Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#112, b. 15 March 1825, d. 27 July 1888
|Father*||Hardin HAIRSTON1 b. 23 Oct 1786, d. 23 Oct 1862|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES1 b. 1 Oct 1791, d. 4 May 1845|
|Birth*||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON was born on 15 March 1825 in Patrick, Virginia.1,2|
|He was the son of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES.1|
|College*||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON was College about 1845; Educated at Harvard College.3|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 26 September 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, Nicholas E. Hairston 25, Planter 2460, VA.4|
|Marriage*||He married Kiziah C. STAPLES, daughter of Abraham STAPLES and Mary S. PENN, on 15 January 1857 in Greensboro, Guilford, North Carolina.1,5|
|Will||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON witnessed the will of Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON on 21 April 1858 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.6|
|Census 1860*||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, Listed - N. E Hairston 35, K. C. Hairston (F) 22, Mary Hairston 2, Sallie 8 months.7|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122.|
PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.8
|Census 1870*||He appeared on the census of 16 June 1870 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, N.E. Hairston 45, Kizzie 33.9|
|Anecdote*||The gin-house of Maj. N. E. Hairston near Crawfordville, was accidentally get on fire, last Saturday, and burned down, involving the loss of some 20 bales of cotton, 1000 bushels of corn. 2,000 bushels of cotton seed. Loss estimated at about $8,000.|
The Weekly Clarion, Jackson, Mississippi, Thursday, January 22, 1874, Page 1.
|Census 1880*||He appeared on the census of 10 June 1880 in District 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi, N. E. Harston widower 56 VA., B. W. dau. 17, G.W. son-in-law 22, M.W. dau. 22.10|
|Anecdote||A Foul Murder.|
Last Sunday night, on Mr. Nick Hairston's plantation, near Crawford, a foul murder was committed, in which Lena Borders and Jeff Wooten were the perpetrators and Alfred Borders the victim. The particulars are about as follows :
Lena Borders and her husband Alfred Borders were walking past the house of Jeff Wooten. Jeff came out, and the woman struck her husband on the head with a stick. This was followed by a heavy blow with a stick from Jeff, which prostrated their victim, and he was taken up and thrown into a cistern.
Jeff Wooten's statement is that the woman had been after uim to kill her husband, and when she struck him he hit him too, and helped throw him in the cistern. He says he had no motive in killing him.
Lena Borders says she was the second wife of the deceased. - That there were children by the first marriage. That these children were a source of trouble. That her husband often beat her, aud she wanted to get rid of him.
Neither of the murderers seem to apprehend the enormity of their crime.
The Comet, Jackson, Mississippi, July 30, 1881, Page 3. (Mississippi Department of Archives and History.)11
|Probate||He was mentioned in the probate of the estate of George HAIRSTON on 6 June 1885 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Case No. 2019, Estate Files 2011-2051. A pdf copy is attached.12|
|Death*||Nicholas Edward HAIRSTON died on 27 July 1888 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 63.|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes, Mississippi.13 |
|Kiziah C. STAPLES b. 25 Aug 1836, d. 1 Oct 1875|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S253] Bible of Nicholas E. Hairston Family, 1825 (Boston, New York, Philadelphia: American Family Bible Publishing Company, N. E. Hairston, Jr., Mississippi.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S176] North Carolina, Marriage Index, 1741-2011 - Provo, Utah, Ancestry.com.
- [S3316] Will of Elizabeth Perkins Hairston - 21 April 1858, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Will Book 1, Page 15., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3188] Library of Congress, Chronicling Amercia - Historic American Newspapers.
- [S3317] Lowndes County Chancery Court Records, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
|Last Edited||1 Mar 2018|