HAIRSTON.org ID#970, b. about 1759, d. about 1809
|Father*||Andrew ROWLAND1 b. 1731|
|Mother*||Ruth NORMAN b. a 1731|
|Birth*||Baldwin ROWLAND was born about 1759 in Halifax County, Virginia.2|
|He was the son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN.1|
|County Name||Pittsylvania County formed from Halifax County - 1767.|
|County Name*||Henry County formed from Pittsylvanis County - 1777.|
|Property||Baldwin ROWLAND witnessed the Property of John ROWLAND and Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 28 May 1778 in Henry County, Virginia; 1778 Henry County - John and Mary Rowland sell 153 acres to George Hairston 0n 28 May 1778. Witnessed by Baldwin Rowland.3|
|Court Record*||March 1779 - John and Baldin Rowland were licensed to keep an ordinary (tavern) in Henry County.4|
|Will||Baldwin ROWLAND witnessed the will of John ROWLAND on 5 July 1780 in Henry County, Virginia; His will mentions "my brother Michael Rowlands eldest son William Roland", "my brother George Rowland", "my wife Mary", "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland", "two sons od Joshua Bowls dec'd....their mother Sarah Bowls", Garland Akin, and "Mary Isham, wife of James isham". Executors William Tunstall, Haynes Morgan, Peter Saunders and Josiah Carter. Patrick Henry, John Fountain, John Salmon guardians of Garland Akin.5|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland purchases from William Gardner, a negro man named Lall for three thousand pounds. Witnessed by George Rowland and John Cox. 29 September 1780 in Henry County, Virginia. Also on same date, Baldwin purchased "one negro fellow" from Henson Gardner. Witnessed by John Barksdill and Brice Martin.3|
|Court Record*||"Baldwin Rowland purchasing commissary at Hospital at Henry C. H. for 2 months & 16 days servioces for himself & one horse & forage for said horse from Feb'y till 5 May 1781."|
Henry County records in the clerk office. Virginia Historical Magazine, June, 1903 - Volume X, page 358.6
|Tax Rolls*||Baldwin Rowland paid 1 poll tax and had 2 slaves in the 1782 Henry County tax records.7|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland witnessed the sale of land by Thomas Stockton to James Bartlett. Brice Martin and John Barksdale also witnessed the sale.3|
|Marriage*||Baldwin ROWLAND married Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON, daughter of Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL, on 8 May 1782 in Henry County, Virginia.8,9,10,11|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland was fined 10 pounds for "behaving contempuously to the court" and put into the stocks for one hour, in Franklin County on 3 Nov 1787.12|
|Death Spouse*||His wife, Sarah "Sally" Hairston, died before 26 May 1790. She left him with two young daughters, Elizabeth and Martha, to take care of.11|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland vs. William Hunter in Henry County Court, Virginia in July 1795.13|
|Court Record||Hezekiah Salmon Sr. vs Baldwin Rowland Sr. in Henry County Court, Virginia 1806. Names listed in case: Elkins, Hairston, Redd, Taylor, Bowldin, Baldwin, Bouldin, Dillen, Dillan, Bailey, Roland, Mills, Cayton, Caton, Cox, Groves, Waller and Pyrtle. Case #1806-005.13|
|Death*||Baldwin ROWLAND died about 1809.|
|Probate*||An inventory of the estate of Baldwin Rowland dec'd., 20 April 1809, was recorded in Henry County Virginia Will Book 2, pages 181-182. Family History Library Film #007645134, images 281-282.|
|Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON b. a 1764, d. b 26 May 1790|
- [S3166] Franklin County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, 1786-1858, Ancestry.com.
- [S88] Rowlandva.com, Bob Rowland, Marvell Rowland and Bethany Norberg, n.pub., Updated 05/3/2001.
- [S3129] Adams, Lela C. Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books I and Ii, 1776-1784. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1983. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family History Library Film #007645134, images 48-49.,Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S111] Virginia Historical Magazine, Henry County, VA Vol. 9, June 1902 page 417.
- [S3315] Fothergill, Augusta Bridgland (Middleton). Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87: Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1971., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com, Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||18 Feb 2022|