HAIRSTON.org ID#3736, b. October 1839
|Father*||James Needham HAIRSTON1 b. 13 Sep 1812, d. a 1857|
|Mother*||Mary VAUGHN1 b. 3 Sep 1815, d. 19 Jul 1901|
|Birth*||Robert HAIRSTON was born in October 1839 in Tennessee.2,3,4|
|He was the son of James Needham HAIRSTON and Mary VAUGHN.1|
|Will||In Robert HAIRSTON's will dated 12 August 1841 in Marshall County, Mississippi, Robert HAIRSTON was named as an heir; a copy of the will was also filed in the Lincoln County Will Books, Page 204 - Tennessee Wills and Probate Records. Family History Library Film #007642927, Image #383.5|
|Census 1850||He appeared on the 1850 census of James Needham HAIRSTON on 17 October 1850 in Tulip, Dallas County, Arkansas. |
|Marriage*||Robert HAIRSTON married Martha Ann WALLER, daughter of John Staples WALLER and Ann E. Walters, on 4 August 1859 in Calhoun County, Arkansas.3,6,7|
|Census 1860||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of John Staples WALLER on 4 July 1860 in Caswell, Calhoun County, Arkansas; J S Waller 42 VA, Ann 35 VA, Mary 19 VA, James 17 VA, John 14 VA, William 10 MS, Madison 9 MS, George 7 MS, Robert 4 MS, Ira 2 MS, Robert Hairston 21 TN, Martha Hairston 16 VA, John Hairston 1/12 AR.7|
|Residence*||Robert HAIRSTON lived in 1864 in Red River County, Texas; Robert Hairston, born in Tennessee, registered to vote 20 Aug 1867 in Red River Co., TX and had been in said county for 3 years.8|
|Census 1870*||He appeared on the census of 19 July 1870 in Panola County, Texas.6 |
|Census 1880*||He appeared on the census of 1 July 1880 in Precinct 8, Panola County, Texas, Robert 41 TN, Martha A. 36 VA, Robert 17 TN, Ann E. 14 TN, George E. 9 TN, Kate A. 4 TN, and Ann E. Phillips mother-in-law.2 |
|Death Spouse*||His wife, Martha Ann Waller, died about 1881.|
|Marriage*||He married Dora HOLLAND on 7 September 1882 in Panola, Texas.4,9|
|Census 1900*||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 6 June 1900 in Panola County, Texas, Robert lists both his parents born in Tennessee.4|
|NOTE*||The following are my reasons for adding Robert Hairston (#3736 b. Oct 1839 - d. unknown) as a son of James Needham Hairston:|
1. In the 1840 Federal Census James Needham Hairston has one male under five in his household.
2. In the will of Robert Hairston (#3962 b. c1778 - d. 1841) he leaves $500 to a nephew named Robert Hairston. Robert had two brothers (Samuel and Peter) and one sister. The sister married William Lomax and did not have a son named Robert Hairston. Peter did not have any male children under 5 in his 1840 census record and no males named Robert in the 1850 census. Samuel did not have any children born in Tennessee or named Robert in the 1850 census. Therfore, there are no records of Robert Hairston having a nephew named Robert Hairston. Did one of Margaret Smeltzer's sisters marry a man named Hairston and have a son named Robert in about 1839?
3. Could Robert have meant Grandson instead of Nephew?
4. The 1850 Census of James Hairston in Dallas County, Arkansas shows a son Robert 10 years old born in Tennessee.
5. In 1852 and 1854 there are Dallas County, Arkansas probate records stating "James Hairston as Guardian for his son Robert Hairston a Minor...".
6. The 1900 census of Robert Hairston indicates he was born in Tennesse in 1839 and both his parents were born in Tennessee.
|Martha Ann WALLER b. a 1844, d. a 1881|
|Dora HOLLAND b. 1 Jan 1851, d. 1 May 1907|
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S125] Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3251] Tennessee Wills & Probate Records 1779-2008, Ancestry.com.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3175] 1867 Voter Registration Lists. Microfilm, 12 rolls. Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Austin, Texas., Ancestry.com.
- [S266] Texas Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2011.
|Last Edited||5 Jan 2023|