Col. John Tyler HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#52, b. 25 November 1811, d. 13 January 1857
|Father*||Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr.1,2 b. 27 Nov 1784, d. 13 Oct 1863|
|Mother*||Louisa HARDYMAN b. 25 Dec 1787, d. 23 Oct 1847|
|Birth*||Col. John Tyler HAIRSTON was born on 25 November 1811 in Marrowbone, Henry County, Virginia.3,4|
|He was the son of Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. and Louisa HARDYMAN.1,2|
|Census 1820||Col. John Tyler HAIRSTON appeared on the 1820 census of Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. in 1820 in Henry County, Virginia; Males <10 3 (John 9, George 7, Nicholas 3), 26-44 1 (George 36), Females <10 2 (Elizabeth 5, Susan2), 16-25 1 (unknown), 25-44 1 (wife - Louisa 33), Slaves 65.5|
|Marriage*||Col. John Tyler HAIRSTON married Pocahontas Rebecca CABELL, daughter of Gen. Benjamin W. S. CABELL Gen. and Sarah "Sallie" Epes DOSWELL, on 25 August 1836 in Danville, Virginia; Married by Rev. Archibald Montgomery.6,4|
|Property*||After 25 August 1836 Col. John Tyler HAIRSTON lived at Red Plains, about 2 miles from Marrowbone.1|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Henry County, Virginia, Males 20-29 1, 40-49 1, Female <5 1, 20-29 1, Slaves 19.7|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 15 October 1850 in Henry County, Virginia, John T Hairston 38 a farmer, Pocahuntas 30, Virginia 13 , Louisa 11, Elizabeth 9, Sarah 5, Caleb 3 |
Hurdgman Hairston 1.8
|Anecdote*||From Savannah to Jacksonville on a steam ship with his wife Pocohontas.|
|Death*||He died on 13 January 1857 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida, at age 45; Tuberculosis.6,4|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hordsville Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.6,3|
|Obituary*||Col. T. J. Hairston, of Henry County, Va. died in Florida on the 13th of January.|
Richmond Enquirer, February 3, 1857, Page 4. (Library of Virginia.)9
|Pocahontas Rebecca CABELL b. 29 Jun 1819, d. 3 Feb 1858|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S16] Hordsville Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S77] Brown, Alexander, The Cabells and Their Kin - A Memorial Volume, The Riverside Press, Cambridge 1895 https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89058675919, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3188] Library of Congress, Chronicling Amercia - Historic American Newspapers.
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com, Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||9 Mar 2019|