Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS
HAIRSTON.org ID#992, b. 12 March 1818
|Father*||Samuel Thomas POTTS1 b. 23 Sep 1789|
|Mother*||Margaret SWINTON1 b. 1796|
|Birth*||Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS was born on 12 March 1818 in South Carolina.2,3|
|He was the son of Samuel Thomas POTTS and Margaret SWINTON.1|
|College*||In 1840 he was attending the Medical College of South Carolina and his residence is listed as Winston County, Mississippi.4|
|Marriage*||Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS married Narcissus Eliza GRAY, daughter of John Frederick GRAY and Sommer Fleming AIKIN, on 10 August 1844 in Winston County, Mississippi; Potts Bible shows marriage date of 14 May 1844.3,5,2|
|Census 1850*||Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS appeared on the census of 4 September 1850 in Winston County, Mississippi, H.S. Potts 32 physician from SC, wife Narcissa 25 from SC, Margaret 5, Anna 1.|
|Census 1860||He appeared on the 1860 census of John Frederick GRAY on 20 June 1860 in Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi; H. S. Potts 42 Physician South Carolina, Narcissa Potts 34 South Carolina, Margaret 14, Anna 11, Martha & Elvira 7 (twins). Listed as living with Wm H Gray 32, Ella Gray 5, Sumner Hudson 9 and William Hudson 1.|
|Narcissus Eliza GRAY b. 1826|
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S136] Bible - Thomas Potts Family Bible - 1668-1893 , area covered is Charleston, South Carolina. Bible printed in 1740. other surnames mentioned: Akin, Burton, Gray, Hairston, Keelin, Smith, and Thornton. Library call number 24346, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S130] College Student Lists. Worcester, Massachusetts: American Antiquarian Society.
- [S76] Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935, Ancestry.com.
|Last Edited||12 Jun 2017|