HAIRSTON.org ID#849, b. about 1744, d. about April 1808
|Father*||(surname unknown) HAIRSTON|
|Birth*||William HAIRSTON was born about 1744, It appears from the 1800 census that William and his wife were over 45 years old and therefore born before 1755. In 1778 he was on a jury and should have been over 21, therefore born before 1757..1,2|
|He was the son of (surname unknown) HAIRSTON.|
|Marriage*||William HAIRSTON married Ann S. (surname unknown) about 1765.3|
|County Change*||1769 - Ninety-Six District formed from Granville County.|
|Property*||1773 Granville County - obtained a land grant for 100 acres.|
Series S213019, Vol. 28, Page 162
NOTE: Granville County was replaced by Ninety-Six District in 1769. Therfore, Willim Hairston probably occupied this land before 1769.4
|Property||1775 Granville County - obtained 89 acres on Parks Branch of the Savannah River on January 6, 1775. Adjacent landowners were Agnes Gordon, John Buchaan, Joseph McKinley and widow Sharp. A Memorial was filed on 14 Nov 1775.|
Series S213184, Vol. 15, page 248.4
|Court Record||1778 - 1779 - William Hairston and his brother John are on "A List of Petit-Jurymen and Jury Men in Civil Causes" for the Ninety-Six District. Miscellaneous Act No. 1123 - The Determination of Jury Lists for District Ninety-Six, page 85.2|
|Court Record*||William Hairston is listed on "A List of Petit-Jurymen and Jury Men in Civil Causes" in Long Cane and Places Adjacent, Ninety-Six District, South Carolina - 1778-1779.2|
|Military*||Served under Col. Anderson from 1777 to 1783. A.A.3226; O663 - page 400.5|
|Probate||William HAIRSTON was the administrator of Thomas HAIRSTON's estate on 20 November 1782 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; "Est. admnt. Nov. 20, 1782 by Wm. Hairston, Jno. McCord, Robt. Maxwell bound to Jno. Ewing Calhoun Ord. 96 Dist. sum 14,000 lbs. Wm. Hairston next kin. Inv. made Dec. 10, 1782 by Jno. Irwing, Jno. Calhoun, Saml. McMurtey." (BOX 46, PACK 1044.)6|
|County Change||1785 - Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District.|
|Property||Ninety-Six District, South Carolina, 10 September 1785 - registered a plat for 308 acres on northeast side of Twenty Six Mile Creek bounding S E on james Cannons land, all other sides on land laid out & vacant land when surveyed by Thomas Lofton D: D; on 10th of September 1785. Recorded 15th November 1785. This is now Abbeville County.4|
|Census 1790*||William HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males: under 16 3, 16+ 2, Females: 3|
Abbeville, South Carolina; Series: M637; Roll: 11; Page: 464; Image: 277; Family History Library Film: 0568151.7
|Court Record||On 26 March 1795 in Abbeville he helped make an inventory of the William Adams estate along with Peter Hairston, Simeon Williams, Capt. John Irwin and Reuben Shotwell.|
William Hairston appraised the estate of Mary Cain as noted on her will recorded 27 March 1798 in the Abbeville Courthouse.6
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males 16-25 2, 45+ 1, Females 10-15 1, 45+ 1. (appears that that William, Thomas and Agnes still living with parents.)1|
|Will*||He left a will on 18 March 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, PDF transcript of will attached.3|
|Death*||He died about April 1808 in South Carolina.6|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 9 April 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.6|
|Probate||A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price.|
|NOTE*||NOTE: Who were his parents and where was he born? William Hairston named James Lomax executor in his will. James Lomax was born in Rockingham, NC about 1755 and moved to Abbeville, South Carolina about 1779.|
|Ann S. (surname unknown) b. a 1746|
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3180] The Jury Lists of South Carolina 1778-1779, Compliled by Ge Lee Corley Hendrix and Morn McKoy Lindsay, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1980, Ancestry.com.
- [S232] Will of William Hairston - 18 March 1808, Abbeville District, South Carolina, Will Book 1, Page 360. http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/…, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S233] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American. Online ancestry.com.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3413] Greenway, Carl Forrest - letter to Mrs C L Thompson, 4 Jan 1966 - Carl Greenway (1917-1974) was a Hairston relative and family genealogist, more information about Carl Greenway can be found here: https://www.hairston.org/p4445.htm, Personal Collection - copy.
|Last Edited||11 May 2021|