Capt. Joshua RENTFRO
HAIRSTON.org ID#989, b. 1 July 1757, d. 5 September 1815
|Father*||Joseph RENTFRO1 b. a 1700, d. b 25 Mar 1776|
|Mother*||Mary (surname unknown)|
|Birth*||Capt. Joshua RENTFRO was born on 1 July 1757 in Virginia.2|
|He was the son of Joseph RENTFRO and Mary (surname unknown).1|
|Will||In Joseph RENTFRO's will dated 14 November 1772 in Bedford County, Virginia, Capt. Joshua RENTFRO was named as an heir.3|
|Military||Michael Rowland and Joshua Renfro were with Col. William Christian, Col. Charles Lewis and Major Evan Shelby on the Cherokee Expedition (Christie's Campaign) in August, 1776. About 1,800 Virginian volunteers attacked Cherokee lands (now Tennessee) after the British encouraged them to attack the settlers. There were also volunteers from Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina attacking from the south.4|
|County Change||Henry County formed from Pittsylvania County - 1777.|
|Military*||Joshua Rentfro became a 2nd Lieut. in Capt. Haile's company. Also listed as being under Capt. John Rentro in July 1780, Henry Co..5,6|
|Property*||Joshua Rentfroe acquired 110 acres in Henry County on 1 September 1780. This land was surveyed 14 Oct 1773 (formerly Pittsylvania County). Book E, p. 649.7,8|
|Marriage*||He married Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON, daughter of Capt. Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL, on 22 August 1785 in Henry County, Virginia, by Minister William Lovell.2|
|Tax Rolls*||In 1786, Joshua Rentfro appeared on the tax rolls of Franklin County, Virginia.7|
|Tax Rolls||Jashua rentfroe was on the 1786 tax list of Franklin County.7|
|County Change*||Franklin County formed from Bedford and Henry Counties - 1786.|
|Elected*||Capt. Joshua RENTFRO was Elected in 1788; Joshua Rentfro represented Franklin County in the Virginia House of Delegates in 1788, 1789, 1790 and 1793.7|
|Tax Rolls||Joshua is listed on page 219 of tax lists for Christian County, Kentucky.|
|Census 1810*||He appeared on the census of 1810 in Breckinridge County, Kentucky, Free White Persons: Males - 1 < 10, 1 10-15, 2 16-25, 1 > 45; Females - 2 < 10, 1 10-15, 2 16-25, 1 26-44; Slaves 17.9|
|Death*||He died on 5 September 1815 at age 58. Joshua Rentfro was robbed and killed 5 September 1815 taking a boat load of produce to New Orleans.2,10|
|Burial*||He was buried in Parr Cemetery, Meade County, Kentucky.11|
|NOTE||DAR National #407813 #289895.|
|Jane "Jenny" HAIRSTON b. 16 Oct 1767, d. 28 Oct 1839|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S113] Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications.
- [S242] Douglas, William Boone (Great-grandson of Jane "Jenny" Hairston Rentfro and founding member The Institution of American Genealogy) wrote a letter to Mrs. N. H. Hairston (Elizabeth Seawell Hairston, author of "The hairstons and the Penns..."), Washington, D.C., 27 December 1940.
- [S3055] Will of Joseph Rentfro - 1772 - Bedford County, Virginia Will Book 1.
- [S3183] Summers, L. Preston., Coale, C. B., Bickley, G. W. L. (1929). Annals of southwest Virginia, 1769-1800. Abingdon, Va.: L. P. Summers.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000213451, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S149] McAllister, J T. Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War: Mcallister's Data. Hot Springs, Va: McAllister Pub. Co, 1913. Print. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101013939630, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3079] Wingfield, Marshall. Franklin County, Virginia: A History. Berryville, VA: Chesapeake Book Co, 1964. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3125] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Eight, 1779-1782. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2005. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3168] Letter from William Boone Douglas, Law office Stocklager, Heard & Douglas, Washington, D. C. to Mrs N H Hairston, Roanoke, Virginia, 27 Dec 1940.
- [S3162] Email from Faith Bishoff, 25 Oct 2001 - Faith Bishoff is a 4th great-granddaughter of Jenny Hairston Rentfro.
- [S241] Spraker, Hazel Atterbury, A Genealocical History of The Descendants of George and Mary Boone Who Came to America in 1717, The Tuttle Company, Rutland, Vermont, 1922.
- [S3399] Bishop, Donald E., Descendants of Bartholomew Stovall 1655-1722: First Five Generations. Laurel, Mississippi: Stovall Family Association, 1999. 929.273 St76bd https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/835331, Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||1 Sep 2021|