HAIRSTON.org ID#1735, b. before 1755
|Birth*||John HAIRSTON was born before 1755. John served on a jury in 1778 and should have been 21 or older. The 1800 Federal Census shows one adult male over 45. Assuming this was John, he was born before 1755.1,2|
|County Change||Ninety-Six District formed from Granville County - 1769.|
|Marriage*||He married Mary Ann ROBERTSON about 1774.3|
|Property||John Harriston is mentioned in a South Carolina memorial for James Harris for 200 acres on Stephens Creek, Niney-sit Disrict - 10 Feb 1775.4|
|Court Record*||1778-1779 - John Hairston is on "A List of Petit-Jurymen and Jury Men in Civil Causes" for the Ninety-Six District. Miscellaneous Act No. 1123 - The Determination of Jury Lists for District Ninety-Six, page 85.2|
|Military*||In 1780 served as a sergeant in the horse militia under Capt. Joseph Pickens and Col. Anderson. A.A.3224; O458; X3019. - page 400.5|
|County Change*||Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District - 1785.|
|Property*||1785 Ninety Six District - plat for 162 acres on Calhouns Creek, surveyed by Thomas Finlay.4|
|Census 1790*||John HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Jno Hearston - Males: 5 under 16, 1 over 16, Females: 2, Slaves: 3. (5 males under 16 born between 1775 and 1790 - Robert, Peter, David, Hugh and unknown.)6|
|Court Record*||In 1793 John Herston and his brother Peter Herston are listed as executors on the will of Susana Maxfield's. Abbeville County, South Carolina, 10 September 1793.7|
|Probate*||On 24 April 1794, John Hairston and Izaac Logan were the administors of the estate of Edmond Beazley in Abbeville, South Carolina.8|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Hariston - Males: under 10 5, 10-15 3, 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 16-25 1, 26-44 1, Slaves: 3. (5 males under 10 born between 1790 and 1800, John, Ezekiel, ; 3 males 10-15 born 1785-1790 - Peter, David, and Hugh; 1 male 16-25 born 1775-1784 - Robert.)1|
|Court Record||John Hairston witnessed the will of John McCord on 30 October 1806 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.4|
|Passport1*||Georgia Passport issued for travel through the Creek Nation, presumed to be issued to John Hairston.3|
|Census 1810*||He appeared on the census of 1810 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, John Herston - Males: under 10 1, 10-15 2, 16-25 2, 45+ 1, Females: under 10 1, 45+ 1, Slaves 1.9|
|Mary Ann ROBERTSON b. a 1754, d. a 1840|
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3180] The Jury Lists of South Carolina 1778-1779, Compliled by Ge Lee Corley Hendrix and Morn McKoy Lindsay, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1980, Ancestry.com.
- [S46] The Hairston History, Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S233] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American. Online ancestry.com.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3228] Will of Susana Maxfield - 10 Sep 1793, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 28 Mar 1794, Will Book 1, Page 109, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661, unknown author, (n.pub.).
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S231] Robert Hairston. Hairston Family Bibile - Laurens Co. South Carolina. 190 Greenwich Street, New York: Daniel D. Smith, 1823. Private owner, Texas.
|Last Edited||10 Jun 2018|