Wortley Virginia MOSELEY
HAIRSTON.org ID#21, b. 25 October 1831, d. 11 February 1902
|Father*||John Townes MOSELEY1,2 b. 1797, d. 11 Dec 1883|
|Mother*||Mary Wortley MONTAGUE3 b. 8 Jun 1808, d. 21 Sep 1883|
|Birth*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY was born on 25 October 1831 in Powhatan County, Virginia.4,1|
|She was the daughter of John Townes MOSELEY and Mary Wortley MONTAGUE.1,2,3|
|Anecdote*||Moved to Noxubee County, MS in 1835 with her parents.|
|Marriage*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY married Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON, son of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES, on 21 December 1848 in Wahalak, Kemper County, Mississippi.5,6,4,2|
|Married Name||As of 21 December 1848,her married name was HAIRSTON.|
|Census 1850||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY appeared on the 1850 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 26 September 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Peter Hairston 27 physician, Wortly V. 19, Harden M. 10/12.7|
|Probate*||Her estate was probated in 1858 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.8|
|Census 1860||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY appeared on the 1860 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.9 |
|Census 1870||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY appeared on the 1870 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 16 June 1870 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.10 |
|Census 1880||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY appeared on the 1880 census of Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON on 23 June 1880 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.11 |
|Photo*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY was photographed |
(left to right) - Peter's daughter Sally Staples, Dr. Peter C. Hairston, Peter's daughter Pattie Allen, family friend Miss Moina Evans, Peter's wife Wortley Virginia Moseley Hairston, Miss Emily Elizabeth Ervin (sister of the wife of Peter's son George). about 1882.
|Will||In Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON's will dated 24 March 1884 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, Wortley Virginia MOSELEY was named as an heir; Will of Peter Constantine Hairston.12|
|Biography||She was mentioned the BIOGRAPHY of Hardin HAIRSTON on 21 June 1884; From the "Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss - June 21, 1884 -|
"Mr. Hardin Hairston, one of the early immigrants who came from Virginia, and who left a large number of descendants, living within the bounds of this congregation, looked to the ministers of this Church for counsel and instruction in divine things; and while I was your Minister, it was my privilege to preach the gospel at his house by his request, when he was disabled by physical infirmity from attending the services at the Church. His mind was, then, turned toward the interests of eternity. It pleased the Lord, of His sovereign grace, to enlighten him in the saving knowledge of the gospel, so that he was priviledged to confess Christ before men, ere he should depart. He united with this Church, Oct 12, 1862, and died on the 23rd of the same month. His son, Dr. P. C. Hairston was received on examination, Dec. 1, 1879, and is now one of your Elders. Mrs. Wortley V. Hairston, the wife of Dr. Hairston, was a member of the Wahalak Church in Kemper County, where her father John T. Moseley resided, but after her marriage, she transferred her membership to this Church, November 27, 1852. Their daughter, Mrs. Sallie S. Ervin, professed her faith in Christ, Sept. 30, 1871, but has transferred her membership elsewhere. In 1859, while I was the Minister, the Lord graciously brought into his kingdom the three daughters of Col. Sam'l Hairston, who had died before I came here, and of his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Hairston, who had then recently deceased, thus leaving them double orphans, viz: Miss Sally Alice Hairston, now the wife of Rev. A. H. Barkley, Miss Sam Henry Elizabeth Hairston, and Miss Mary Theodosia Hairston, who continued their connection until 1873, when they transferred it to Crawford Church. Mrs. K. C. Hairston, wife of N. E. Hairston was admitted on examination, Oct 14, 1864 and was removed by death Oct 1st, 1875. Her daughter Mrs. Mary Watt Hairston, wife of George W. Hairston, professed her faith in Christ, Oct 3, 1880, and in the bloom of her married life was cut down by the fell destroyer, Jan 14, 1882, leaving a little daughter who has since received baptism. Mrs. Mary Ervin Hairston, already mentioned as a daughter of E. A. Ervin, the wife of Hardin M. Hairston, was received on examination, Sept. 30, 1871, and is now of your membership along with her four baptized children."2
|Will*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY left a will on 20 March 1896 in "written signed & published at the family residence Magowah", Lowndes County, Mississippi.6|
|Census 1900*||She appeared on the census of 13 June 1900 in Range 17 East - Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi, She is listed as "Mother-in-Law" living with daughter Pattie Allen and Kizzie Staples a "step-niece".13|
|Census 1900||She appeared on the 1900 census of William Sterling TURNER on 13 June 1900 in Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi.13 |
|Death*||Wortley Virginia MOSELEY died on 11 February 1902 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 70.14,1|
|Burial*||She was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.14 |
|Dr. Peter Constantine HAIRSTON b. 9 Jun 1823, d. 7 May 1889|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S3161] The Descendants of William Moseley 1605/1606 - 1655 of Norfolk, Va., Compiled by Leila Eldridge D'Aiutolo, Warren L. Forsythe, William S. Hubard, and Mary Carolyn Mitton, 2000.
- [S3] Baird, Rev. E. T.; Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss Prepared for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, June 21, 1884 - Columbus, Mississippi - 1885.
- [S3380] Montague, George William, History and Genealogy of Peter Montague of Nansemond and Lancaster Counties, Virginia and His Descendants, 1621-1894, Amherst, Mass. 1894
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/dul1.ark:/13960/t4cp0qs7k, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S158] Montague, George William, History and Genealogy of the Montague Family of America, Press of J.E. Williams, Amherst, Mass, 1886.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S96] Lowndes County Mississippi Will Book.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3518] Probate - Elizabeth Perkins Hairston 1858 - Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9Q6-4WNK : 21 May 2014), Lowndes > Estates 1830-1921 no 997-1017 > image 620 of 1939; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S120] Will of Peter Constantine Hairston - 24 Mar 1884, Lowndes County, Mississippi Will Book #1, page 572, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2021|