HAIRSTON.org ID#1734, b. before 1747, d. before 7 October 1782
|Father*||(surname unknown) HAIRSTON|
|Birth*||Thomas HAIRSTON was born before 1747. (Date of birth based on being 21 when buying land.)1,2|
|He was the son of (surname unknown) HAIRSTON.|
|County Change*||1768 - Berkley County was abolished in 1768. It had been formed from Craven County in 1682, but never had a functional government and was not surveyed.2|
|Property*||1773 Berkeley County, South Carolina - Thomas Hairston obtained a land grant for 200 acres on Rayburns Creek in Berkeley County.|
NOTE: Berkeley County was discontinued in 1768, so Thomas Hairston probably acquired this property before 1768. If this is true, he was 21 or older. That would mean he was born before 1747.1,2
|Military*||"He served as a horseman under Capt. John Wilson from 27 December 1780 to 8 April 1782, South Carolina. A.A.3225; O454."3|
|Death*||Thomas HAIRSTON died before 7 October 1782.4|
|Probate||His estate was probated on 7 October 1782 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; "Oct. 7, 1782 - William Hairston a Citation on the Estate of Thomas Hairston, late of 96 District, deceased, Intestate, as next of Kin. Recorded on page 50."5|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 20 November 1782 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; "Est. admnt. Nov. 20, 1782 by Wm. Hairston, Jno. McCord, Robt. Maxwell bound to Jno. Ewing Calhoun Ord. 96 Dist. sum 14,000 lbs. Wm. Hairston next kin. Inv. made Dec. 10, 1782 by Jno. Irwing, Jno. Calhoun, Saml. McMurtey." (BOX 46, PACK 1044.)4|
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S3529] Berkeley County SC 1682-1768 - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/…,_South_Carolina_Genealogy.
- [S233] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American. Online ancestry.com.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3575] Abbeville County South Carolina Judge of Probate, Fragment, Minutes of the County Court, A & B 1776-1783, Thelma Loden, WPA Statewide Historical Project 1937, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||11 May 2021|