HAIRSTON.org ID#1736, b. before 1755
|Birth*||Peter HAIRSTON was born before 1755.1,2|
|Marriage*||He married Mary YELDELL, daughter of Robert YELDELL, before 1773.3|
|County Change*||Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District - 1785.|
|Will||In Robert YELDELL's will dated 21 June 1789 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Peter HAIRSTON was named as executor; mentions grandson Robert Hairston and son-in-law Peter Hairston. Children James (deceased), Jean, Sarah White, Mary Hairston, Robert, Anthony, Phebe. Grandchildren Robert Yeldell, Robert Hairston.3|
|Census 1790*||He appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males; under 16 4, 16+ 1, Females; 5.|
The 1790 census lists 4 possible sons, but only Robert appears in records.
Abbeville, South Carolina; Series: M637; Roll: 11; Page: 464; Image: 277; Family History Library Film: 0568151.4
|Court Record*||In 1793 John Herston and his brother Peter Herston are listed as executors on the will of Susana Maxfield's. Abbeville County, South Carolina, 10 September 1793.5|
|Court Record*||Helped make an inventory of William Adams estate along with William Hairston, Simeon Williams, Capt. John Irwin and Reuben Shotwell.6|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males; under 10 2(Samuel, Peter Jr.), 10-15 1, 16-25 2 (Robert), 45+ 1 (Peter), Females; under 10 3, 10-15 1, 26-44 1(Mary). William Lomax is a neighbor.|
The 1800 census shows 5 possible sons, but only Robert, Samuel and Peter appear in records.2
|Probate||He was a buyer of property from the estate of William HAIRSTON on 4 May 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price.|
|NOTE||The 1790 and 1800 census records show a possible 5 sons, yet we only have 3 (Robert, Samuel and Peter) listed. It is possible that the extra household members were not his sons.|
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3227] Will of Robert Yeldell Sr. - 1789, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 15 Jan 1790, Will Book 1, Page 20, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3228] Will of Susana Maxfield - 10 Sep 1793, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 28 Mar 1794, Will Book 1, Page 109, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S279] Lomax, Joseph, Genealogical and Historical Sketches of The Lomax Family, The Rookus Printing House, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1894.
|Last Edited||15 May 2020|