Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS
HAIRSTON.org ID#1534, b. 1787, d. 1827
|Father*||Fielding LEWIS Jr.1,2,3,4 b. 14 Feb 1750/51, d. Jul 1803|
|Mother*||Ann Nancy ALEXANDER b. 1756, d. a 1788|
|Birth*||Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS was born in 1787 in Virginia.1|
|She was the daughter of Fielding LEWIS Jr. and Ann Nancy ALEXANDER.1,2,3,4|
|Married Name||As of 13 September 1814,her married name was FOOTE.|
|Marriage*||Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS married Gilson FOOTE, son of William FOOTE and Sarah ALEXANDER, on 15 September 1814 in Fauquier County, Virginia; On 14 September 1814, Gilson Foote and Henry C. Dade posted a $150 bond to obtained a marriage certificate for Gilson's marriage to Lucinda E. Lewis in Fauquier County, Virginia. The marriage took place on 15 September 1814 by Caleb Reynolds in Fauquier County, Virginia.5,6,1,7,2,8|
|Court Record||Fielding LEWIS Jr; The Virginia Chancery Records from the Library of Virginia contain copies of letters relating to a lawsuit concerning the 1805 will of Mildred G. Hammond of Jefferson County, West Virginia. Plaintiffs: Executors of the George Washington Estate, Lawrence Washington, etc. vs. Defendants: Lawrence Lewis, William McCarty Spotswood, Bushrod Washington, etc. The files contain hundreds of pages, including letters that list George Washington heirs and their descendents. |
A letter dated 19 May 1823 written by Mary D. Washington to the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia for the Court of Alexandria contains the following on page 4: "That Fielding Lewis died intestate on whose estate no person hath taken letters of administration leaving Charles A Lewis, Robert A Lewis, Catherine the wife of Henry C Dade, Lucinda the wife of Gilson Foote, Nancy the wife of Thomas Davidson and Elizabeth the wife of Alexander E. Spotswood." (I have added commas to make the sentence clearer.) This is a list of the living children of Fielding Lewis Jr. as of 1823. Please note that after the death of Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), Fielding Lewis Jr. stopped adding Jr. to his name. - These letters are found at the Library of Virginia, Chancery Records - Arlington County, Index Number 1837-019.3
|Court Record||Henry Chew DADE; On 10 September 1823, Henry C. Dade wrote a letter which is included in the Virginia Chancery records case 1837-019 concerning the estate of General George Washington. In the letter he mentions two daughters of Fielding Lewis Jr. and their husbands; Lucinda Lewis wife of Gilson Foote and Catherine D. Lewis wife of Henry C. Dade. Copy of the letter is attached.4|
|Death*||Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS died in 1827.6|
|Gilson FOOTE b. 3 May 1791, d. 14 Feb 1851|
- [S90] Lewis, William Terrell, 1811-1893. Genealogy of the Lewis Family In America: From the Middle of the Seventeenth Century Down to the Present Time. Louisville, Ky.: Pub. by the Courier-Journal Job Printing Co., 1893. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062356233, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3000] Glenn, Justin. The Washingtons, A Family History: Volume 1, Seven Generations of the Presidential Branch: Savas Beatie LLC, CA - 2014, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3694] Arlington Virginia Chancery Court 1837-09, Executors of George Washington estate vs descendants of George Washington regarding a claim by the husband of Mildred G. Hammond, a niece of George Washington which lasted until 1847., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3695] Virginia Chancery Court, Arlington County, Executors of George Washington vs Lawrence Lewis, etc. - 1837-019 https://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/case_detail.asp, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3643] Marriage - Gilson Foote & Lucinda Elizabeth Lewis - 1814 - Marriage Bond - 15 September 1814, Fauquier County, Virginia Bonds and Returns, 1759-1854, Volume 3, Page 232, Family Search Film #007578972, Image 588 and Register of Marriage, Fauquier County Marriage Bonds and Returns, No. 4 1820-1832, Page 27. Family Search Film #007578973, Image 22., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S83] Washington Family, John A. Washington, 17 November 1956.
- [S3140] Foote, Abram William, Foote Family: Comprising the Genealogy And History of Nathaniel Foote, of Wethersfield, Conn., And His Descendants; Vol. I, Rutland, Vt.: Marble City Press, The Tuttle Co., 1907. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89067465310, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3200] Tillman, James David. Tillman & Hamilton Family Records: With Their Many Ancestral Lineages. Meridian, Miss.: 1959-1963. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062498571, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
|Last Edited||9 Sep 2023|