Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#988, b. 16 October 1767, d. 28 October 1839
|Father*||Capt. Robert HAIRSTON1 b. a 1719, d. b 2 Jun 1791|
|Mother*||Ruth STOVALL b. a 1731, d. 3 Mar 1808|
|Birth*||Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON was born on 16 October 1767 in Virginia.2,3|
|She was the daughter of Capt. Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL.1|
|Marriage*||Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON married Capt. Joshua RENTFRO, son of Joseph RENTFRO and Mary (surname unknown), on 22 August 1785 in Henry County, Virginia; by Minister William Lovell.3|
|Will||In Capt. Robert HAIRSTON's will dated 26 May 1790 in Franklin County, Virginia, Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON.1,4 was named as an heir; It is interesting to note that Robert lists his sons, granddaughters and all but two daughters as "My". However, he lists daughters Martha Hunter and Jenny Rentfro as "her daughters", indicating his wife Ruth. Is it possible they are from another marriage?|
PDF transcript of 1790 will attached -->
|Death Spouse*||She's husband, Capt. Joshua Rentfro, died in 1815.|
|Census 1820*||She appeared on the census of 1820 in Breckinridge County, Kentucky, Males: 26-44 1, Females: under 10 1, 10-15 1, 45+ 1, slaves 9.5|
|Census 1830*||She appeared on the census of 1830 in Meade County, Kentucky, Mals: 20-29 1, Females: 5-9 1, 15-19 1, 6-69 1, slaves 3.6|
|Death*||She died on 28 October 1839 in Kentucky at age 72.2,7,3|
|Burial*||She was buried in Parr-Frans Cemetery, Wolf Creek, Meade County, Kentucky; |
Photo: Find A Grave by Shirley Brown.2,8,9
|NOTE*||The source of the name of Peter's wife is from a 1940 letter from Mr. William Boone Douglass to Mrs. W. N. Hairston. The letter references the bible of Jane "Jenny" Hairston, Robert Hairston's daughter. In the bible she writes that she named her 5th child "Agnes", for her grandmother Hairston. Copy of letter attached.3|
|Capt. Joshua RENTFRO b. 1 Jul 1757, d. 5 Sep 1815|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S121] Will of Robert Hairston 26 May 1790, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, page 70-71. Inventory & Appraisel record Feb 1793. Will Book No. 1, pages 85-87, 1786-1812 (Reel 18). Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S133] Parr-Frans Cemetery, Meade County, Kentucky.
- [S242] Douglas, William Boone (founding member The Institution of American Genealogy), Hairston, Rentfro and Boone Genealogy Letter to Mrs. N. H. Hairston, Washington, D.C., 27 December 1940.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S241] Spraker, Hazel Atterbury, A Genealocical History of The Descendants of George and Mary Boone Who Came to America in 1717, The Tuttle Company, Rutland, Vermont, 1922.
- [S3162] Email: Faith Bishoff, 25 Oct 2001 - Faith is a 4th great-granddaughter of Jenny Hairston Rentfro.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
|Last Edited||10 Jun 2018|