William Gray HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#534, b. 3 October 1893, d. 1 September 1986
|Father*||Robert Peter HAIRSTON1 b. 4 Oct 1841, d. 20 Jun 1906|
|Mother*||Margaret Sommer POTTS b. 1 Jul 1845, d. 11 Sep 1903|
|Birth*||William Gray HAIRSTON was born on 3 October 1893 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.2|
|He was the son of Robert Peter HAIRSTON and Margaret Sommer POTTS.1|
|Census 1900||William Gray HAIRSTON appeared on the 1900 census of Robert Peter HAIRSTON on 8 June 1900 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.3 |
|Census 1910||William Gray HAIRSTON appeared on the 1910 census of Hugh Swinton HAIRSTON on 21 April 1910 in Ward 2, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi; Hugh S Hairston 36, Mamie F. Hairston 41, William G Hairston 16 (Hugh's brother) and Cornell S Franklin 18 (son on Mamie's first marriage).4 |
|Marriage*||William Gray HAIRSTON married Minerva Louise TUTTLE on 18 July 1935.|
|Census 1940*||William Gray HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 11 April 1940 in Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi.5 |
|NOTE*||Elected Mayor of Columbus, Mississippi in 1946.|
|Death*||He died on 1 September 1986 at age 92.2|
|Burial*||He was buried in Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2|
|Minerva Louise TUTTLE b. 6 May 1908, d. 16 Apr 1992|
- [S136] Bible - Thomas Potts Family Bible - 1668-1893 , area covered is Charleston, South Carolina. Bible printed in 1740. other surnames mentioned: Akin, Burton, Gray, Hairston, Keelin, Smith, and Thornton. Library call number 24346, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S20] Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1940] 1940 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||6 Feb 2022|