Peter Hairston ROWLAND
HAIRSTON.org ID#6511, b. about 1798, d. 9 May 1877
|Father*||Michael ROWLAND b. a 1755, d. bt 1821 - 1825|
|Mother*||Elizabeth HAIRSTON b. 13 May 1759|
|Birth*||Peter Hairston ROWLAND was born about 1798 in Henry County, Virginia.1,2|
|He was the son of Michael ROWLAND and Elizabeth HAIRSTON.|
|Marriage*||Peter Hairston ROWLAND married Nancy LITTRELL on 16 October 1821 in Claibourne County, Tennessee.1,3,4|
|Deed*||On 7 February 1824, Peter H. Rowland enters into an indenture deed in trust with John McKeon and Robert C. Fulkerson. Lee County Will Book 5, pages 150-152. FSL images 346-347.5|
|Census 1840*||Peter Hairston ROWLAND appeared on the census of 1840 in Lee County, Virginia, Peter Roland - Males: under 5 2, 15-19 1, 40-49 1, Females: 5-9 2, 10-14 2, 30-39 1.6|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 18 September 1850 in Lee County, Virginia; Peter H. Roland 52, nancy 44, Elizabeth 22, Abigail 20, Ruth 18, Mary 16, Mitchell 14, Daniel 12, Celia 10, Samuel 7, John 4.1|
|Census 1860*||He was Head of Household on 26 June 1860 in Rose Hill, Lee County, Virginia. Peter H Bolen 62, Nancy 53, Abagell 30, Caly 19, Samuel 16, John 13, Peter 9.2|
|Census 1870*||He was Head of Household on 1 October 1870 in Lee County, Virginia, Peter H. Roland 72 born in Henry County, Virginia. He can not read or write. Peter is living next to his son Michael Roland 34 born in Lee County, Virginia.7|
|Death*||He died on 9 May 1877 in Lee County, Virginia.3,4|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 24 January 1878 in Lee County, Virginia.3|
|Military*||On 29 May 1878, Nancy Littrell Rowland files a War of 1812 - Claim of Widow for Service Pension application.4|
|NOTE*||NOTE: Peter H. Rowland is listed in the 1870 census as not being able to read or write. Peter's mother's maiden name was Hairston and it was quite common to give a child her maiden name as a middle name. |
As to Peter Hairston Rowland. There is strong circumstantial evidence he is the son of Michael due to the middle name Hairston and that Michael has a male listed in the 1820 census that could be Peter Hairston Rowland. If Peter Hairston Rowland was born about 1798, he can't be a son of Baldwin and Sarah because Sarah died a few years before Peter was born.
|Nancy LITTRELL b. a 1806|
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3332] Probate - Peter H. Rowland 1798-1877, Chancery Records, Lee County, Virginia, Index Number 1897-015, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3712] War of 1812 Pension Applications. Washington D.C.: National Archives., Ancestry.com.
- [S3786] Lee County Virginia Will Book 4-5 - 1813-1827 - Family Search Library Film #7645439., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||12 Aug 2023|