Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#412, b. 12 August 1804, d. 8 July 1850
|Father*||Col. Samuel HAIRSTON b. 25 Sep 1755, d. 17 Dec 1834|
|Mother*||Judith Sparrell SAUNDERS b. 25 Jan 1769, d. 23 Nov 1809|
|Birth*||Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. was born on 12 August 1804 in Franklin County, Virginia.1|
|He was the son of Col. Samuel HAIRSTON and Judith Sparrell SAUNDERS.|
|College*||Between 1821 and 1822, attended in Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, "688. *SAMUEL HAIRSTON, Franklin Co.: Lowndes Co., Miss.: Planter: Died July 8, 1850." page 75.2|
|Marriage*||Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. married Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON, daughter of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES, on 21 December 1826 in Patrick County, Virginia; Family Bible and grave marker also state 21 December as marriage date. Patrick County records indicate "18 Dec 1826 Samuel Hairston and Elizabeth P. Hairston, consent of Harden Hairston. Sur. Peter Hairston".3,4,1|
|Census 1830*||Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. appeared on the census of 1 June 1830 in Franklin County, Virginia, Males 20-29 1 (Samuel), Females 20-29 1 (wife Elizabeth), Slaves 22.5|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1 June 1840 in Franklin County, Virginia, Males <5 1 (John Henry), 5-9 3 (Samuel Harden, unknown, unknown), 30-39 1 (Col. Samuel), Females <5 (Mary T.), 5-9 2 (Elizabeth, Sarah), 10-14 1 (Judith), 30-39 (wife Elizabeth), Slaves 26.6|
|Death*||He died on 8 July 1850 in Texas at age 45.3,1 |
|Burial*||He was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi; |
Oringinal Cemetery Marker.1
|NOTE*||Samuel's children (Samuel Harden 20, Sarah Alice 18, Elizabeth Henry 15, John Henry 11, Robert Peter 8, George 5, Joseph 3 and Sanders 1) are listed as living with Harden Hairston in Lowndes County, Mississippi.7|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 7 November 1859 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.8|
|Biography||He was mentioned the BIOGRAPHY of Hardin HAIRSTON on 21 June 1884; From the "Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss - June 21, 1884 -|
"Mr. Hardin Hairston, one of the early immigrants who came from Virginia, and who left a large number of descendants, living within the bounds of this congregation, looked to the ministers of this Church for counsel and instruction in divine things; and while I was your Minister, it was my privilege to preach the gospel at his house by his request, when he was disabled by physical infirmity from attending the services at the Church. His mind was, then, turned toward the interests of eternity. It pleased the Lord, of His sovereign grace, to enlighten him in the saving knowledge of the gospel, so that he was priviledged to confess Christ before men, ere he should depart. He united w1th this Church, Oct 12, 1862, and died on the 23rd of the same month. His son, Dr. P. C. Hairston was received on examination, Dec. 1, 1879, and is now one of your Elders. Mrs. Wortley V. Hairston, the wife of Dr. Hairston, was a member of the Wahalak Church in Kemper County, where her father John T. Moseley resided, but after her marriage, she transferred her membership to this Church, November 27, 1852. Their daughter, Mrs. Sallie S. Ervin, professed her faith in Christ, Sept. 30, 1871, but has transferred her membership elsewhere. In 1859, while I was the Minister, the Lord graciously brought into his kingdom the three daughters of Col. Sam'l Hairston, who had died before I came here, and of his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Hairston, who had then recently deceased, thus leaving them double orphans, viz: Miss Sally Alice Hairston, now the wife of Rev. A. H. Barkley, Miss Sam Henry Elizabeth Hairston, and Miss Mary Theodosia Hairston, who continued their connection until 1873, when they transferred it to Crawford Church. Mrs. K. C. Hairston, wife of N. E. Hairston was admitted on examination, Oct 14, 1864 and was removed by death Oct 1st, 1875. Her daughter Mrs. Mary Watt Hairston, wife of George W. Hairston, professed her faith in Christ, Oct 3, 1880, and in the bloom of her married life was cut down by the fell destroyer, Jan 14, 1882, leaving a little daughter who has since received baptism. Mrs. Mary Ervin Hairston, already mentioned as a daughter of E. A. Ervin, the wife of Hardin M. Hairston, was received on examination, Sept. 30, 1871, and is now of your membership along with her four baptized children."9
|Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON b. 4 Apr 1809, d. 8 May 1858|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
- [S226] Catalogue of the Officers and Alumni of Washington and Lee University, 1749-1888, J. Murphy and Company, Baltimore, 1888.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S70] Marriages of Patrick County, Virginia 1791-1850, Lela C. Adams, (Bassett, VA 1972).
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3516] Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9Q8-6F5V : 21 May 2014), Lowndes > Estates 1830-1921 no 623-633 > image 660 of 1921; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3] Baird, Rev. E. T.; Historical Sketch of the Bethel Presbyterian Church, Lowndes County, Miss Prepared for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, June 21, 1884 - Columbus, Mississippi - 1885.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
|Last Edited||26 Nov 2020|