HAIRSTON.org ID#970, b. about 1759, d. about 1809
|Mother*||Ruth NORMAN b. a 1731|
|Birth*||Baldwin ROWLAND was born about 1759 in Halifax County, Virginia.3|
|He was the son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN.1,2|
|County Name||Pittsylvania County formed from Halifax County - 1767.|
|County Name*||1777 - Henry County formed from Pittsylvania.4|
|Deed||Baldwin ROWLAND witnessed the Property of John ROWLAND and Mary (surname unknown) on 28 May 1778 in Henry, Virginia; 1778 Henry County - John and Mary Rowland sell 153 acres to George Hairston on 28 May 1778. Witnessed by Baldwin Rowland. - Henry County Deed Book 1, p. 186. FSL 7898570-114.5|
|Court Record*||March 1779 - John and Baldin Rowland were licensed to keep an ordinary (tavern) in Henry County.6|
|Will||Baldwin ROWLAND witnessed the will of John ROWLAND on 5 July 1780 in Henry County, Virginia; His will mentions "my brother Michael Rowland's eldest son William Roland", "my brother George Rowland", "my wife Mary", "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland", "two sons of Joshua Bowls dec'd....their mother Sarah Bowls", Garland Akin, and "Mary Isham, wife of James Isham". Executors were William Tunstall, Haynes Morgan, Peter Saunders and Josiah Carter. Patrick Henry, John Fountain, John Salmon guardians of Garland Akin. Witnessed by Baldwin Rowland, Henry Barksdale and John Salmon - Henry County Will Book 1, p. 37-39. FSL 7898570-29 NOTE: the will states "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland" This could be a transcription error, since George Jr. would normally be the son of George.7,8|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland purchases from William Gardner, a negro man named Lall for three thousand pounds. Witnessed by George Rowland and John Cox. 29 September 1780 in Henry County, Virginia. Also on same date, Baldwin purchased "one negro fellow" from Henson Gardner. Witnessed by John Barksdill and Brice Martin.5|
|Court Record*||"Baldwin Rowland purchasing commissary at Hospital at Henry C. H. for 2 months & 16 days servioces for himself & one horse & forage for said horse from Feb'y till 5 May 1781."|
Henry County records in the clerk office. Virginia Historical Magazine, June, 1903 - Volume X, page 358.9
|Tax Rolls*||Baldwin Rowland paid 1 poll tax and had 2 slaves in the 1782 Henry County tax records.10|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland witnessed the sale of land by Thomas Stockton to James Bartlett. Brice Martin and John Barksdale also witnessed the sale.5|
|Marriage*||Baldwin ROWLAND married Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON, daughter of Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL, on 8 May 1782 in Henry County, Virginia. May 8, 1782 is actually the date of bond. Robert Hairston listed as father of bride and George Rowland is security or witness. - Henry County Register of Marriages, page 5. FSL 7578991-127.11,12,13,2|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland was fined 10 pounds for "behaving contempuously to the court" and put into the stocks for one hour, in Franklin County, Virginia on 3 November 1787.14|
|Death Spouse*||His wife, Sarah "Sally" Hairston, died before 26 May 1790 and left him with two young daughters, Elizabeth and Martha.2|
|Court Record||Baldwin Rowland vs. William Hunter in Henry County Court, Virginia in July 1795.15|
|Tax Rolls||1806 - Baldwin Rowland paid taxes for 2 white tithes, 1 black tithe, 5 horses in Henry County - FSL 7849140-566.|
|Court Record||Hezekiah Salmon Sr. vs Baldwin Rowland Sr. in Henry County Court, Virginia 1806. Names listed in case: Elkins, Hairston, Redd, Taylor, Bowldin, Baldwin, Bouldin, Dillen, Dillan, Bailey, Roland, Mills, Cayton, Caton, Cox, Groves, Waller and Pyrtle. Case #1806-005.15|
|Death*||Baldwin ROWLAND died about 1809.|
|Probate*||An inventory of the estate of Baldwin Rowland dec'd., 20 April 1809, was recorded in Henry County Virginia Will Book 2, pages 181-182. FSL 7645134-281.8|
|NOTE*||NOTE: There are questions as to whether Sarah "Sally" Hairston was the daughter of Capt. Robert Hairston, since she was not mentioned in Robert's will or in the bibles listing Robert's children. Sarah Hairston Baldwin died sometime between her daughter Martha's birth 8 January 1785 and Baldwin Rowland's second marriage on 8 December 1788. In the book "History of Henry County, Virginia" (1925) by Judith Hill, she states that Sarah Hairston Rowland's daughters, Elizabeth and Martha, were taken to their grandparents, Robert and Ruth Hairston, after Sarah's death. When their grandfather Robert Hairston died, Elizabeth and Sarah were taken to Samuel and Judith Hairston until adulthood. Also, in the 1782 marriage records of Baldwin Rowland and Sarah Hairston, Robert Hairston is listed as Sarah's father.|
There is a marriage recorded between Baldy Rowland and Elizabeth Carpenter on 6 November 1788, by Joseph Anthony, in the Henry County County Register of Marriages, page 156.2
|Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON b. a 1764, d. b 26 May 1790|
- [S3166] Wingfield, Marshall, Marriage Bonds of Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1858 - 1939, West Tennessee Historical Society, Memphis, Tennessee, Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families, Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va. (THERE ARE MANY ERRORS IN THIS BOOK) Ancestry.com.
- [S88] Rowlandva.com, Bob Rowland, Marvell Rowland and Bethany Norberg, n.pub., Updated 05/3/2001.
- [S3417] Doran, Michael, Atlas of Virginia County Boundary Changes, 1634-1895, Iberian Publishing Co., Athens, GA1987., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3129] Adams, Lela C. Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books I and Ii, 1776-1784. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1983. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family Search Library Film #7645134, images 29-30.,Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3781] Henry County Virginia Will Book 1-3 1777-1831 - Family Search Library Film 7645134., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S111] Virginia Historical Magazine, Henry County, VA Vol. 9, June 1902 page 417.
- [S3315] Fothergill, Augusta Bridgland (Middleton). Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87: Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1971., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com - CAUTION - this book was written in 1933 and has many errors regarding the Hairston family., Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||10 Nov 2023|