Matilda M. MARTIN
HAIRSTON.org ID#70, b. 7 August 1818, d. 4 May 1854
|Father*||Col. Joseph MARTIN1,2 b. 22 Sep 1785, d. 3 Nov 1859|
|Mother*||Sallie HUGHES b. 30 Apr 1792, d. 1879|
|Birth*||Matilda M. MARTIN was born on 7 August 1818.3|
|She was the daughter of Col. Joseph MARTIN and Sallie HUGHES.1,2|
|Marriage*||Matilda M. MARTIN married Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON, son of Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. and Louisa HARDYMAN, on 14 July 1837 in Greenwood, Henry County, Virginia; Listed as daughter of Jos. Martin and minister was Arnold Walker. Elizabeth Seawell books lists 18, July 1837.|
Married- On July 18, by Rev. Arnold Walker, Dr. George Hurston, to Miss Matilda M. Martin, fourth dau. of Col. Joseph Martin, all of Henry County. Publication: Richmond Whig & public advertiser, Richmond, Va., Friday, July 28, 1837, (p. 1, c. 7) - From the marriage and obituary citations compiled by Bernard J. Henley from Virginia newspapers on microfilm at the Library of Virginia.4,5,6,1
|Married Name||As of 14 July 1837,her married name was HAIRSTON.|
|Census 1840||Matilda M. MARTIN appeared on the 1840 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON in 1840 in Henry County, Virginia; George S - Males 20-29 1, Females <5 1, 20-29 1, Slaves 22.7|
|Census 1850||Matilda M. MARTIN appeared on the 1850 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 10 October 1850 in Henry County, Virginia; George 37, Matilda 32, Sarah L 12, Susan J 9, Elizabeth 7, George 5, Matilda 3, Joseph 1.8|
|Death*||Matilda M. MARTIN died on 4 May 1854 at age 35.3|
|Burial*||She was buried in Marrowbone Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia; |
Photo: By Robert E. Hairston, Jr., 1989.3
|Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON b. 2 May 1813, d. 9 May 1863|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S3326] Knight, Nancy Marlene Martin. Peacemaker - Joseph Martin 1740-1808 and His Descendants, 1976., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3327] Horton, Lucy Henderson. Family History, Press of the News, Franklin, Tenn. 1922. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89066169020, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S19] Marrowbone Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S3319] Pace, Ruth and McGee, Mary Pace. The Life and Times of Ridgeway, Virginia 1728-1990. Pocahontas Press, Inc., Blacksburg, Virginia, 1990., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2021|