Nicholas Hardyman HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#77, b. 19 April 1851, d. 27 June 1927
|Father*||Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON b. 2 May 1813, d. 9 May 1863|
|Mother*||Matilda M. MARTIN b. 7 Aug 1818, d. 4 May 1854|
|Birth*||Nicholas Hardyman HAIRSTON was born on 19 April 1851 in Marrowbone Plantation, Henry County, Virginia. The 1900 census shows birth date of Apr 1854, age 46 and married for 25 years. His cemetery marker and his death certificate indicate date of birth as 19 April 1851.1,2,3,4|
|He was the son of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Matilda M. MARTIN.|
|Census 1860||Nicholas Hardyman HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 11 September 1860 in Henry County, Virginia; Geo S 47, Sallie 22, Susan 18, Bettie 16, Geo 15, Matilda 13, Nicholas 8.5|
|Will||In Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 11 December 1862 in Henry County, Virginia, Nicholas Hardyman HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Virginia Chancery Record Index, Henry County, 1864-016.6|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth Seawell HAIRSTON, daughter of Samuel William HAIRSTON and Elizabeth A. PENN, on 17 September 1874.1|
|Occupation*||Nicholas Hardyman HAIRSTON was an attorney, judge and farmer. about 1880 in Henry Co., Virginia.|
|Census 1880*||He appeared on the census of 23 June 1880 in Ridgeway, Henry County, Virginia, W. H. Hairston 27 a farmer, wife Lissie 22, son Geo. S. 3.7|
|Elected*||Elected County Judge for Henry County in 1882.8|
|Property*||Moved to Martinsville, Virginia.1|
|Retirement*||Decided to retire in 1892 as a Henry County Judge, fearing that his position may make him ineligible as a Democratic elector.9|
|Census 1900*||He appeared on the census of 12 June 1900 in Martinsville, Henry County, Virginia.2 |
|Census 1910*||He appeared on the census of 21 April 1910 in Roanoke City, Virginia.10 |
|Census 1920*||He appeared on the census of 25 February 1920 in Roanoke City, Virginia.11 |
|Death*||He died on 27 June 1927 at age 76.3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Fair View Cemetery, Roanoke City, Virginia; |
Photo: Find A Grave by John Shuck.3
|Death Certficate*||He was Death Certficate on 30 June 1927 in Henry County, Virginia, showing a birth date of 19 April 1851 and a death date of 28 June 1927 at 1 am.4|
|Elizabeth Seawell HAIRSTON b. 19 Aug 1855, d. 24 Feb 1944|
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S3225] Virginia, Deaths, 1912–2014. Virginia Department of Health, Richmond, Virginia, Ancestry.com.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S259] Jeffersonian Republican, Library of Virginia, 8 March 1882.
- [S260] Peninsula Enterprise, Accomac Court-House, 15 October 1892.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1920] 1920 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2021|