George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#74, b. 11 March 1845, d. September 1876
|Father*||Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON1 b. 2 May 1813, d. 9 May 1863|
|Mother*||Matilda M. MARTIN b. 7 Aug 1818, d. 4 May 1854|
|Birth*||George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr. was born on 11 March 1845 in Marrowbone Plantation, Henry County, Virginia.2,1|
|He was the son of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Matilda M. MARTIN.1|
|Census 1850||George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr. appeared on the 1850 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 10 October 1850 in Henry County, Virginia; George 37, Matilda 32, Sarah L 12, Susan J 9, Elizabeth 7, George 5, Matilda 3, Joseph 1.3|
|Census 1860||George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr. appeared on the 1860 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 11 September 1860 in Henry County, Virginia; Geo S 47, Sallie 22, Susan 18, Bettie 16, Geo 15, Matilda 13, Nicholas 8.4|
|Will||In Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 11 December 1862 in Henry County, Virginia, George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr. was named as an heir; Virginia Chancery Record Index, Henry Co., 1864-016.5|
|Anecdote*||Pardon from President Andrew Johnson, signed by acting Secretary of State William Hunter III , for George S. Hairston of Henry County, Virginia, for supporting the Confederacy during the Civil War.|
|College*||He was College in 1866 in Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia; Class of 1866.6|
|Marriage*||He married Nannie Wilson WATKINS, daughter of Peter Wilson WATKINS and Louisa Hardyman HAIRSTON, on 23 November 1869. The following the Index to marriage Notices in The Southern Churchman - 1835-1941...."Hairston, George S., and Nannie W. Watkins, both of Henry Co., Va., by the Rev. Jno. R. Lee, at Shawnee, the residence of the bride's father. So. Ch., Jan. 6, 1870 ". Later they lived at Hordsville..2,7,8|
|Census 1870*||George Stovall HAIRSTON Jr. appeared on the census of 1870 in Horse Pasture, Henry, Virginia, George S 25, Nannie W 21, Mary Walker 40 (clerk), Mary Hairston (black servant).9|
|Death*||He died in September 1876 in Hordsville Plantation, Henry County, Virginia, at age 31.2|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hordsville Plantation, Henry County, Virginia; There is a grave marker in the Hordsville Cemetery for "GEO. S. HAIRSTON BORN 1846 Died 1879". I believe this is the grave of George Stovall Jr. However, the dates do not match other records.|
Photo: by Robert E. Hairston, Jr., 1990.10
|Nannie Wilson WATKINS b. 19 May 1848, d. 1909|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S3319] Pace, Ruth and McGee, Mary Pace. The Life and Times of Ridgeway, Virginia 1728-1990. Pocahontas Press, Inc., Blacksburg, Virginia, 1990., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA. Unknown repository reference. Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S114] Virginia Military Institute.
- [S3036] Index to Marriage Notices in The Southern Churchman 1835-1941, The Historical Records Survey of Virginia, May 1942.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S16] Hordesville Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||17 Nov 2017|