HAIRSTON.org ID#1735, b. before 1755
|Birth*||John HAIRSTON was born before 1755. John served on a jury in 1778 and should have been 21 or older. The 1800 Federal Census shows one adult male over 45. Assuming this was John, he was born before 1755.1,2|
|County Change||17690- Ninety-Six District formed from Granville County.|
|Marriage*||He married Mary Ann ROBERTSON about 1774.3|
|Property||John Harriston is mentioned in a South Carolina memorial for James Harris for 200 acres on Stephens Creek, Ninety-Six District - 10 Feb 1775.4|
|Court Record*||John Hairston is listed on "A List of Petit-Jurymen and Jury Men in Civil Causes" in Long Cane and Places Adjacent, Ninety-Six District, South Carolina - 1778-1779.2|
|Military*||In 1780 served as a sergeant in the horse militia under Capt. Joseph Pickens and Col. Anderson. A.A.3224; O458; X3019. - page 400.5|
|County Change*||1785 - Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District.|
|Property*||1785 Ninety-Six District - plat for 162 acres on Calhouns Creek, surveyed by Thomas Finlay.4|
|Census 1790*||John HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Jno Hearston - Males: 5 under 16, 1 over 16, Females: 2, Slaves: 3. (5 males under 16 born between 1775 and 1790 - Robert, Peter, David, Hugh and unknown.)6|
|Court Record*||In 1793 John Herston and his brother Peter Herston are listed as executors on the will of Susana Maxfield's. Abbeville County, South Carolina, 10 September 1793.7|
|Court Record||On 24 April 1794, John Hairston and Izaac Logan were the administors of the estate of Edmond Beazley in Abbeville, South Carolina.8|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Hariston - Males: under 10 5, 10-15 3, 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 16-25 1, 26-44 1, Slaves: 3.|
The 1800 census shows 5 males under 10 born between 1791 and 1800, John, Ezekiel, 3 unknown; 3 males 10-15 born 1785-1790 - Peter, David, and Hugh; 1 male 16-25 born 1775-1784 - Robert.1
|Court Record||John Hairston witnessed the will of John McCord on 30 October 1806 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.4|
|Will||He witnessed the will of John MCCORD on 30 October 1806 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; His will mentions: sons John, James, William, Robert and Joseph; daughters Margaret McCord, Eleanor McCord, Agnes W. Farlin, Elizabeth McCord and Isabell McCrakin; grandson William Stuart McCord. Witnesses are John Hairston, Josiah Chambers and Andrew Paul.4,9|
|Probate||John HAIRSTON was a buyer of property from the estate of William HAIRSTON on 4 May 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price.|
|Passport1*||Georgia Passport issued for travel through the Creek Nation, presumed to be issued to John Hairston.3|
|Census 1810*||John HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1810 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Herston - Males: under 10 1 (Hezekiah), 10-15 2 (Ezekiel, 16-25 2 (Hugh, David), 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 45+ 1, Slaves 1.10|
|NOTE*||John McCord Sr. was a neighbor of Peter Hairston (The Immigrant) and member of Mountain Plain Congregational Church. There are websites that claim John McCord or his son married a Hairston, but I have not found any sources for this. John McCord Sr. died in 1764 in Albemarle County, Virginia and his son John McCord Jr. moved to Abbeville County, South Carolina and witnessed John Hairston's will in 1806.|
|Mary Ann ROBERTSON b. a 1754, d. a 1840|
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3180] The Jury Lists of South Carolina 1778-1779, Compliled by Ge Lee Corley Hendrix and Morn McKoy Lindsay, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1980, Ancestry.com.
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S233] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American. Online ancestry.com.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3228] Will of Susana Maxfield - 10 Sep 1793, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 28 Mar 1794, Will Book 1, Page 109, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3453] Will of John McCord - 1806, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 25 November 1806, Will Book 1, Page 331, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S231] Robert Hairston. Hairston Family Bibile - Laurens Co. South Carolina. 190 Greenwich Street, New York: Daniel D. Smith, 1823. Private owner, Texas.
|Last Edited||11 May 2021|