HAIRSTON.org ID#3962, b. between 1776 and 1780, d. 22 August 1841
|Father*||Peter HAIRSTON1 b. b 1755|
|Birth*||Robert HAIRSTON was born between 1776 and 1780 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.2,3|
|He was the son of Peter HAIRSTON and Mary YELDELL.1|
|Will||Robert HAIRSTON was mentioned in the will of Robert YELDELL on 21 June 1789 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; mentions grandson Robert Hairston and son-in-law Peter Hairston. Children James (deceased), Jean, Sarah White, Mary Hairston, Robert, Anthony, Phebe. Grandchildren Robert Yeldell, Robert Hairston.1|
|Marriage*||Robert HAIRSTON married Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER), daughter of George SMELTZER (SMELSER) and Mary (surname unknown), about 1804.|
|County Change||1807 - Bedford County formed from Rutherford County.|
|County Change*||1809 - Lincoln County formed from Bedford County.|
|Census 1810*||1810 Federal Census for Tennessee was lost.4|
|Property||1813 Lincoln Co. - Micajah McElroy and Daniel Summer sold to Robert Hairston "a negro boy named Bob aged about 13 years old." This transaction was recorded 16 Aug 1821, page 154.5|
|Census 1820*||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 7 August 1820 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males 1-9 1, 10-15 1, 26-44 1, Females 1-9 1, 10-15 1, 25-44 1, slaves 1. - census page 21. Robert is listed next to William Meek from South Carolina.3|
|Property||1821 Lincoln Co. - Eli, Agatha, Willian and Polly Garrett sold to Robert Hairston "negro girl named Delila age about 8 years". 7 March 1821.5|
|Property||1823 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased a 12 year old negro girl named Caroline on 2 June 1823 from William McElroy. Lincoln County Deed. Reg. 18 March 1826 Book C, page 347.5|
|Property||1826 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased a 14 year old negro boy named Amos from Robert Dickson on 3 April 1826. Reg. 22 May 1826, Lincoln County, Tennessee Deed Book G, page 395.5|
|Property||1827 Lincoln Co. - listed as note holder Lincoln Co. Deed Book H, page 375.5|
|Property||1827 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased 1,025 acres in Lincoln Co. from Thomas J. and Charles J. Polk of Sumpter District, South Carolina. Lincoln Co. Deed Book H, page 389.5|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males 15-19 1, 20-29 1, 50-59 1, Females: 10-14 1, 40-49 1, slaves 6.2|
|Property||1830 Lincoln Co. - Purchased an additonal 50 acres of land from Thomas J. and Chales J. Polk. Lincoln County Deed Book H, page 591.5|
|Property*||1836 Lincoln Co. - listed on tax list for Lincoln Co., Tenneessee.|
|Probate||He was listed as a beneficiary in George SMELTZER (SMELSER)'s will on 19 July 1836; Margaret Smelser Hairston and husband Robert Hairston of Lincoln County, Tennessee sell land inherited from George Smelser to Wilson L. Overall. St. Charles County, Missouri Book K, pages 326-327.|
|Census 1841 Miss*||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the Mississippi Census of 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi; Robert Hairston Males 2, Females 2.6|
|Will*||He left a will on 12 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi. A copy of the will was also filed in the Lincoln County Will Books, Page 122 - Tennessee Wills and Probate Records.7|
|Death*||He died on 22 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi.8|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 25 October 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi, it was also filed in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Will Book 1, page 204.9|
|Probate||Guardian Settlement Records of Lincoln County Court:|
a. Feb. 23, 1843 Manly Hairston for Robert Hairston, grandson of Robert hairston deceased, $556.63 . Received from Manly by James Hairston for child Robert mentioned in Robert Hairston dec'd will of 1841. p 175.7
|NOTE*||NOTE: I Robert Hairston's (c1776-1841) will dated 12 August 1841, he mentions "my nephew Robert Hairston five hundred dollars in cash". However, his known brothers Samuel and Peter do not have any known sons named Robert. Robert's father, Peter Hairston and wife Mary Yeldell listed 4 males under 16 in the 1790 census. There is probably an unknown son that named his son Robert. This unknown son would have been born between 1774.7|
|Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER) b. a 1785, d. 16 Nov 1862|
- [S3227] Will of Robert Yeldell Sr. - 1789, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 15 Jan 1790, Will Book 1, Page 20, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3057] Land Deed Genealogy of Lincoln County Tennessee, 1818 - 1828 Volume 2 compiles by Helen C. & Timothy R. Marsh, Southern Historical Press, Inc., Greenville, South Carolina - 1996.
- [S1841] 1841 Mississippi Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3251] Tennessee Wills & Probate Records 1779-2008, Ancestry.com.
- [S3176] Lincoln County Tennessee Bible Records, Volume 4, compiled by Mabel Abbott Tucker and Jane Warren Waller, Lincoln County Tennessee Pioneers, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3056] Index to Tennessee Wills & Administrations, 1779 - 1861, by Byron & Barbara Sistler, Nashville, TN 1990.
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
|Last Edited||15 May 2020|