Margaret Sommer POTTS
HAIRSTON.org ID#526, b. 1 July 1845, d. 11 September 1903
|Father*||Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS1 b. 12 Mar 1818, d. b 1880|
|Mother*||Narcissa Eliza GRAY1 b. a 1826|
|Birth*||Margaret Sommer POTTS was born on 1 July 1845 in Mississippi.2,1|
|She was the daughter of Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS and Narcissa Eliza GRAY.1|
|Census 1850||Margaret Sommer POTTS appeared on the 1850 census of Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS on 4 September 1850 in Winston County, Mississippi; H.S. Potts 32 physician from SC, wife Narcissa 25 from SC, Margaret 5, Anna 1.|
|Census 1860||Margaret Sommer POTTS appeared on the 1860 census of William H. GRAY on 20 June 1860 in Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi; William H. Gray (head of household) 32 born in SC, Ella Gray 5 born MS, H. S. Potts 42 Physician South Carolina, Narcissa Potts 34 South Carolina, Margaret 14, Anna 11, Martha & Elvira 7 (twins). Sumner Hudson 9 and William Hudson 1.1|
|Marriage*||Margaret Sommer POTTS married Robert Peter HAIRSTON, son of Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. and Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON, on 26 October 1868.4,5,6|
|Census 1880||Margaret Sommer POTTS appeared on the 1880 census of Robert Peter HAIRSTON on 14 June 1880 in Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi.7 |
|Census 1900||Margaret Sommer POTTS appeared on the 1900 census of Robert Peter HAIRSTON on 8 June 1900 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.8 |
|Death*||Margaret Sommer POTTS died on 11 September 1903 at age 58.2|
|Burial*||She was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2 |
|Obituary*||Death of Mrs. R. P. Hairston.|
The friends of Mr. R. P. Hairston and family, of Crawford, were grieved to learn of the death of Mrs. Hairston, which occurred at her home near Crawford Friday night at ten o'clock. Mrs. Hairston had been ill for some weeks and her death was not altogether unexpected. She leaves a large family who will miss the tender influences of a mother. The funeral occurred yesterday at Bethel, Rev. T. D. Lattimer holding the funeral services. The Dispatch extends its sympathies to the bereaved ones in their hour of sorrow.
The Columbus Weekly Dispatch, September 13, 1903, page 3. (Mississippi Department of Archives and History.)9
|Robert Peter HAIRSTON b. 4 Oct 1841, d. 20 Jun 1906|
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S136] Bible - Thomas Potts Family Bible - 1668-1893 , area covered is Charleston, South Carolina. Bible printed in 1740. other surnames mentioned: Akin, Burton, Gray, Hairston, Keelin, Smith, and Thornton. Library call number 24346, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3188] Library of Congress, Chronicling Amercia - Historic American Newspapers.
|Last Edited||26 Nov 2020|