HAIRSTON.org ID#1735, b. before 1755
|Father*||SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown)|
|Birth*||John HAIRSTON was born before 1755. John served on a jury in 1778 and should have been 21 or older. The 1800 Federal Census shows one adult male over 45. Assuming this was John, he was born before 1755.1,2|
|He was the son of SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown).|
|County Name||1769 - Ninety-Six District formed from Granville County.|
|Marriage*||John HAIRSTON married Mary Ann ROBERTSON about 1774.3|
|Court Record*||John Hairston and Thomas Hairston witnessed a indenture between William Little and John Irwin on 10 January 1774 in Ninety-Six District, South Carolina. John Hairston signed his name. The document was recorded 27 April 1774. Before 1785, deeds were recorded in Charleston. Charleston County, South Carolina Deed Book F-4, pages 538-547. Family Search Library Film #008139624, Images 604-605.4|
|Property||John Harriston is mentioned in a South Carolina memorial for James Harris for 200 acres on Stephens Creek, Ninety-Six District - 10 Feb 1775.5|
|Court Record*||John Hairston is listed on "A List of Petit-Jurymen and Jury Men in Civil Causes" in Long Cane and Places Adjacent, Ninety-Six District, South Carolina - 1777-1779.2|
|Military*||John Hairstane - from 18 Jan 1780 to 11 Apr 1780, served as a Sergeant in the horse militia under Capt. Joseph Pickens company under Col. Anderson's regiment. A.A.3224; O458; X3019. - page 400.6,7|
|County Name*||1785 - Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District.|
|Military||John Hairstane the state of South Carolina issued a voucher indicating that the state owned him money for his service during the revolutionay war. As Follows: |
No. 458 Book O - Issued the 22nd of April 1785 to Mr. John Hairstane - for Thirteen Pounds, thirteen Shillings, & two pence, half penny, Sterling, for Militia Duty as Sergeant, signed. Account audited.
No. 3019 Lib X - Issued 1st May 1786, to John Hairston for Thirteen Pounds, 13/2 1/2 Sterling for Militia Duty in Col. Anderson's Regiment in 1780. signed. audited.7,8
|Survey*||John Hairstane - 1785 Ninety-Six District - plat for 162 acres on Calhouns Creek, surveyed by Thomas Finlay.5|
|Property||John Hairston acquires 405 acres in the Ninety-Six District adjacent to Peter Hairston and William Hairston.|
|Survey||Charles Caldwell plats 908 acres adjacent John Hairston, William Hairston and David Cunningham on Johns Creek in Ninety Six District.|
South Carolina Archives ID: Series: S213190 Volume: 0024 Page: 00299 Item: 001.
|Census 1790*||John HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Jno Hearston - Males: 5 under 16, 1 over 16, Females: 2, Slaves: 3. (5 males under 16 born between 1775 and 1790 - Robert, Peter, David, Hugh and unknown.)9|
|Court Record*||In 1793 John Herston and his brother Peter Herston are listed as executors on the will of Susana Maxfield's. Abbeville County, South Carolina, 10 September 1793.10|
|Court Record||On 24 April 1794, John Hairston and Izaac Logan were the administors of the estate of Edmond Beazley in Abbeville, South Carolina.11|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Hariston - Males: under 10 5, 10-15 3, 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 16-25 1, 26-44 1, Slaves: 3.|
The 1800 census shows 5 males under 10 born between 1791 and 1800, John, Ezekiel, 3 unknown; 3 males 10-15 born 1785-1790 - Peter, David, and Hugh; 1 male 16-25 born 1775-1784 - Robert.1
|Court Record||Peter Hairston filed a bill in Equity Court against John Hairston on 3 January 1804 in the Ninety-Six District, South Carolina. This was related to the sale of 200 acres by Peter Hairston to John Hairston.|
|Court Record||John Hairston witnessed the will of John McCord on 30 October 1806 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.5|
|Will||He witnessed the will of John MCCORD on 30 October 1806 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; His will mentions: sons John, James, William, Robert and Joseph; daughters Margaret McCord, Eleanor McCord, Agnes W. Farlin, Elizabeth McCord and Isabell McCrakin; grandson William Stuart McCord. Witnesses are John Hairston, Josiah Chambers and Andrew Paul.5,12|
|Probate||John HAIRSTON was a buyer of property from the estate of William HAIRSTON on 4 May 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price. Inventory was made by John Hairston, Archibald Douglas and William Bell. Buyers listed in probate included: his William's wife Ann, John Hairston, Peter Hairston Jr., William Hairston, Jr., Hugh B. Hairston, James Lomax and James Robert Hairston. Also Benjamin Adams, Henry ? , William Russel, Aaron Snodin, Foster Leachman, Joseph Doneny, Amos Spiller, John Russel, Nancy Pane, John Walls, William Young, John Walls, William Turnblen and Charles Walls. Sale was signed by James Lomax Jr, clerk.|
|Passport1*||Georgia Passport issued for travel through the Creek Nation, presumed to be issued to John Hairston.3|
|Census 1810*||John HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1810 in Abbeville, Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Herston - Males: under 10 1 (Hezekiah), 10-15 2 (Ezekiel, ? ), 16-25 2 (Hugh, David), 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 45+ 1, Slaves 1.|
Year: 1810; Census Place: Abbeville, Abbeville, South Carolina; Roll: 60; Page: 95; Image: 00053; Family History Library Film: 0181419.13
NOTE: John McCord Sr. was a neighbor of Peter Hairston (c1695-c1762 The Immigrant) and member of Mountain Plain Congregational Church. There are websites that claim John McCord or his son married a Hairston, but I have not found any sources for this. John McCord Sr. died in 1764 in Albemarle County, Virginia and his son John McCord Jr. moved to Abbeville County, South Carolina and witnessed John Hairston's will in 1806.
|Mary Ann ROBERTSON b. a 1754, d. a 1840|
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3180] The Jury Lists of South Carolina 1778-1779, Compliled by Ge Lee Corley Hendrix and Morn McKoy Lindsay, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1980, Ancestry.com.
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
- [S3755] Holcomb, Brent H., South Carolina Deed Abstracts 1773-1778 Books F-4 through X-4, Columbis, South Carolina, SCMAR, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S233] Moss, Bobby Gilmer, Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Ancestry.com.
- [S3583] South Carolina. Treasury, Wylma Anne Wates, A. S. (Alexander Samuel) Salley, and South Carolina. Archives Dept. Stub Entries to Indents Issued In Payment of Claims Against South Carolina Growing Out of the Revolution. Columbia: Printed for the Historical Commission of South Carolina by the State Co., 1910. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044098469828, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3679] South Carolina. Treasury, Wylma Anne Wates, A. S. (Alexander Samuel) Salley, and South Carolina. Archives Dept. Stub Entries to Indents Issued In Payment of Claims Against South Carolina Growing Out of the Revolution, Book X -- Part II. Printed for the Historical Commission of South Carolina by the State Co., 1925. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x004827393, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3228] Will of Susana Maxfield - 10 Sep 1793, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 28 Mar 1794, Will Book 1, Page 109, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3453] Will of John McCord - 1806, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 25 November 1806, Will Book 1, Page 331, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S231] Robert Hairston. Hairston Family Bibile - Laurens Co. South Carolina. 190 Greenwich Street, New York: Daniel D. Smith, 1823. Private owner, Texas.
|Last Edited||14 Jun 2023|