Mary Watt HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#256, b. 13 May 1858, d. 13 January 1882
|Father*||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON b. 15 Mar 1825, d. 27 Jul 1888|
|Mother*||Kiziah C. "Kizzie" STAPLES b. 25 Aug 1836, d. 1 Oct 1875|
|Birth*||Mary Watt HAIRSTON was born on 13 May 1858 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.1,2|
|She was the daughter of Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON and Kiziah C. "Kizzie" STAPLES.|
|Census 1860||Mary Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Listed - N. E Hairston 35, K. C. Hairston (F) 22, Mary Hairston 2, Sallie 8 months.3|
|Census 1870*||Mary Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1870 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.4 |
|Marriage*||She married George William HAIRSTON, son of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON and Wortley Virginia MOSELEY, on 7 December 1879 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.5|
|Census 1880||Mary Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the 1880 census of Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON on 10 June 1880 in District 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi; N. E. Harston widower 56 born in VA, B. W. dau. 17 born in MS, G.W. son-in-law 22 born in MS, M.W. dau. 22 born in MS.6|
|Death*||Mary Watt HAIRSTON died on 13 January 1882 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 23.2|
|Burial*||She was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2 |
|Biography||She was mentioned the BIOGRAPHY of Hardin HAIRSTON on 21 June 1884; From the "Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss - June 21, 1884 -|
"Mr. Hardin Hairston, one of the early immigrants who came from Virginia, and who left a large number of descendants, living within the bounds of this congregation, looked to the ministers of this Church for counsel and instruction in divine things; and while I was your Minister, it was my privilege to preach the gospel at his house by his request, when he was disabled by physical infirmity from attending the services at the Church. His mind was, then, turned toward the interests of eternity. It pleased the Lord, of His sovereign grace, to enlighten him in the saving knowledge of the gospel, so that he was priviledged to confess Christ before men, ere he should depart. He united with this Church, Oct 12, 1862, and died on the 23rd of the same month. His son, Dr. P. C. Hairston was received on examination, Dec. 1, 1879, and is now one of your Elders. Mrs. Wortley V. Hairston, the wife of Dr. Hairston, was a member of the Wahalak Church in Kemper County, where her father John T. Moseley resided, but after her marriage, she transferred her membership to this Church, November 27, 1852. Their daughter, Mrs. Sallie S. Ervin, professed her faith in Christ, Sept. 30, 1871, but has transferred her membership elsewhere. In 1859, while I was the Minister, the Lord graciously brought into his kingdom the three daughters of Col. Sam'l Hairston, who had died before I came here, and of his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Hairston, who had then recently deceased, thus leaving them double orphans, viz: Miss Sally Alice Hairston, now the wife of Rev. A. H. Barkley, Miss Sam Henry Elizabeth Hairston, and Miss Mary Theodosia Hairston, who continued their connection until 1873, when they transferred it to Crawford Church. Mrs. K. C. Hairston, wife of N. E. Hairston was admitted on examination, Oct 14, 1864 and was removed by death Oct 1st, 1875. Her daughter Mrs. Mary Watt Hairston, wife of George W. Hairston, professed her faith in Christ, Oct 3, 1880, and in the bloom of her married life was cut down by the fell destroyer, Jan 14, 1882, leaving a little daughter who has since received baptism. Mrs. Mary Ervin Hairston, already mentioned as a daughter of E. A. Ervin, the wife of Hardin M. Hairston, was received on examination, Sept. 30, 1871, and is now of your membership along with her four baptized children."7
|George William HAIRSTON b. 5 Oct 1857, d. 2 Dec 1941|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S253] Bible of Nicholas E. Hairston Family, 1825 (Boston, New York, Philadelphia: American Family Bible Publishing Company, N. E. Hairston, Jr., Mississippi.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3] Baird, Rev. E. T.; Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss Prepared for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, June 21, 1884 - Columbus, Mississippi - 1885.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2021|