HAIRSTON.org ID#423, b. 16 December 1845, d. 5 October 1905
|Father*||Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr.1 b. 12 Aug 1804, d. 8 Jul 1850|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON b. 4 Apr 1809, d. 8 May 1858|
|Birth*||George HAIRSTON was born on 16 December 1845 in Virginia.2,3,1 |
|He was the son of Col. Samuel Saunders HAIRSTON Jr. and Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON.1|
|Census 1850||George HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Hardin HAIRSTON on 25 September 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Hardin 64, Elizabeth 40, (the following children are Col. Samuel Hairston's) Elizabeth 15, Sarah 18, Samuel 20, Theodosia 13, John 11, Robert 8, George 5, Joseph 3, Sanders 1, and Harden's son George 38.4|
|Will||George HAIRSTON was mentioned in the will of Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON on 21 April 1858 in Lowndes County, Mississippi.5|
|Census 1860||George HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Sarah Alice Staples "Sallie" HAIRSTON on 20 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; as Sallie Hairston.6|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, George HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122.|
PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.7
|Marriage*||He married Anna Caroline POTTS, daughter of Dr. Hugh Swinton POTTS and Narcissus Eliza GRAY, in December 1868.1,8|
|Census 1880*||George HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 15 June 1880 in Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi, George Harston 34, A.C. Harston 30, Robt 10, G.C. 6, F.A. 4, M.E. 2, Baby 4 mnths.2|
|Census 1900*||He appeared on the census of 12 June 1900 in Beat 4, Lowndes County, Mississippi, George Hairston 54, Anna Hairston 51, Lizzie 22, Sam Henry 20, Jubal Early 17, |
William 14, John Henry 12, Gerald 9, Le Gree 7.9
|Will*||He left a "Christmas Gift" will on 25 December 1900. |
|Death*||He died on 5 October 1905 at age 59.3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.3 |
Front Row L-R:
Elizabeth Marie Hairston (became Mrs George Bragg) - Chicora, Miss
Dr. Samuel H. "Jack" Hairston - Meridian, Miss
Fred Hairston - Brooksville, Miss
Ida Eager Hairston - Chicora, Miss
Jubal Early Hairston - Meridian, Miss
George Clifford Hairston - Chicora, Miss
---holding Anna May Hairston - Chicora, Miss
Gray Hairston - Shubuta, Miss
---holding Frances Hairston - Shubuta, Miss
John Hairston - Meridian, Miss
---holding Henry Gray Hairston - Chicora, Miss
Back Row L-R:
Nelle Johnson Hairston (Mrs Samuel H. "Jack" Hairston) - Meridian, Miss
Elizabeth Mary Hairston (Mrs Louis G. Bridgeforth) - Meridian, Miss
George Clifford Hairston, Jr. - Chicora, Miss
William "Bill" Hairston - Meridian, Miss
Rosa Brown Hairston (Mrs Frederick Hairston) - Brooksville, Miss
Legare Hairston - Meridian, Miss
Ruby Dalton Hairston (Mrs Gray Hairston) - Shubuta, Miss
Anna Lee Moseley Hairston (Mrs George Clifford Hairston) - Chicora, Miss.
|Photo||He was photographed |
|Anna Caroline POTTS b. 30 Apr 1849, d. 3 Jun 1911|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3316] Will of Elizabeth Perkins Hairston - 21 April 1858, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Will Book 1, Page 15., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S136] Bible - Thomas Potts Family Bible - 1668-1893 , area covered is Charleston, South Carolina. Bible printed in 1740. other surnames mentioned: Akin, Burton, Gray, Hairston, Keelin, Smith, and Thornton. Library call number 24346, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||13 Jun 2017|