Catherine Dade LEWIS
HAIRSTON.org ID#1567, b. 1790
|Father*||Fielding LEWIS Jr.1,2,3 b. 14 Feb 1750/51, d. Jul 1803|
|Mother*||Elizabeth DADE4 d. bt 1804 - 1807|
|Birth*||Catherine Dade LEWIS was born in 1790 in Virginia.5,2|
|She was the daughter of Fielding LEWIS Jr. and Elizabeth DADE.1,2,3,4|
|Married Name||As of 15 November 1809,her married name was DADE.|
|Marriage*||Catherine Dade LEWIS married Henry Chew DADE on 15 November 1809.6,1,7,2|
|Court Record||The Virginia Chancery Records from the Library of Virginia contain copies of letters relating to a lawsuit concerning the 1805 will of Mildred G. Hammond of Jefferson County, West Virginia. Plaintiffs: Executors of the George Washington Estate, Lawrence Washington, etc. vs. Defendants: Lawrence Lewis, William McCarty Spotswood, Bushrod Washington, etc. The files contain hundreds of pages, including letters that list George Washington heirs and their descendents. |
A letter dated 19 May 1823 written by Mary D. Washington to the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia for the Court of Alexandria contains the following on page 4: "That Fielding Lewis died intestate on whose estate no person hath taken letters of administration leaving Charles A Lewis, Robert A Lewis, Catherine the wife of Henry C Dade, Lucinda the wife of Gilson Foote, Nancy the wife of Thomas Davidson and Elizabeth the wife of Alexander E. Spotswood." (I have added commas to make the sentence clearer.) This is a list of the living children of Fielding Lewis Jr. as of 1823. Please note that after the death of Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), Fielding Lewis Jr. stopped adding Jr. to his name. - These letters are found at the Library of Virginia, Chancery Records - Arlington County, Index Number 1837-019.3
|Court Record||Henry Chew DADE; On 10 September 1823, Henry C. Dade wrote a letter which is included in the Virginia Chancery records case 1837-019 concerning the estate of General George Washington. In the letter he mentions two daughters of Fielding Lewis Jr. and their husbands; Lucinda Lewis wife of Gilson Foote and Catherine D. Lewis wife of Henry C. Dade. Copy of the letter is attached.8|
|Residence*||Catherine Dade LEWIS lived in 1835 in Moved to, Noxubee County, Mississippi.|
|Will||She was mentioned in the will of Henry Chew DADE on 9 August 1839 in Noxubee County, Mississippi; Mentions wife Catherine D. Dade, sons Robert F. Dade, Henry C. Dade Jr., Lee M. Dade, F. H. Dade, daughters Elizabeth W. Dabney, Lucinda F. Foote.9,10|
|Census 1850||Catherine Dade LEWIS appeared on the 1850 census of Hezekiah "Henry" William FOOTE on 30 August 1850 in Noxubee County, Mississippi; HW 39, Lucinda F 29, Ann 12, Catharine L 10, William 8, Henry 6, Thomas 4, Frances A 0, Catherine D Dade 60.11|
|Burial*||Catherine Dade LEWIS was buried in Odd Fellows Cemetery, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.12 |
|Henry Chew DADE b. a 1778, d. 20 Sep 1841|
- [S90] Lewis, William Terrell, 1811-1893. Genealogy of the Lewis Family In America: From the Middle of the Seventeenth Century Down to the Present Time. Louisville, Ky.: Pub. by the Courier-Journal Job Printing Co., 1893. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062356233, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3200] Tillman, James David. Tillman & Hamilton Family Records: With Their Many Ancestral Lineages. Meridian, Miss.: 1959-1963. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062498571, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3694] Arlington Virginia Chancery Court 1837-09, Executors of George Washington estate vs descendants of George Washington regarding a claim by the husband of Mildred G. Hammond, a niece of George Washington which lasted until 1847., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3000] Glenn, Justin. The Washingtons, A Family History: Volume 1, Seven Generations of the Presidential Branch: Savas Beatie LLC, CA - 2014, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S83] Washington Family, John A. Washington, 17 November 1956.
- [S89] Tandy, Lura Boulton and John Meriwether McAllister. Genealogies of the Lewis And Kindred Families. Salem, Mass.: Higginson Book Co., 199. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062355862, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3695] Virginia Chancery Court, Arlington County, Executors of George Washington vs Lawrence Lewis, etc. - 1837-019 https://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/case_detail.asp, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3639] Will of Henry Chew Dade - 9 Aug 1839 "Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99QX-39ZF-M : 21 May 2014), Noxubee > Wills 1834-1894 vol A-B > image 49 of 456; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3189] Abstracts of Wills of Noxubee Co., MS., 1834 - 1910 and Index cases, Noxubee County Historical Society, Macon, MS, 1990, Ancestry.com.
- [S3630] "United States Census, 1850," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6DCS-QYN : 9 April 2016), Mississippi > Noxubee > Noxubee county > image 6 of 121; citing NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.)., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S39] Odd Fellows Cemetery, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.
|Last Edited||19 Apr 2022|