James Needham HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#3976, b. 13 September 1812, d. about 1857
|Father*||Robert HAIRSTON1 b. bt 1776 - 1780, d. 22 Aug 1841|
|Mother*||Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER)1 b. a 1785, d. 16 Nov 1862|
|Birth*||James Needham HAIRSTON was born on 13 September 1812 in Tennessee. The 1900 census of Nancy Minerva Hairston McCaleb states both her parents were born in Tennessee.2,3|
|He was the son of Robert HAIRSTON and Margaret SMELTZER (SMELSER).1|
|Marriage*||James Needham HAIRSTON married Mary VAUGHN about 1838.|
|Census 1840*||James Needham HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1840 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males under 5 1, 20-29 2, Females under 5 1, 15-19 1, slaves 2. A Sarah Vaughan, age 50-59 born 1781-1790, is also listed in the 1840 Lincoln County census. Possibly related to Mary Vaughan.4|
|Will||In Robert HAIRSTON's will dated 12 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi, James Needham HAIRSTON was named as an heir; a copy of the will was also filed in the Lincoln County Will Books, Page 204 - Tennessee Wills and Probate Records. Family History Library Film #007642927, Image #383.5|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 17 October 1850 in Tulip, Dallas County, Arkansas. |
|Probate*||James Hairston as guardian for his son Robert Hairston a minor 6 April 1852 Probate Court, Dallas County, Arkansas.6|
|Probate||James hairston as guardian for his son Robert Hairston a minor 5 April 1854 Probate Court, Dallas County, Arkansas; James Hairston as guardian for his son Robert Hairston a minor.6|
|Death*||He died about 1857 in Dallas County, Arkansas.6|
|Probate||His estate was probated on 14 February 1857 in Probate Court, Dallas County, Arkansas.6|
|Property*||1857 Dallas County - 40 acres Township 10 S, Range 16 W, Section 36 Note: This was issued after his death.7|
|Mary VAUGHN b. 3 Sep 1815, d. 19 Jul 1901|
- [S46] Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, The Hairston History, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - copy.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3176] Lincoln County Tennessee Bible Records, Volume 4, compiled by Mabel Abbott Tucker and Jane Warren Waller, Lincoln County Tennessee Pioneers. Family History Library Film #007831066., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3251] Tennessee Wills & Probate Records 1779-2008, Ancestry.com.
- [S3260] Record of Wills, 1843-1921; Author: Arkansas. Probate Court (Dallas County); Probate Place: Dallas, Arkansas, Ancestry.com.
- [S3261] United States. Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records. Automated Records Project; Federal Land Patents, State Volumes. http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/. Springfield, Virginia: Bureau of Land Management, Eastern States, 2007.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||5 Jan 2023|