Martha Hairston ROWLAND
HAIRSTON.org ID#1221, b. 8 January 1785, d. 26 August 1872
|Father*||Baldwin ROWLAND1,2 b. a 1759, d. a 1809|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON b. a 1764, d. b 26 May 1790|
|Birth*||Martha Hairston ROWLAND was born on 8 January 1785 in Franklin County, Virginia.3|
|She was the daughter of Baldwin ROWLAND and Sarah "Sally" HAIRSTON.1,2|
|Will||Martha Hairston ROWLAND was mentioned in the will of Robert HAIRSTON on 26 May 1790 in Franklin County, Virginia; Robert's daughter Sarah "Sally" Hairston died before his will was written.4,5|
|Deed||Martha Hairston ROWLAND witnessed the Property of Peter HAIRSTON and Col. Samuel HAIRSTON on 1 October 1801 in Franklin County, Virginia; On October 1, 1801, Peter Hairston, his wife Alcey, Samuel Hairston and his wife Judith, sold 310 acres on Beaver Creek for 600 pounds Virginia money to Luckville King. - Franklin County District Court Deed Book 1, page 327-329 + 336-337. Family Search Library Film #7898087, images 189-190 + 194.|
|Marriage*||Martha Hairston ROWLAND married Charles Cabaniss BAILEY, son of Parks BAILEY and Mary CABINESS, on 26 March 1818 in Franklin County, Virginia.6,2|
|Relocated*||Martha Hairston ROWLAND relocated to Troup County, Georgia, in 1827.2|
|Census 1850||She appeared on the 1850 census of Charles Cabaniss BAILEY on 9 September 1850 in Troup County, Georgia; E. H. Rowland 67 living with C. C. 60 and Martha Bailey 64.7|
|Census 1860||Martha Hairston ROWLAND appeared on the 1860 census of Charles Cabaniss BAILEY on 11 June 1860 in Troup County, Georgia.8|
|Death*||Martha Hairston ROWLAND died on 26 August 1872 at age 87.3|
|Burial*||She was buried in Bailey-Traylor Cemetery, Troup County, Georgia.3|
|NOTE*||NOTE: In the book "History of Henry County, Virginia" by Judith Hill, she states that the daughters Elizabeth Rowland and Martha Rowland were taken to their grandparents, Robert and Ruth Hairston, after the death of Sarah Hairston Baldwin on 26 May 1790. When their grandfather Robert Hairston died on 2 June 1791, Elizabeth and Martha, were taken to Samuel and Judith Hairston until adulthood.|
|Charles Cabaniss BAILEY b. 3 Mar 1790, d. 11 Jul 1865|
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com - CAUTION - this book was written in 1933 and has many errors regarding the Hairston family., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families, Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va. (THERE ARE MANY ERRORS IN THIS BOOK) Ancestry.com.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S121] Will of Robert Hairston 26 May 1790, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, pages 70-71. Family History Search Film #7644994, images 69-70. Inventory & Appraisel record February 1793. Will Book #1, pages 85-87, 1786-1812. Family Search Library Film #7644994, images 77-78. Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3131] Salmon, John S, and Emily J. Salmon. Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1986: A Bicentennial History. Rocky Mount, Va: Franklin County Bicentennial Commission, 1993. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3166] Wingfield, Marshall, Marriage Bonds of Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1858 - 1939, West Tennessee Historical Society, Memphis, Tennessee, Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||15 Aug 2023|