Laura May HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#169, b. 20 July 1899, d. 10 July 1996
|Father*||George William HAIRSTON1 b. 5 Oct 1857, d. 2 Dec 1941|
|Mother*||Ela May Ledbetter THARP b. 27 Oct 1872, d. 30 Aug 1962|
|Birth*||Laura May HAIRSTON was born on 20 July 1899 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.|
|She was the daughter of George William HAIRSTON and Ela May Ledbetter THARP.1|
|Census 1900||Laura May HAIRSTON appeared on the 1900 census of George William HAIRSTON on 1 June 1900 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2 |
|Census 1910||Laura May HAIRSTON appeared on the 1910 census of George William HAIRSTON on 15 April 1910 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.3 |
|Married Name||As of 21 July 1918,her married name was BLAIR.|
|Marriage*||Laura May HAIRSTON married Ralph Pope BLAIR, son of Willis Pope BLAIR and Anne Melvina SMITH, on 21 July 1918 in First Presbyterian Church, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi; "BLAIR - HAIRSTON|
Mr. Ralph P. Blair and Miss Laura May Hairston were married at the manse of the First Presbyterian church at 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon, the ceremony having been performed by the pastor, Rev. R. Excell Frye. Mr. Blair is a wealthy young planter of the prosperous Prairie section west of the Tombigbee river, while the bride, who is the daughter of G. W. Hairston, a well known citizen of the Crawford neighborhood, is an unusually pretty and attractive young lady."
The Columbus Commercial, Columbis Miss., Thursdau Morning, July 25, 1918, page 1.4
|Divorce*||Laura May HAIRSTON and Ralph Pope BLAIR were divorced about 1920.|
|Census 1920*||Laura May HAIRSTON and Ralph Pope BLAIR appeared on the census of 13 June 1920 in District 3, Mt. Vernon, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Ralph 27, wife Laura 20, daughter Carolyn 6/12.5|
|Marriage*||Laura May HAIRSTON married Ben William COTTON in 1932.|
|Death*||Laura May HAIRSTON died on 10 July 1996 in Greenville, Washington County, Mississippi, at age 96.4|
|Burial*||She was buried in Oaklimb Cemetery, Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.6|
|Ralph Pope BLAIR b. 19 Nov 1892, d. 1 Oct 1962|
|Ben William COTTON b. 18 Oct 1890, d. 27 Dec 1947|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S253] Bible of Nicholas E. Hairston Family, 1825 (Boston, New York, Philadelphia: American Family Bible Publishing Company, N. E. Hairston, Jr., Mississippi.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S73] Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) - This information has been claimed, but I have no idea if it is accurate.
- [S1920] 1920 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S13] Oaklimb Cemetery, Crawford, Lowndes County, MS.
|Last Edited||3 Mar 2019|