HAIRSTON.org ID#402, b. 13 May 1759, d. after 27 May 1825
|Father*||Capt. Robert HAIRSTON1,2 b. b 1724, d. b 2 Jun 1791|
|Mother*||Ruth STOVALL3 b. a 1731, d. 3 Mar 1808|
|Birth*||Elizabeth HAIRSTON was born on 13 May 1759 in Virginia.2|
|She was the daughter of Capt. Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL.1,2,3|
|Married Name||As of 20 June 1778,her married name was ROWLAND.|
|Marriage*||Elizabeth HAIRSTON married Michael ROWLAND, son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN, on 20 June 1778 in Henry County, Virginia.4,5,6,7,8,3,9,10|
|Will||In Capt. Robert HAIRSTON's will dated 26 May 1790 in Franklin County, Virginia, Elizabeth HAIRSTON.1,11 was named as an heir; It is interesting to note that Robert lists his sons, granddaughters and all but two daughters as "my beloved". However, he lists daughters Martha Hunter and Jenny Rentfro as "her daughters", indicating his wife Ruth. |
Robert's daughter Sarah "Sally" Hairston, died before his will was written.
PDF transcript of Robert's 1790 will attached -->
|Census 1820||She listed in the household of Michael ROWLAND in 1820 in Lee County, Virginia; Roland, Michal - males: 16-25 1, 45+ 1, females: 45+ 1, slaves 2. George Roland is listed on same census page in alpabetical order.12|
|Court Record*||25 November 1820 - Michael and Elizabeth Rowland give and grant to their daughter Jenny Literal a slave named Charlotte. Lee County, Virginia.13|
|Court Record*||Elizabeth Rowland, wife of deceased Michael Rowland, signed a quit claim for land to John Willis on 27 May 1825 in Lee County, Virginia. Deed Book 5, page 295.|
|Death*||Elizabeth HAIRSTON died after 27 May 1825.|
|Michael ROWLAND b. a 1755, d. bt 1821 - 1825|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S121] Will of Robert Hairston 26 May 1790, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, pages 70-71. Family History Library Film #007644994, images 69-70. Inventory & Appraisel record February 1793. Will Book #1, pages 85-87, 1786-1812. Family History Library Film #007644994, images 77-78. Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3047] Meador, George H. - Dunbar Rowland et al. : Adams, Alexander, Beard, Brewer, Bryan, Burton, Clark, Cooper, Hairston, Hampton, Hatcher, Lewis, Moorman, Norman, Smith, Stovall, Reynolds, Taylor and Wade : Mississippi census of 1850, Rolen, Roland, Rolland and Rowland. Call #929.2/R883m, Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S152] Dodd, Jordan, comp.. Virginia Marriages to 1800. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Virginia., Ancestry.com.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3166] Franklin County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, 1786-1858, Ancestry.com.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3329] Rowland, Michael and Elizabeth, Deed 25 Nov 1820, Lee County, Virginia, Deed Book 3, page 434. Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family History Library Film #007645134, images 48-49.,Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||18 Feb 2022|