HAIRSTON.org ID#1736, b. before 1755
|Father*||SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown)|
|Birth*||Peter HAIRSTON was born before 1755.1,2|
|He was the son of SOUTH CAROLINA FAMILIES (surname unknown).|
|County Name||1769 - Ninety-Six District formed.|
|Marriage*||Peter HAIRSTON married Mary YELDELL, daughter of Robert YELDELL, before 1773.3|
|Military*||During the Revolutionary War, the British recaptured Charleston in 1780 and drafted all men between 18 and 40, which included Peter Hairston and his brother-in-law Robert Yeldel. They were placed in Col. Richard King's Regiment, Long Cane Militia, Upper Ninety-Six Brigade, Capt. Jesse campbell's Company.4|
|County Name*||1785 - Abbeville County formed from Ninety-Six District.|
|Property||Peter HAIRSTON was an adjacent landowner of John HAIRSTON on 5 June 1789 in Ninety-Six District, South Carolina; John Hairston acquires 405 acres in the Ninety-Six District adjacent to Peter Hairston and William Hairston.|
|Will||In Robert YELDELL's will dated 21 June 1789 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Peter HAIRSTON was named as executor; mentions grandson Robert Hairston and son-in-law Peter Hairston. Children James (deceased), Jean, Sarah White, Mary Hairston, Robert, Anthony, Phebe. Grandchildren Robert Yeldell, Robert Hairston.3,4|
|Census 1790*||He appeared on the census of 1790 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males; under 16 4, 16+ 1, Females; 5. The 1790 census lists 4 possible sons and 4 possible daughters.|
Abbeville, South Carolina; Series: M637; Roll: 11; Page: 464; Image: 277; Family History Library Film: 0568151.5
|Court Record||Peter Hairston is listed as a buyer of items from the estate of William Bowman on 3 August 1790 in Abbeville County. Box 12, Package 231 Abbeville Courthouse.|
|Court Record*||In 1793 John Herston and his brother Peter Herston are listed as executors on the will of Susana Maxfield's. Abbeville County, South Carolina, 10 September 1793.6|
|Court Record*||Helped make an inventory of William Adams estate along with William Hairston, Simeon Williams, Capt. John Irwin and Reuben Shotwell. page 9.7|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Males; under 10 2 (possible sons Samuel and Peter Jr.), 10-15 1 (?), 16-25 2 (Robert and ? ), 45+ 1 (Peter), Females; under 10 3, 10-15 1, 26-44 1(wife Mary). William Lomax is a neighbor. The 1800 census shows 5 possible sons, but only Robert, Samuel and Peter appear in records. This leaves 2 sons and 3 daughters unknown. However, the children indicated could be close relatives or boarders.2|
|Court Record||Peter Hairston filed a bill in Equity Court against John Hairston on 3 January 1804 in the Ninety-Six District, South Carolina. This was related to the sale of 200 acres by Peter Hairston to John Hairston.|
|Probate||He was a buyer of property from the estate of William HAIRSTON on 4 May 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price. Inventory was made by John Hairston, Archibald Douglas and William Bell. Buyers listed in probate included: his William's wife Ann, John Hairston, Peter Hairston Jr., William Hairston, Jr., Hugh B. Hairston, James Lomax and James Robert Hairston. Also Benjamin Adams, Henry ? , William Russel, Aaron Snodin, Foster Leachman, Joseph Doneny, Amos Spiller, John Russel, Nancy Pane, John Walls, William Young, John Walls, William Turnblen and Charles Walls. Sale was signed by James Lomax Jr, clerk.|
|NOTE||The 1790 and 1800 census records show a possible 5 sons, yet we only have 4 (Robert, Samuel, Peter and John B.) listed. It is also possible that the extra male household members died young or were not his sons.|
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3227] Will of Robert Yeldell Sr. - 1789, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 15 Jan 1790, Will Book 1, Page 20, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S3718] Weaver, Oliver C. Jr., Yeldell and Hartsfield Families and Weaver Family, 1993, Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1790] 1790 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3228] Will of Susana Maxfield - 10 Sep 1793, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 28 Mar 1794, Will Book 1, Page 109, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S279] Lomax, Joseph, Genealogical and Historical Sketches of The Lomax Family, The Rookus Printing House, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1894.
|Last Edited||9 Apr 2023|