HAIRSTON.org ID#1734, b. before 1747, d. before 7 October 1782
|Father*||SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown)|
|Birth*||Thomas HAIRSTON was born before 1747. (Date of birth based on being 21 when buying land.)1,2|
|He was the son of SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown).|
|County Change*||1768 - Berkley County was abolished in 1768. It had been formed from Craven County in 1682, but never had a functional government and was not surveyed.2|
|Property*||Thomas Hairston obtained a land grant for 200 acres on Rayburns Creek in Berkeley County - 8 June 1773.|
NOTE: Berkeley County was discontinued in 1768, so Thomas Hairston probably acquired this property before 1768. If this is true, he was 21 or older. That would mean he was born before 1747.
"A Memorial exhibited by Thos. Hairston to be registered in the Auditor Ofc. of a plantation ot tract of 200 Acres of land in Berkley County on the waters of Rayburns Creek bounding on Zachariah Ganat all other sides on vacant land Survey Certified the 5 Jan 1773 Granted the 23 of Jany 1773 to the Mem. 2 / 3/ 4 per 100 Acres to commence two years from date In Witness thereof he hath hereinto Set his hand the 8th June 1773 John Caldwell D J del June 29th 1773 to John Irwin" Memorial, vol. 12-13 1771-1775 page 236. Family History Library Film #00819057, image 147.1,2
|Military*||"He served as a horseman under Capt. John Wilson from 27 December 1780 to 8 April 1782, South Carolina. A.A.3225; O454."|
"Issued the 23rd of April 1785 to Mr. William Harriston --- for Estate of Mr. Thos. Harristane, for Four pounds, five shillings, & eight pence, hald penny, Sterling for 30 day Militia Duty in 1780, & 1782......."3,4
|Death*||Thomas HAIRSTON died before 7 October 1782.5|
|Court Record*||On October 17, 1782, William Hairston provides a citation on the Estate of Thomas Hairston, late of 96 District, deceased, Intestate, as next of kin. Recorded on page 50, of Book B. Abbeville County, South Carolina.6|
|Probate||His estate was probated on 7 October 1782 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; "Oct. 7, 1782 - William Hairston a Citation on the Estate of Thomas Hairston, late of 96 District, deceased, Intestate, as next of Kin. Recorded on page 50."7|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 20 November 1782 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; "Est. admnt. Nov. 20, 1782 by Wm. Hairston, Jno. McCord, Robt. Maxwell bound to Jno. Ewing Calhoun Ord. 96 Dist. sum 14,000 lbs. Wm. Hairston next kin. Inv. made Dec. 10, 1782 by Jno. Irwing, Jno. Calhoun, Saml. McMurtey." (BOX 46, PACK 1044.)5|
|Probate||His estate was probated on 18 December 1782 in Ninety-Six District, South Carolina; Inventory and appraisment of the estate of Thomas hairston, intestate, made 18 Dec 1782 by John Irwin, John Calhoun and Samuel McMurtrie. William Hairston administrator. Inventory includes 3 books and woodworking tools.|
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S3529] Berkeley County SC 1682-1768 - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/…,_South_Carolina_Genealogy.
- [S233] Moss, Bobby Gilmer, Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Ancestry.com.
- [S3583] South Carolina. Treasury, Wylma Anne Wates, A. S. (Alexander Samuel) Salley, and South Carolina. Archives Dept. Stub Entries to Indents Issued In Payment of Claims Against South Carolina Growing Out of the Revolution. Columbia: Printed for the Historical Commission of South Carolina by the State Co., 1910. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044098469828, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3596] Loden, Thelma, Abbeville County South Carolina Judge of Probate - Fragment, Minutes of the county court, A & B, 1776-1783. WPA Statewide Historical Project #165-33-7172, University of South Carolina, 1937, Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3575] Abbeville County South Carolina Judge of Probate, Fragment, Minutes of the County Court, A & B 1776-1783, Thelma Loden, WPA Statewide Historical Project 1937, Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||7 Feb 2022|