HAIRSTON.org ID#1533, b. 3 May 1791, d. 14 February 1851
|Father*||William FOOTE1,2 b. a 1753, d. 1833|
|Mother*||Sarah ALEXANDER b. 22 Nov 1767|
|Birth*||Gilson FOOTE was born on 3 May 1791 in Prince William, Virginia.3,4,5,2,6|
|He was the son of William FOOTE and Sarah ALEXANDER.1,2|
|Marriage*||Gilson FOOTE married Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS, daughter of Fielding LEWIS Jr. and Ann Nancy ALEXANDER, on 15 September 1814 in Fauquier County, Virginia; On 14 September 1814, Gilson Foote and Henry C. Dade posted a $150 bond to obtained a marriage certificate for Gilson's marriage to Lucinda E. Lewis in Fauquier County, Virginia. The marriage took place on 15 September 1814 by Caleb Reynolds in Fauquier County, Virginia.7,5,8,2,6,9|
|Court Record||Fielding LEWIS Jr; The Virginia Chancery Records from the Library of Virginia contain copies of letters relating to a lawsuit concerning the 1805 will of Mildred G. Hammond of Jefferson County, West Virginia. Plaintiffs: Executors of the George Washington Estate, Lawrence Washington, etc. vs. Defendants: Lawrence Lewis, William McCarty Spotswood, Bushrod Washington, etc. The files contain hundreds of pages, including letters that list George Washington heirs and their descendents. |
A letter dated 19 May 1823 written by Mary D. Washington to the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia for the Court of Alexandria contains the following on page 4: "That Fielding Lewis died intestate on whose estate no person hath taken letters of administration leaving Charles A Lewis, Robert A Lewis, Catherine the wife of Henry C Dade, Lucinda the wife of Gilson Foote, Nancy the wife of Thomas Davidson and Elizabeth the wife of Alexander E. Spotswood." (I have added commas to make the sentence clearer.) This is a list of the living children of Fielding Lewis Jr. as of 1823. Please note that after the death of Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), Fielding Lewis Jr. stopped adding Jr. to his name.
These letters are found at the Library of Virginia, Chancery Records - ARLINGTON CO, Index Number 1837-019 - https://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/case_detail.asp?CFN=013-1837-019.10
|Death Spouse*||His wife, Lucinda E. Lewis, died about 1827.5|
|Census 1830*||Gilson FOOTE appeared on the census of 1830 in Fauquier County, Virginia, Males <5 1, 30-39 1; Females <5 1; Slaves 8.11|
|Will||He was mentioned in the will of William FOOTE on 22 March 1833 in Cedar Hill, Fauquier County, Virginia.1,12|
|Census 1840*||Gilson FOOTE appeared on the census of 1840 in Noxubee County, Mississippi, Males 5-9 1, 10-14 1, 20-29 1, 40-49 1; Females 15-19 1.13|
|Will||He left a will on 11 March 1849 in Noxubee County, Mississippi, Lists sons George H. Foote, Robert L. Foote, daughter Mary C. Foote, deceased daughter Sarah E. Grant, granddaughter Laura F. Grant. Copy of will attached.14|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 1850 in Noxubee County, Mississippi, Gilson Foote 58 born in VA, Mary C Foote 25 born in VA.15|
|Death*||He died on 14 February 1851 in Noxubee County, Mississippi, at age 59; Will book J, page 158.6|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 4 March 1851 in Noxubee County, Mississippi.1,14|
|Lucinda Elizabeth LEWIS b. 1787, d. 1827|
- [S3189] Abstracts of Wills of Noxubee Co., MS., 1834 - 1910 and Index cases, Noxubee County Historical Society, Macon, MS, 1990, Ancestry.com.
- [S3140] Foote, Abram William, Foote Family: Comprising the Genealogy And History of Nathaniel Foote, of Wethersfield, Conn., And His Descendants; Vol. I, Rutland, Vt.: Marble City Press, The Tuttle Co., 1907. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89067465310, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S73] Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) - This information has been claimed, but I have no idea if it is accurate.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S83] Washington Family, John A. Washington, 17 November 1956.
- [S3000] Glenn, Justin. The Washingtons, A Family History: Volume 1, Seven Generations of the Presidential Branch: Savas Beatie LLC, CA - 2014, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3643] Marriage - Gilson Foote & Lucinda Elizabeth Lewis - 1814 - Marriage Bond - 15 September 1814, Fauquier County, Virginia Bonds and Returns, 1759-1854, Volume 3, Page 232, Family Search Film #007578972, Image 588 and Register of Marriage, Fauquier County Marriage Bonds and Returns, No. 4 1820-1832, Page 27. Family Search Film #007578973, Image 22., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S90] Lewis, William Terrell, 1811-1893. Genealogy of the Lewis Family In America: From the Middle of the Seventeenth Century Down to the Present Time. Louisville, Ky.: Pub. by the Courier-Journal Job Printing Co., 1893. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062356233, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3200] Tillman, James David. Tillman & Hamilton Family Records: With Their Many Ancestral Lineages. Meridian, Miss.: 1959-1963. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062498571, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3694] Arlington Virginia Chancery Court 1837-09, Executors of George Washington estate vs descendants of George Washington regarding a claim by the husband of Mildred G. Hammond, a niece of George Washington which lasted until 1847., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3636] "United States Census, 1830," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XH54-15C : 20 February 2021), Gilson Foote, Fauquier, Virginia, United States; citing 427, NARA microfilm publication M19, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 194; FHL microfilm 29,673.
- [S3620] Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930, images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9QX-39CV-S : 21 May 2014), Noxubee > Wills 1834-1894 vol A-B > image 33 of 456; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3635] "United States Census, 1840," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHTX-KD7 : 8 December 2020), Gilson Foote, Noxubee, Mississippi, United States; citing p. 110, NARA microfilm publication , (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll ; FHL microfilm .
- [S3011] Will of Gilson Foote -1849, Noxubee County, Mississippi Will Book A Page 158-163. Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930, images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9QX-39Z2-Y : 21 May 2014), Noxubee > Wills 1834-1894 vol A-B > image 134 of 456; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3637] "United States Census, 1850," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4LX-4M8 : 22 December 2020), Jillson Foote, Noxubee, Mississippi, United States; citing family , NARA microfilm publication (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
|Last Edited||6 Dec 2021|