John Henry HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#420, b. 25 December 1839, d. 24 July 1862
|Father*||Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr.1,2 b. 12 Aug 1804, d. 8 Jul 1850|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON b. 4 Apr 1809, d. 8 May 1858|
|Birth*||John Henry HAIRSTON was born on 25 December 1839 in Virginia.1,3 |
|He was the son of Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. and Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON.1,2|
|Census 1850||John Henry HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Hardin HAIRSTON on 25 September 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Hardin 64, Elizabeth 40, (the following children are Col. Samuel Hairston's) Elizabeth 15, Sarah 18, Samuel 20, Theodosia 13, John 11, Robert 8, George 5, Joseph 3, Sanders 1, and Harden's son George 38.3|
|Will||John Henry HAIRSTON was mentioned in the will of Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON on 21 April 1858 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.4|
|Census 1860||John Henry HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Sarah Alice Staples "Sallie" HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; as Sallie Hairston.5|
John Henry Hairston - Private, mustered on the 15 february 1861 at Crawfordsville, Mississippi, in the Prairie Guards, he was 21. He later transferred to Company K, First Virginia Cavalry Regiment on October 8, 1861.
|Will*||John Henry HAIRSTON left a will on 29 April 1861 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.|
|Death*||He died on 24 July 1862 in Virginia at age 22; He was a Private with Company A, Jeff Davis Legion Mississippi Cavalry and died from a disease on June 25, 1862. At the time he was fighting under Major General James Longstreet near Williamsburg, Virginia. They had just fought in the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1862. Other relatives in this battle were Brig. Gen. Jubal Early and Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart.1|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3316] Will of Elizabeth Perkins Hairston - 21 April 1858, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Will Book 1, Page 15., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||19 Aug 2017|