Fielding LEWIS Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#1561, b. 14 February 1750/51, d. July 1803
|Father*||Colonel Fielding LEWIS1,2,3 b. 7 Jul 1725, d. a 10 Dec 1781|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Betty WASHINGTON4 b. 20 Jun 1733, d. 31 Mar 1797|
|Blessing*||Fielding LEWIS Jr. received a blessing on 14 February 1751; His godfathers were George Washington and Robert Jackson and his godmothers were Mrs. Mary Washington and Mrs. Frances Thornton.1|
|Birth*||He was born on 14 February 1750/51 in Fredricksburg, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.4,5,1|
|He was the son of Colonel Fielding LEWIS and Elizabeth Betty WASHINGTON.1,2,3,4|
|Marriage*||Fielding LEWIS Jr. married Ann Nancy ALEXANDER, daughter of Gerard ALEXANDER and Mary DENT, about 1769 in Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia.6,5,4,2,3|
|Will||Fielding LEWIS Jr. was mentioned in the will of Colonel Fielding LEWIS on 19 October 1781 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia; Mentions wife Betty, sons John, Fielding, George, Lawrence, Howell, and Robert.7|
|Marriage*||Fielding LEWIS Jr. married Elizabeth DADE in March 1789.4|
|Will||In President George WASHINGTON's will dated 9 July 1799 in Fairfax County, Virginia, Fielding LEWIS Jr. was named as an heir.8|
|Death*||He died in July 1803 in Virginia at age 52. Fielding Lewis Jr. did not leave a will.4,9|
|Court Record*||The Virginia Chancery Records from the Library of Virginia contain copies of letters relating to a lawsuit concerning the 1805 will of Mildred G. Hammond of Jefferson County, West Virginia. Plaintiffs: Executors of the George Washington Estate, Lawrence Washington, etc. vs. Defendants: Lawrence Lewis, William McCarty Spotswood, Bushrod Washington, etc. The files contain hundreds of pages, including letters that list George Washington heirs and their descendents. |
A letter dated 19 May 1823 written by Mary D. Washington to the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia for the Court of Alexandria contains the following on page 4: "That Fielding Lewis died intestate on whose estate no person hath taken letters of administration leaving Charles A Lewis, Robert A Lewis, Catherine the wife of Henry C Dade, Lucinda the wife of Gilson Foote, Nancy the wife of Thomas Davidson and Elizabeth the wife of Alexander E. Spotswood." (I have added commas to make the sentence clearer.) This is a list of the living children of Fielding Lewis Jr. as of 1823. Please note that after the death of Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), Fielding Lewis Jr. stopped adding Jr. to his name.
These letters are found at the Library of Virginia, Chancery Records - ARLINGTON CO, Index Number 1837-019 - https://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/case_detail.asp?CFN=013-1837-019.9
|Ann Nancy ALEXANDER b. 1756, d. a 1788|
|Elizabeth DADE d. bt 1804 - 1807|
- [S90] Lewis, William Terrell, 1811-1893. Genealogy of the Lewis Family In America: From the Middle of the Seventeenth Century Down to the Present Time. Louisville, Ky.: Pub. by the Courier-Journal Job Printing Co., 1893. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062356233, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3200] Tillman, James David. Tillman & Hamilton Family Records: With Their Many Ancestral Lineages. Meridian, Miss.: 1959-1963. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062498571, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3640] Lowther, Minnie Kendall. Mount Vernon: Its Children, Its Romances, Its Allied Families And Mansions. Philadelphia: John C. Winston Co., 1932. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uiug.30112047559510, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3000] Glenn, Justin. The Washingtons, A Family History: Volume 1, Seven Generations of the Presidential Branch: Savas Beatie LLC, CA - 2014, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3001] John A. Washington, letter. November 17, 1956, from 1104 Vermont Avenue, N.W., Washington 5, D.C., to Miss Patty.
- [S83] Washington Family, John A. Washington, 17 November 1956.
- [S3624] Will of Fielding Lewis - 1781 and Codicil dated 10 Dec 1781, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, Will Book Vol. E,1772-1798, Will and codicil on pages 434-440, Family Search Film #007645806, Image 253 - Will Book Vol. E,1772-1798, estate inventory on page 457, Family Search Film #007645806, Image 265., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3642] Will of George Washington, 9 July 1799 - The original last will and testament of General George Washington filed 1800, Family Search Film #007644633, Images 1-61., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3694] Arlington Virginia Chancery Court 1837-09, Executors of George Washington estate vs descendants of George Washington regarding a claim by the husband of Mildred G. Hammond, a niece of George Washington which lasted until 1847., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3695] Virginia Chancery Court, Arlington County, Executors of George Washington vs Lawrence Lewis, etc. - 1837-019, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
|Last Edited||31 Oct 2022|