Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#114, b. 25 January 1835, d. 19 January 1908
|Father*||Hardin HAIRSTON b. 23 Oct 1786, d. 23 Oct 1862|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES1 b. 1 Oct 1791, d. 4 May 1845|
|Birth*||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON was born on 25 January 1835 in Old Fort, Patrick Co., Virginia, the 1900 census shows Feburary as birth month.1,2,3|
|He was the son of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES.1|
|Census 1850||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Thomas B. BROOKS on 1 June 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Thomas B 34 GA, Sarah A 32 VA, Harriet E 15 MS (see Note), Mary T 4 MS, Hardin H 3 MS, James T W Brooks 15 VA (see Note), Samuel Thomas 45 SC (Overseer); Note: both Harriet and James were born 7 years before Thomas and Sarah were married and they are not listed in the Harden Bible with their other children. They could be from a previous relationship.4 |
|College*||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON graduated college in 1858 in Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia.5|
|Census 1860||He appeared on the 1860 census of Hardin HAIRSTON on 14 July 1860 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Harden Hairston 73 - Planter, J.T.W Hairston 24 - Planter, J. H. Walker 35 - Negro Manager.6|
|Military||James Thomas Watt Hairston - Captain, mustered 15 February 1861, at Crawfordsville, Mississippi, in the Prairie Guards. age 26. He was a graduate of the Virginia Military institute and was elected Captain of Company E on 26 April 1861.|
|Military*||Major & A.A.G.on Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Staff - Cayalry Division A.N. Virginia, Confederate States Army.5|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122. PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.7|
|Military||Major JTW Hairston resigned as an officer in the calvary due to physical problems on 15 May 1863. He was the Division Provost Officer for Major General JEB Stuart.|
|Census 1870*||He appeared on the census of 18 June 1870 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi, J T W Hariston 35 born in Virginia, living alone.8|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON, daughter of Marshall HAIRSTON and Ann Marshall HAIRSTON, on 24 June 1873 in Beaver Creek Plantation, Henry Co., Virginia.1,9,3|
|Census 1880||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the 1880 census of Marshall HAIRSTON on 15 June 1880 in Martinsville, Henry County, Virginia; Marshal 77, Ann 77, Ann 40, James T Hairston 45 (married, son in law), Elizabeth 44 (married), Watt 3 (grand son.)10|
|Probate||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON was mentioned in the probate of the estate of George HAIRSTON on 6 June 1885 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Case No. 2019, Estate Files 2011-2051. A pdf copy is attached.11|
|Census 1900*||Major James Thomas Watt HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 19 June 1900 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, JTW 65, E P 64, Watt H 23.2|
The Columbus Commercial, March 12, 1907.
|Death*||He died on 19 January 1908 in Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 72.1,5,9|
|Burial*||He was buried in Beaver Creek Plantation, Henry Co., Virginia.12,5|
|Elizabeth Perkins HAIRSTON b. 29 Feb 1836, d. 24 Apr 1922|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart (#3)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3044] Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S30] They Followed the Plume The Story of J.E.B. Stuart and His Staff, Robert J. Trout, Stackpole Books, 1993.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S249] George Hairston Family Bible - 1750-1916, Peter Hairston Bible - 1750-1928, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated Out of the Original Greek: and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised. Cooperstown, (N.Y.) Sterotyped, Printed and Published by H. & E. Phinney, 1829., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3317] Lowndes County Chancery Court Records, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S15] Beaver Creek Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
|Last Edited||1 Mar 2018|