John Townes MOSELEY
HAIRSTON.org ID#24, b. 1797, d. 11 December 1883
|Father*||William MOSELEY1,2 b. 18 May 1754, d. 19 Jun 1816|
|Mother*||Rebecca Clarke TOWNES2 b. 18 May 1765, d. 21 Aug 1846|
|Birth*||John Townes MOSELEY was born in 1797 in Powhatan County, Virginia.3,2|
|He was the son of William MOSELEY and Rebecca Clarke TOWNES.1,2|
|Will||John Townes MOSELEY was mentioned in the will of William MOSELEY on 14 July 1814 in Powhatan County, Virginia; William L. Moseley left a will dated 14 Jul 1814 in Powhatan County mentioning: his wife Rebecca C. Moseley, sons Jno. T. Moseley and Wm. A. Moseley and daughter Martha A. Moseley (not married). Wife is Executrix and Armstead T. Townes (Rebecca's brother" and Major Edward Moseley are executors.1|
|Marriage*||John Townes MOSELEY married Mary Wortley MONTAGUE, daughter of Mickelborough MONTAGUE and Ann Carter "Nancy" VAUGHAN, on 1 December 1825 in Powhatan County, Virginia. Mickleborrough Montague father. John J. Watkins and Eliza. J. Stanard security and witness. Powhatan County, Virginia Marriage Register 1777-1853, page 98. Family Search Film #007579028, Image 205.4,5,6,7,2|
|Residence*||In 1835 John moved his family to Kemper County, Mississippi from Virginia.5,2|
|Census 1850*||John Townes MOSELEY appeared on the census of 11 November 1850 in Kemper County, Mississippi.8 |
|Census 1860*||He appeared on the census of 18 October 1860 in District 2, Noxubee County, Mississippi.3 |
|Census 1870*||He appeared on the census of 6 July 1870 in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, John T. Mosely 72 farmer b. VA, Mary W. 62, William X. 35 Physician, Martha A. 27, Thomas 8, Margaret M. 5.9|
|Census 1880*||He appeared on the census of 21 June 1880 in Beat 4, Noxubee County, Mississippi, J T Moseley Sr 81 (retired farmer), Mary 72, Martha A 37 (dau. b. Miss.), Jno L 35, Annie B. Wilborn 33 (widowed daughter, b. Miss.), Brook Wilborn 9 (grandson), Mary Wilborn 7 (grand dau.), Richard Wilborn 5 (grandson).10|
|Death*||He died on 11 December 1883 in Noxubee County, Mississippi.5,7,2|
|Mary Wortley MONTAGUE b. 8 Jun 1808, d. 21 Sep 1883|
- [S286] Will of William Moseley - 1814, Powhatan County, Virginia, Will Book 5, 1815-1819.
- [S3216] Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi: Embracing an authentic and comprehensive account of the chief events in the history of the state and a record of the lives of many of the most worthy and illustrious families and individuals. (1891). Chicago: Goodspeed Pub. Co. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.102898824, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S110] Unknown author. Dodd, Jordan R., et al.. Early American Marriages: Virginia to 1850, Precision Indexing Publishers, Bountiful, UT. N.p.: n.pub.
- [S158] Montague, George William, History and Genealogy of the Montague Family of America, Press of J.E. Williams, Amherst, Mass, 1886.
- [S3161] The Descendants of William Moseley 1605/1606 - 1655 of Norfolk, Va., Compiled by Leila Eldridge D'Aiutolo, Warren L. Forsythe, William S. Hubard, and Mary Carolyn Mitton, 2000.
- [S3380] Montague, George William, History and Genealogy of Peter Montague of Nansemond and Lancaster Counties, Virginia and His Descendants, 1621-1894, Amherst, Mass. 1894
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/dul1.ark:/13960/t4cp0qs7k, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3] Baird, Rev. E. T.; Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss Prepared for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, June 21, 1884 - Columbus, Mississippi - 1885.
|Last Edited||27 Feb 2022|