HAIRSTON.org ID#3962, b. between 1776 and 1780, d. 22 August 1841
|Father*||Peter HAIRSTON1 b. b 1755|
|Birth*||Robert Hairston was born between 1776 and 1780 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.2,3|
|He was the son of Peter HAIRSTON and Mary YELDELL.1|
|Will||Robert Hairston was mentioned in the will of Robert YELDELL on 21 June 1789 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; mentions grandson Robert Hairston and son-in-law Peter Hairston. Children James (deceased) Jean, Sarah White, Mary Hairston, Robert, Anthony, Phebe. Grandchildren Robert Yeldell, Robert Hairston.1|
|Marriage*||Robert Hairston married Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER), daughter of George SMELTZER (SMELSER) and Mary (surname unknown), about 1804.|
|County Change||1807 - Bedford County formed from Rutherford County.|
|County Change*||1809 - Lincoln County formed from Bedford County.|
|Census 1810*||1810 Federal Census for Tennessee was lost.4|
|Property||1813 Lincoln Co. - Micajah McElroy and Daniel Summer sold to Robert Hairston "a negro boy named Bob aged about 13 years old." This transaction was recorded 16 Aug 1821, page 154.5|
|Census 1820*||Robert Hairston appeared on the census of 7 August 1820 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males 1-9 1, 10-15 1, 26-44 1, Females 1-9 1, 10-15 1, 25-44 1, slaves 1. - census page 21. Robert is listed next to William Meek from South Carolina.3|
|Property||1821 Lincoln Co. - Eli, Agatha, Willian and Polly Garrett sold to Robert Hairston "negro girl named Delila age about 8 years". 7 March 1821.5|
|Property||1823 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased a 12 year old negro girl named Caroline on 2 June 1823 from William McElroy. Lincoln County Deed. Reg. 18 March 1826 Book C, page 347.5|
|Property||1826 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased a 14 year old negro boy named Amos from Robert Dickson on 3 April 1826. Reg. 22 May 1826, Lincoln County, Tennessee Deed Book G, page 395.5|
|Property||1827 Lincoln Co. - listed as note holder Lincoln Co. Deed Book H, page 375.5|
|Property||1827 Lincoln Co. - Robert purchased 1,025 acres in Lincoln Co. from Thomas J. and Charles J. Polk of Sumpter District, South Carolina. Lincoln Co. Deed Book H, page 389.5|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males 15-19 1, 20-29 1, 50-59 1, Females: 10-14 1, 40-49 1, slaves 6.2|
|Property||1830 Lincoln Co. - Purchased an additonal 50 acres of land from Thomas J. and Chales J. Polk. Lincoln County Deed Book H, page 591.5|
|Property*||1836 Lincoln Co. - listed on tax list for Lincoln Co., Tenneessee.|
|Probate||He was listed as a beneficiary in George SMELTZER (SMELSER)'s will on 19 July 1836; Margaret Smelser Hairston and husband Robert Hairston of Lincoln County, Tennessee sell land inherited from George Smelser to Wilson L. Overall. St. Charles County, Missouri Book K, pages 326-327.|
|Census 1841 Miss*||Robert Hairston appeared on the Mississippi Census of 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi; Robert Hairston Males 2, Females 2.6|
|Will*||He left a will on 12 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi. A copy of the will was also filed in the Lincoln County Will Books, Page 122 - Tennessee Wills and Probate Records.7|
|Death*||He died on 22 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi.8|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 25 October 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi, it was also filed in Lincoln Co., Tennessee, Will Book 1, page 204.9|
|Probate||Guardian Settlement Records of Lincoln County Court:|
a. Feb. 23, 1843 Manly Hairston for Robert Hairston, grandson of Robert hairston deceased, $556.63 . Received from Manly by James Hairston for child Robert mentioned in Robert Hairston dec'd will of 1841. p 175.7
|Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER) b. a 1785, d. 16 Nov 1862|
- [S3227] Will of Robert Yeldell Sr. - 1789, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Recorded 15 Jan 1790, Will Book 1, Page 20, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3057] Land Deed Genealogy of Lincoln County Tennessee, 1818 - 1828 Volume 2 compiles by Helen C. & Timothy R. Marsh, Southern Historical Press, Inc., Greenville, South Carolina - 1996.
- [S1841] 1841 Mississippi Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3251] Tennessee Wills & Probate Records 1779-2008, Ancestry.com.
- [S3176] Lincoln County Tennessee Bible Records, Volume 4, compiled by Mabel Abbott Tucker and Jane Warren Waller, Lincoln County Tennessee Pioneers, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3056] Index to Tennessee Wills & Administrations, 1779 - 1861, by Byron & Barbara Sistler, Nashville, TN 1990.
- [S46] The Hairston History, Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - printed book.
|Last Edited||18 Jan 2017|