Captain George STOVALL
HAIRSTON.org ID#1020, b. about 1695, d. after 18 April 1786
|Father*||Bartholomew STOVALL1,2 b. 24 Aug 1665, d. a 1721|
|Mother*||Anne BURTON1 b. 1675, d. a 1725|
|Property||George Stovall acquired 400 acres in Henrico County 16 June 1727 - Library of Virginia, Land Office Patents No. 13, 1725-1730 (v.1 & 2 p.1-540), p. 89 (Reel 12).|
|NOTE*||There is doubt relating to the dates shown below. Did he have children in his 60s, 70s and 80s?|
|Birth*||Captain George STOVALL was born about 1695 in Henrico County, Virginia.2|
|He was the son of Bartholomew STOVALL and Anne BURTON.1,2|
|Marriage*||Captain George STOVALL married Elizabeth (surname unknown) about 1720.3,1,4|
|Property||George Stovall acquired 400 acres in Henrico County on South side of James River on Bartholomew Stovall's line and crossing branches of Stovall's branch on 16 June 1727.5|
|Property*||George Stovall acquired 400 acres in Henrico County 13 October 1727 - Library of Virginia, Land Office Patents No. 13, 1725-1730 (v.1 & 2 p.1-540), p. 226 (Reel 12).5|
|County Change||Goochland County formed from Henrico in 1728.|
|Property||Captain George STOVALL was an adjacent landowner of John STOVALL on 3 December 1733; John Stovall acquired 400 acres in Goochland County on 3 dec 1733. William Mayo and George Stovall were adjacent land owners.|
|Property||Captain George STOVALL was an adjacent landowner of William MAYO on 21 August 1734; William Mayo acquired 3,000 acres in Goochland County on 21 Aug 1734. One of his neighbors were George Stovall.6|
|Court Record||George Stovall is appointed Surveyor of the road above Deep Creek Bridge in Goochland County, May 1737.7|
|Court Record*||1741, Goochland County - "Road to be opened. Ordered that the old road over Deep Creek in the Chapple road be opened and that James Barnes and George Stovals gangs do open the same."|
Goochland County Court Order Book 5, page 5.8
|Court Record||1742, Goochland County - Stovals deed to Roberts. "George Stoval Acknowledges a Deed from himself to William Roberts to be his act and Deed which is ordered to be recorded."|
Goochland County Court Order Book 5, page 43.8
|Property||1742, Goochland County - 200 acres called Beech Adventure adj. to S. side of Fluvanna Riv., crossing Stovall's Cr.: 30 Jul 1742, p. 70. 1 pound.9|
|County Change||Albemarle County formed from Goochland in 1744.|
|Property||George Stovall Sr. acquires 340 acres in Albemarle County 1 June 1750 - Library of Virginia, Land Office Patents No. 29, 1749-1751, (v.1 & 2 p.1-532), p. 170 (Reel 27).|
|Death Spouse*||Captain George STOVALL's wife, Elizabeth "Polly" Cooper, died before 1755.|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth LONDON about 1755 in Virginia.10,2|
|Property||George Stovall Sr. acquires 295 acres in Albemarle County 10 Mar 1756 - Library of Virginia, Land Office Patents No. 34, 1756-1765, p. 7 eel 33-34.|
|Property||George Stovall Sr. acquires 265 acres in Albemarle County 10 Mar 1756 - Library of Virginia, Land Office Patents No. 34, 1756-1765, p. 7 eel 33-34.|
|County Change||Amherst County formed from Albemarle in 1761.|
|Property||George Stovall acquired 202 acres in Bedford County, 14 July 1780 - Land Office Patents B, 1779-1780, p. 419 Reel 43, Library of Virginia.|
|Property||George Stovall acquired 338 acres in Bedford County, 14 July 1780 - Land Office Patents B, 1779-1780, p. 395 Reel 43, Library of Virginia.|
|County Change*||Campbell County formed from part of Bedford.|
|Will*||Captain George STOVALL left a will on 18 April 1786 in Campbell County, Virginia.11,12|
|Death*||He died after 18 April 1786 in Campbell County, Virginia.11,1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 7 December 1786 in Campbell County, Virginia.11,12|
|Elizabeth (surname unknown)|
|Elizabeth LONDON b. a 1736, d. 12 Oct 1812|
- [S3047] Meador, George H. - "Dunbar Rowland et al.",, Mississippi Archives and History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- [S3399] Bishop, Donald E., Descendants of Bartholomew Stovall 1655-1722: First Five Generations. Laurel, Mississippi: Stovall Family Association, 1999. 929.273 St76bd https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/835331, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3168] Letter from William Boone Douglas, Law office Stocklager, Heard & Douglas, Washington, D. C. to Mrs N H Hairston, Roanoke, Virginia, 27 Dec 1940.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S3393] Nugent, Nell Marion. Cavaliers And Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents And Grants : Volume Three: 1695-1732. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1979., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3121] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Four, 1732-1741. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3357] Blomquist, Ann K., Goochland County Virginia Court Order Book 4, 1735-1741, Heritage Books, 2010, unknown repository.
- [S3080] Blomquist, Ann K., Goochland County Virginia Court Order Book 5, Heritage Books, 2007, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3124] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Seven, 1762-1776. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1999. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S293] The Family of Bartholomew Stovall (Eight Generations of Stovalls in England and America), Neil D. Thompson, Stovall Family Association, 1993.
- [S3081] Will of George Stovall -1786 - Campbell County Wills and Administrations (1782 - 1800) p. 90-92. Will pro. 7 Dec 1786, p. 102. Inv. rec. 5 July 1787. Will Book 1, 1782-1800 (Reel 19), Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3109] Clemens, William M. Virginia Wills Before 1799: A Complete Abstract Register of All Names Mentioned in Over Six Hundred Recorded Wills ... Copied from the Court House Records of Amherst, Bedford, Campbell, Loudoun, Prince William, and Rockbridge Counties. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1973. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||1 Mar 2018|