HAIRSTON.org ID#1010, b. about 1755, d. between 1821 and 1825
|Father*||Andrew ROWLAND1,2 b. 1731|
|Mother*||Ruth NORMAN b. a 1731|
|Birth*||Michael ROWLAND was born about 1755 in Halifax County, Virginia.3,1|
|He was the son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN.1,2|
|County Change||Pittsylvania County formed from Halifax County - 1767.|
|Military*||Michael Rowland and Joshua Renfro were with Col. William Christian, Col. Charles Lewis and Major Evan Shelby on the Cherokee Expedition (Christie's Campaign) in August, 1776. About 1,800 Virginian volunteers attacked Cherokee lands (now Tennessee) after the British encouraged them to attack the settlers. There were also volunteers from Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina attacking from the south.4|
|County Change||Henry County formed from Pittsylvania County - 1777.|
|Oath to Virginia*||Michael ROWLAND on 30 August 1777, in Henry County, Virginia, county, took Oath Of Allegiance to Commonwealth of Virginia and renounced allegiance to Great Britian.5|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth HAIRSTON, daughter of Capt. Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL, on 20 June 1778 in Henry County, Virginia.6,7,8,9,10,1,2,11|
|Court Record*||In Henry County Court on 27th March 1779, the County Levy was recorded. William Rowland and Michael Rowland were paid for guarding prisoners. Henry County Order Book #1, page 38. Family History Library Film #007898572, imges 49.|
|Court Record||Michael Rowland sells 400 acres in Henry County to Alexander Hunter for 600 pounds. Signed by Michael and his wife Elizabeth.12|
|Court Record||Michael Rowland buys land on both sides of the North Mayo River for 2,000 pounds from Nathaniel Ketchaim on 25 March 1780.12|
|Property||Michael ROWLAND witnessed the Property of George ROWLAND on 25 May 1780 in Henry County, Virginia; 1780 Henry County - George Rowland purchases 300 acres on the north side of Marrowbone Creek for 2,000 pounds from Thomas and Mary Hamilton (Hambleton) on 25 May 1780. Witnessed by John Barksdill, P. Hairston (399), Samuel Hairston (401) and Michael Rowland (1010).|
|Will||Michael ROWLAND was mentioned in the will of John ROWLAND on 5 July 1780 in Henry County, Virginia; His will mentions "my brother Michael Rowlands eldest son William Roland", "my brother George Rowland", "my wife Mary", "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland", "two sons od Joshua Bowls dec'd....their mother Sarah Bowls", Garland Akin, and "Mary Isham, wife of James isham". Executors William Tunstall, Haynes Morgan, Peter Saunders and Josiah Carter. Patrick Henry, John Fountain, John Salmon guardians of Garland Akin.13|
|Military||1781 - Michael Rowland was in Brice Martin's Company under Col. Abraham Penn at the Battle of Guilford Court House in March of 1781.9|
|Court Record||In April 1781 Michael Rowland is granted a license to keep and ordinary (tavern) in Henry County.5|
|Tax Rolls*||Michael Rowland is listed in the 1782 Henry County, Virginia tax rolls as pauing 1 poll tax and having 8 slaves.14|
|Property*||Deed of Trust is recorded stating "Michael Rowland of Henry County being indebted to George Hairston in amount of 150 pounds offers security 6 negros, Ned, a mulatto man, Bob, Cloe, Jesse a yellow boy, the girl Aggy, one horse, all stocks, cattle, hogs, kitchen furniture, three feather beds, and furniture, chairs, tables, desk, pewter pots, skillets. All crops now growing. This indebtedness may be redemed until December 25, 1788." Henry County, Virginia pages 332-33.1|
|Property||"There is also a deed of record in Henry County dated 8th September 1788 pages 452-453 which reads.: George Hairston and Elizabeth his wife of Henry County to John Redd of the same for the sum of 400 pounds conveys land on Ready Creek being a branch of Smith River containing 570 acres, the land conveyed from Peter Copeland to Michael Rowland, bought by Brady Meredith from Copeland 8 Sept 1788. Signes: George Hairston, Elizabeth Hairston."1|
|County Change*||Lee County formed from Russell County - 1793.|
|Court Record*||1795 - Chancery Causes: Michael Rowland vs George Rowland. John Smith, John Stewart and John Case are mentioned.|
1795-004, Henry County. Chancery Court Records, Library of Virginia.15
|Court Record||1800 - Chancery Causes: John Wells vs Michael Rowland, 1800-010, Henry County. Covers 1798-1800. Chancery Court Records, Library of Virginia.15|
|Court Record||Michael Rowland vs Alexander McGraw in Henry County Court, 1801. It pertains to a loan from Alexander McGraw to Michael Rowland and George Hairston on 17 March 1799 for thirty pounds. Case #1801-001 Henry County, Chancery Court.15|
|Census 1820*||Michael ROWLAND appeared on the census of 1820 in Lee County, Virginia, Roland, Michal - males: 16-25 1, 45+ 1, females: 45+ 1, slaves 2. George Roland is listed on same census page in alpabetical order.16|
|Court Record*||25 November 1820 - Michael and Elizabeth Rowland give and grant to their daughter Jenny Literal a slave named Charlotte. Lee County, Virginia.17|
|Death*||He died between 1821 and 1825. Michael is listed as living in a 21 November 1820 court record and listed as deceased in a 27 May 1825 court record, therefore it could be reasoned that he died sometime between those two court dates.17|
|Court Record||Elizabeth HAIRSTON; Elizabeth Rowland, wife of deceased Michael Rowland, signed a quit claim for land to John Willis on 27 May 1825 in Lee County, Virginia. Deed Book 5, page 295.|
|Elizabeth HAIRSTON b. 13 May 1759, d. a 27 May 1825|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S3047] Meador, George H. - Dunbar Rowland et al. : Adams, Alexander, Beard, Brewer, Bryan, Burton, Clark, Cooper, Hairston, Hampton, Hatcher, Lewis, Moorman, Norman, Smith, Stovall, Reynolds, Taylor and Wade : Mississippi census of 1850, Rolen, Roland, Rolland and Rowland. Call #929.2/R883m, Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- [S3166] Franklin County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, 1786-1858, Ancestry.com.
- [S88] Rowlandva.com, Bob Rowland, Marvell Rowland and Bethany Norberg, n.pub., Updated 05/3/2001.
- [S3183] Summers, L. Preston., Coale, C. B., Bickley, G. W. L. (1929). Annals of southwest Virginia, 1769-1800. Abingdon, Va.: L. P. Summers.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000213451, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S152] Dodd, Jordan, comp.. Virginia Marriages to 1800. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Virginia., Ancestry.com.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S3129] Adams, Lela C. Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books I and Ii, 1776-1784. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1983. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family History Library Film #007645134, images 48-49.,Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3315] Fothergill, Augusta Bridgland (Middleton). Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87: Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1971., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3329] Rowland, Michael and Elizabeth, Deed 25 Nov 1820, Lee County, Virginia, Deed Book 3, page 434. Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia.
|Last Edited||19 Feb 2022|