HAIRSTON.org ID#29, b. about 1731, d. 3 March 1808
|Father*||Captain George STOVALL1,2,3 b. a 1695, d. a 18 Apr 1786|
|Mother*||Elizabeth (surname unknown)4|
|Birth*||Ruth STOVALL was born about 1731.2|
|She was the daughter of Captain George STOVALL and Elizabeth (surname unknown).1,2,3,4|
|Marriage*||Ruth STOVALL married Capt. Robert HAIRSTON, son of Peter HAIRSTON and Agnes "Irish Lady of Rank" (surname unknown), about 1749 in Albemarle County, Virginia.5,6,7,2,3|
|County Change*||Bedford County formed from Lunenberg County - 1754.|
|Property||Ruth STOVALL witnessed the Property of Capt. Robert HAIRSTON on 28 October 1763 in Bedford County, Virginia; a deed is recorded in which Robert Hairston, Ruth Hairston, Jobe Davis, Thomas Reid, Joseph Slayden and Zaccariah Scruggs witnessed a property sale from David Ross to David Claxton for 153 acres on both sides of Gill creek. (page 280, Bedford County Deed Book B-2.)8|
|Property||Ruth STOVALL witnessed the Property of Samuel HAIRSTON on 24 July 1764 in Bedford County, Virginia; Samuel Hairston, Robert Hairston and Ruth hairston witness a deed from Thomas Cooper to George Stovall Jr. of Amherst County for 300 acres on Possum Creek. (page 450, Bedford County Deed Book B-2.)8|
|Will||In Capt. Robert HAIRSTON's will dated 26 May 1790 in Franklin County, Virginia, Ruth STOVALL.6,9 was named as an heir; It is interesting to note that Robert lists his sons, granddaughters and all but two daughters as "My". However, he lists daughters Martha Hunter and Jenny Rentfro as "her daughters", indicating his wife Ruth. Is it possible they are from another marriage?|
PDF transcript of 1790 will attached -->
|Tax Rolls*||1799 Franklin County - White males 16+ 0, Black males 16+ 8, Black males 12-15 0, Horses 6, Tax $4.24.10|
|Census 1800*||She appeared on the census of 1800, The 1800 Federal Census of Virginia was burned by the British in 1814.|
|Death*||She died on 3 March 1808 in near Beaver Creek, Henry County, Virginia; |
HAIRSTON FAMILY BIBLE.11,5,12
|Burial*||It is believed that Robert and his wife Ruth are buried under the waters of the Philpott Dam, Franklin County, which was completed in 1952. The headstones of Robert and Ruth's garves were supposedly relocated to high ground, but not their remains. There were 19 cemeteries covered by Philpott Lake.7|
|Capt. Robert HAIRSTON b. a 1719, d. b 2 Jun 1791|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S293] The Family of Bartholomew Stovall (Eight Generations of Stovalls in England and America), Neil D. Thompson, Stovall Family Association, 1993.
- [S3047] Meador, George H. - "Dunbar Rowland et al.",, Mississippi Archives and History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S3168] Letter from William Boone Douglas, Law office Stocklager, Heard & Douglas, Washington, D. C. to Mrs N H Hairston, Roanoke, Virginia, 27 Dec 1940.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S121] Will of Robert Hairston 26 May 1790, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, page 70-71. Inventory & Appraisel record Feb 1793. Will Book No. 1, pages 85-87, 1786-1812 (Reel 18). Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S247] Carl Greenway letters relating to Hairston genealogy dated 1965-1966 to various people - Carl Greenway (1917-1974) was a Hairston relative and family genealogist, more information about Carl Greenway can be found here: https://www.hairston.org/p4445.htm
- [S3092] Chilton, Ann. Bedford County, Virginia Deed Book B-2, 1761-1766. Signal Mountain, TN (P.O. Box 400, Signal Mountain 37377: Mountain Press, 1992. Print., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S278] Early Virginia Tax Rolls.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S143] Hairston Family, Bible - Robert Hairston 1755-1844. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments, together with the Apocrypha: Translated Out of the Originial Tongues, and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised.... Philadelphia, Printed and Published by M. Carey, 1817.; State Archives North Carolina 400.1.1.982,.
|Last Edited||28 May 2018|