|Mother*||Ruth NORMAN1 b. a 1731|
|George ROWLAND was the son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN.1|
|Oath to Virginia*||George ROWLAND on 30 August 1777, in Henry County, Virginia, county, took Oath Of Allegiance to Commonwealth of Virginia and renounced allegiance to Great Britian.2|
|Property*||1780 Henry County - George Rowland purchases 300 acres on the north side of Marrowbone Creek for 2,000 pounds from Thomas and Mary Hamilton (Hambleton) on 25 May 1780. Witnessed by John Barksdill, P. Hairston (399), Samuel Hairston (401) and Michael Rowland (1010).|
|Property*||1780 Henry County - John Marr, George Rowland and John Rowland Sr sold to Josias Shaw, 600 acres on Macain's corner of Marrowbone Creek, for 10,200 pounds. 25 May 1780.3|
|Will||In John ROWLAND's will dated 5 July 1780 in Henry County, Virginia, George ROWLAND was named as an heir; His will mentions "my brother Michael Rowland's eldest son William Roland", "my brother George Rowland", "my wife Mary", "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland", "two sons of Joshua Bowls dec'd....their mother Sarah Bowls", Garland Akin, and "Mary Isham, wife of James Isham". Executors were William Tunstall, Haynes Morgan, Peter Saunders and Josiah Carter. Patrick Henry, John Fountain, John Salmon guardians of Garland Akin. Witnessed by Baldwin Rowland, Henry Barksdale and John Salmon - Henry County Will Book 1, p. 37-39. FSL 7898570-29 NOTE: the will states "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland" This could be a transcription error, since George Jr. would normally be the son of George.1,4|
|Court Record||Baldwin ROWLAND; Baldwin Rowland purchases from William Gardner, a negro man named Lall for three thousand pounds. Witnessed by George Rowland and John Cox. 29 September 1780 in Henry County, Virginia. Also on same date, Baldwin purchased "one negro fellow" from Henson Gardner. Witnessed by John Barksdill and Brice Martin.3|
|Marriage||George ROWLAND witnessed the marriage of Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON and Baldwin ROWLAND on 8 May 1782 in Henry County, Virginia; May 8, 1782 is actually the date of bond. Robert Hairston listed as father of bride and George Rowland is security or witness. - Henry County Register of Marriages, page 5. FSL 7578991-127.5,6,7,8|
|Court Record*||1795 - Chancery Causes: Michael Rowland vs George Rowland. John Smith, John Stewart and John Case are mentioned. - Case #1795-004, Henry County, Chancery Court Records, Library of Virginia.9|
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family Search Library Film #7645134, images 29-30.,Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3129] Adams, Lela C. Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books I and Ii, 1776-1784. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1983. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3781] Henry County Virginia Will Book 1-3 1777-1831 - Family Search Library Film 7645134., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families, Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va. (THERE ARE MANY ERRORS IN THIS BOOK) Ancestry.com.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
|Last Edited||16 Aug 2023|