HAIRSTON.org ID#6592, d. before 29 September 1780
|Father*||Andrew ROWLAND1,2 b. 1731|
|Mother*||Ruth NORMAN1 b. a 1731|
|John ROWLAND was the son of Andrew ROWLAND and Ruth NORMAN.1,2|
|Marriage||John ROWLAND married Mary (surname unknown).1|
|Marriage*||John ROWLAND married Elizabeth HAMPTON in 1728.3,2,4|
|Court Record||1777 - the first county court of Henry County was held in the home of John Rowland. Abram Penn, Edmund Lyne, Peter Saunders and George Waller attended.5,6|
|Property||1778 Henry County - John and Mary Rowland sell 153 acres to George Hairston 0n 28 May 1778. Witnessed by Baldwin Rowland.7|
|Court Record||March 1779 - John and Baldin Rowland were licensed to keep an ordinary (tavern) in Henry County.8|
|Property||1780 Henry County - John Rowland Sr. sold to John Acuff, land of 40 acres on Leatherwood waters joining Lomax, John Minter and Acuff, for five hundred pounds. Witnessed by George Hairstone, John Wells and Will Blevens.7|
|Property||1780 Henry County - John Marr, George Rowland and John Rowland Sr sold to Josias Shaw, 600 acres on Macain's corner of Marrowbone Creek, for 10,200 pounds. 25 May 1780.7|
|Will||John ROWLAND left a will on 5 July 1780 in Henry County, Virginia, His will mentions "my brother Michael Rowlands eldest son William Roland", "my brother George Rowland", "my wife Mary", "to George Rowland Jr. and William Rowland, sons of Gilbert Roland", "two sons od Joshua Bowls dec'd....their mother Sarah Bowls", Garland Akin, and "Mary Isham, wife of James isham". Executors William Tunstall, Haynes Morgan, Peter Saunders and Josiah Carter. Patrick Henry, John Fountain, John Salmon guardians of Garland Akin..1|
|Death*||He died before 29 September 1780 in Henry County, Virginia.1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 29 September 1780 in Henry County, Virginia. The will was presented to the court on 29 September 1780 by William Tunstall and Peter Saunders who gave bond with John Fountain and George Hairston.1|
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family History Library Film #007645134, images 48-49.,Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3166] Franklin County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, 1786-1858, Ancestry.com.
- [S3047] Meador, George H. - Dunbar Rowland et al. : Adams, Alexander, Beard, Brewer, Bryan, Burton, Clark, Cooper, Hairston, Hampton, Hatcher, Lewis, Moorman, Norman, Smith, Stovall, Reynolds, Taylor and Wade : Mississippi census of 1850, Rolen, Roland, Rolland and Rowland. Call #929.2/R883m, Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- [S3073] Hill, Judith Parks America, A History of Henry County, Virginia : With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families,Press of Bulletin Printing and Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1925 - Henry County, Va.
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3129] Adams, Lela C. Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books I and Ii, 1776-1784. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1983. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
|Last Edited||21 Feb 2022|