His mind was, then, turned toward the interests of eternity. It pleased the Lord, of His sovereign grace, to enlighten him in the saving knowledge of the gospel, so that he was priviledged to confess Christ before men, ere he should depart. He united w1th this Church, Oct 12, 1862, and died on the 23rd of the same month. His son, Dr. P. C. Hairston was received on examination, Dec. 1, 1879, and is now one of your Elders. Mrs. Wortley V. Hairston, the wife of Dr. Hairston, was a member of the Wahalak Church in Kemper County, where her father John T. Moseley resided, but after her ma rriage, she transferred her membership to this Church, November 27, 1, 1852. Their daughter, Mrs. Sallie S. Ervin, professed her faith in Christ, Sept. 30, 1871, but has transferred her membership elsewhere. In 1859, while I was the Minister, the Lord graciously brought into his kingdom the three daughters of Col. Sam'l Hairston, who had died before I came here, and of his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Hairston, who had then recently deceased, thus leaving them double orphans, viz: Miss Sally Alice Hairston, now the wife of Rev. A. H. Barkley, Miss Sam Henry Elizabeth Hairston, and Miss Mary Theodosia Hairston, who continued their connection until 1873, when they transferred it to Crawford Church. Mrs. K. C. Hairston, wife of N. E. Hairston was admitted on examination, Oct 14, 1864 and was removed by death Oct 1st, 1875. Her daughter Mrs. Mary Watt Hairston, wife of George W. Hairston, professed her faith in Christ, Oct 3, 1880, and in the bloom of her married life was cut down by the fell destroyer, Jan 14, 1882, leaving a little daughter who has since received baptism. Mrs. Mary Ervin Hairston, already mentioned as a daughter of E. A. Ervin, the wife of Hardin M. Hairston, was received on examination, Sept. 30, 1871, and is now of your membership along with her four baptized children."10
|Marriage*||George William HAIRSTON married Virginia Antoinette "Nettie" ERVIN, daughter of Edwin Alexander ERVIN and Virginia Pou JENNINGS, on 22 January 1885.8|
|Probate||George William HAIRSTON was the administrator of George HAIRSTON's estate on 6 June 1885 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Case No. 2019, Estate Files 2011-2051. A pdf copy is attached.11|
|Death Spouse*||George William HAIRSTON's wife, Virginia Antionette Ervin, died on 4 August 1890.12|
|Marriage*||He married Ela May Ledbetter THARP, daughter of Henry B. THARP and Laura Frances LEDBETTER, on 26 October 1898. "Rev. Mr. Lattimer has just returned from holding a protracted meeting at Bethel. On Wednesday at the Methodist church in Crawford he united in marriage Mr. Geo. W. Hairston and Miss Ela May Tharpe, all of Crawford. They are members of old families and their friends crowded the beautifully decorated church to witness the ceremony. They left on the north-bound train for a bridal tour." Macon Beacon, Macon, Mississippi, 29 October 1898, page 2.8|
|Census 1900*||George William HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1 June 1900 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.13 |
|Occupation*||CITIZENS OF CRAWFORD TO ESTABLISH BANK|
The enterprising citizens of Crawford are arranging to establish a bank at that place. It will have a capital of $10,000 and will be knowrn as The Bank of Crawford. "The incorporators and Messrs. G. P. Waller, G. W. Hairston, A. J. Ervin, Jr., W. E. Ervin, Brooks and Ledbetter and N. S. Carr.
Crawford has a splendid country surrounding it and populated by an enterprising and substantial citizenship and there is no reason why the new bank should not make good.
The Columbus Commercial, March 3, 1908, Page 5.
|Residence*||He lived in 1910 in home on Main Street, Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi; Crawford home to George William Hairston.|
|Census 1910*||He appeared on the census of 15 April 1910 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.14 |
|Census 1920*||He appeared on the census of 7 February 1920 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.15 |
|Census 1930*||He appeared on the census of 29 April 1930 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi, George W 72, Ela M 56, Brown W 22, John P 17.16|
|Census 1940*||He appeared on the census of 3 April 1940 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi, G W Hirston, Ela J, Nick, Virginia. Nick 3/12, Betty Bacchus, Ben Bacchus.17|
|Death*||He died on 2 December 1941 in 7 PM, Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 84.6,4|
|Burial*||He was buried in Oaklimb Cemetery, Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.6,4 |
|Mary Watt HAIRSTON b. 13 May 1858, d. 13 Jan 1882|
|Virginia Antoinette "Nettie" ERVIN b. 23 Jan 1860, d. 4 Aug 1890|
|Ela May Ledbetter THARP b. 27 Oct 1872, d. 30 Aug 1962|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1] Bethel Presbyterian Church Records, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S3105] Death Certificate of George William Hairston, Mississppi State Department of Health Vital Records, Jackson, MS - Certificate #20345.
- [S158] Montague, George William, History and Genealogy of the Montague Family of America, Press of J.E. Williams, Amherst, Mass, 1886.
- [S13] Oaklimb Cemetery, Crawford, Lowndes County, MS.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S253] Bible of Nicholas E. Hairston Family, 1825 (Boston, New York, Philadelphia: American Family Bible Publishing Company, N. E. Hairston, Jr., Mississippi.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3] Baird, Rev. E. T.; Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss Prepared for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, June 21, 1884 - Columbus, Mississippi - 1885.
- [S3317] Lowndes County Chancery Court Records, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S18] Jennings Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1920] 1920 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1930] 1930 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1940] 1940 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3112] Birth Certificate of George William Hairston Jr, Mississppi State Department of Health Vital Records, Jackson, MS - Certificate #3109.
- [S3117] Letter Carolyn Hairston Henderson to Robert Hairston, September 1986, Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||23 Mar 2019|