HAIRSTON.org ID#862, b. between 1771 and 1774, d. after 1830
|Father*||William HAIRSTON1,2 b. a 1744, d. a Apr 1808|
|Mother*||Ann S. (surname unknown) b. a 1746|
|Birth*||Peter HAIRSTON was born between 1771 and 1774 in Ninety-Six District, South Carolina. Birth date based on 1800 and 1830 census date ranges. Also, his son Peter in the 1880 census states his father and mother where born in South Carolina.3,4,5|
|He was the son of William HAIRSTON and Ann S. (surname unknown).1,2|
|County Change*||Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District - 1785.|
|Marriage*||Peter HAIRSTON married Mattie Martha BAKER about 1794.2|
|Census 1800*||Peter HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males: under 10 1, 26-44 1, Females; under 10 1, 16-25 1.|
(Note: census says Peter Hairston Junior -- I feel this is a census taker mistake, since Peter Hairston Jr., son of Peter Hairston, is only about 1 year old in 1800.)3
|Will||In William HAIRSTON's will dated 18 March 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Peter HAIRSTON was named as an heir; People mentioned: children Peter, James, John, William, Thomas, Jane Brown and Agness Martin. Executors are James Lomax Sr. and John Brannan.1|
|Census 1810*||He appeared on the census of 1810 in Abbeville, Abbeville County, South Carolina, Peter Herston - Males: under 10 3, 10-15 1, 26-44 1, Females under 10 1, 26-44 1. Peter would have been born between 1766-1784;|
Year: 1810; Census Place: Abbeville, Abbeville, South Carolina; Roll: 60; Page: 96; Image: 00054; Family History Library Film: 0181419.6
|Relocated*||He relocated to Gwinnett County, Georgia, about 1818.7,8|
|Census 1820*||He appeared on the census of 7 August 1820 in Gwinnett County, Georgia, Males <10 2, 10-15 2, 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females <10 2, 10-15 1, 26-45 1, Slaves 1 - Peter Hairston and his son William are listed next to each other on the census form.9|
|Residence*||He lived in 1822; Was living on Boboshelah Plantation, Lilburn, Georgia in 1822.7|
|Property*||Pete Hairstone acquired lot #194 of the 22th District in Muscogee County in the 1821 Georgia Land Lottery.|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Gwinnett County, Georgia, Males; 5-9 1, 10-14 2, 50-59 1, Females; 10-14 1, 50-59 1, slaves 2.4|
|Death*||He died after 1830 in Lilburn, Gwinnett County, Georgia.|
|NOTE||The Gwinnett County Courthouse burned in 1871 and all will records were lost.|
|Mattie Martha BAKER b. a 1776|
- [S232] Will of William Hairston - 18 March 1808, Abbeville District, South Carolina, Will Book 1, Page 360. http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/…, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S3413] Greenway, Carl Forrest - letter to Mrs C L Thompson, 4 Jan 1966 - Carl Greenway (1917-1974) was a Hairston relative and family genealogist, more information about Carl Greenway can be found here: https://www.hairston.org/p4445.htm, Personal Collection - copy.
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S43] Joyce W. Letah and Leah Stevens, The Descendants of Andrew Hairston, 14 June 1996 - this is typewritten scrapbook with little or no sources and some newspaper clippings., Personal Collection - copy.
- [S3412] Stewart, William C., 1907-. Gone to Georgia: Jackson And Gwinnett Counties And Their Neighbors In the Western Migration. Washington: National Genealogical Society, 1965., unknown repository.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||5 Oct 2021|