Robert Peter HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#421, b. 4 October 1841, d. 20 June 1906
|Father*||Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr.1,2 b. 12 Aug 1804, d. 8 Jul 1850|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON b. 4 Apr 1809, d. 8 May 1858|
|Birth*||Robert Peter HAIRSTON was born on 4 October 1841 in Virginia.1,3 |
|He was the son of Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. and Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON.1,2|
|Census 1850||Robert Peter HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Hardin HAIRSTON on 25 September 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Hardin 64, Elizabeth 40, (the following children are Col. Samuel Hairston's) Elizabeth 15, Sarah 18, Samuel 20, Theodosia 13, John 11, Robert 8, George 5, Joseph 3, Sanders 1, and Harden's son George 38.3|
|Census 1860||Robert Peter HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Sarah Alice Staples "Sallie" HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; as Sallie Hairston.4|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Robert Peter HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122. PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.5|
|Military*||Was a Pvt. CSA, Company C - Aberts Company, Pope Walker Troops, 4th Battalion Cavalry.6|
|Marriage*||He married Margaret Sommer POTTS, daughter of Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS and Narcissa Eliza GRAY, on 26 October 1868.1,7,2|
|Census 1880*||Robert Peter HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 14 June 1880 in Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi.8 |
|Census 1900*||He appeared on the census of 8 June 1900 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.9 |
|Occupation*||Robert Peter Hairston was on the Board of Supervisors of Lowndes County in 1901. The County Courthouse marker is shown below.|
|Death*||He died on 20 June 1906 at age 64.1|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.10 |
|Obituary*||Hon. R. P. Hairston.|
The death of Hon. R. P. Hairston was not unexpected but it cast a gloom over the entire community where he had been born and reared and resided all of his life. The deceased had been ill for twelve months and the end was expected at any time notwithstanding the announcement of his death, which occurred last Wednesday afternoon at 4 o'clock was the source of sorrow and sadness in many homes.
Mr. Hairston was 66 years of age and, until a year ago, he had been in the enjoyment of good health. He was for several years and was at the time of death an influential member of the Board of Supervisors and as such was recognized as a man of honest and strong convictions, always trying to do that which would be beneficial to his people.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. C. Frierson Thursday morning at 10 o'clock, and the interment took place at the family burying ground near Crawford, the following neighbors and friends acting as pall bearers; D. A. Hargrove, C. C. Hardy, T. F. Swoope, V. G. Evans and E. A. Ervin.
The Columbus Commercial, Columbus, Mississippi, Tuesday, June 26, 1906, page 1. (Mississippi Department of Archives and History.)11,12
|Margaret Sommer POTTS b. 1 Jul 1845, d. 11 Sep 1903|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122. Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9Q6-RFZ9 : 21 May 2014), Lowndes > Wills 1847-1889 vol 1 > image 82 of 341; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S3458] Howell, H. Grady Jr., For Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand, A muster listing of All Known Mississippi Confederate Soldiers, Sailors and Marines,, unknown repository.
- [S136] Bible - Thomas Potts Family Bible - 1668-1893 , area covered is Charleston, South Carolina. Bible printed in 1740. other surnames mentioned: Akin, Burton, Gray, Hairston, Keelin, Smith, and Thornton. Library call number 24346, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
- [S3187] The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, Mississippi - Chronicling America.
- [S3188] Library of Congress, Chronicling Amercia - Historic American Newspapers.
|Last Edited||22 Nov 2021|