HAIRSTON.org ID#49, b. about 1765
|Father*||Robert WOODS1,2 d. 1811|
|Marriage*||John WOODS married (surname unknown) HAWKINS in (no children).3|
|Birth*||John WOODS was born about 1765, Robert Hairston Bible states he was the son of Robert Woods, but does not give a birth date..4,1|
|He was the son of Robert WOODS and Elizabeth MIDDLETON.1,2|
|Tax Rolls*||John Woods is listed on the Franklin County Tax List in 1786.5|
|Occupation*||John WOODS was was attorney and served in Virginia Legislature about 1792.|
|Marriage*||He married Agnes Anne HAIRSTON, daughter of Robert HAIRSTON and Ruth STOVALL, on 12 October 1792 in Franklin County, Virginia.6,1,7,3|
|Deed||A second deed on August 30, 1800, Robert Woods Senior sells to John Woods for 40 pounds a parcel of land containing 563 acres on Chestnut Creek in Franklin County. Wtnwessed by Robert Woods Jr., Robert Martin and Nathan Mason. - Franklin County Deed Book 4, page 192. FSL 7898084-500.|
|Deed*||On January 19, 1803, John Woods sells to Josiah Woods, for 5 shillings, a tract of land containing 100 acres. Witnessed by Robert Woods. - Franklin County Deed Book 6, page 41. FSL 7898085-437.|
|Census 1810*||John WOODS appeared on the census of 1810 in Franklin County, Virginia, John Wood Sr. - Males; 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females; 16-25 1, 45+ 1. - FSL 4433404-611.8|
|Deed||On September 23, 1816, John Woods sells to James Bottom, for $100, two parcels of land containing 180 acres. Robert Woods, Andrew Thompson and Jehu Hate witnessed. - Franklin County Deed Book 7, page 514. FSL 7898086-275.|
|Deed*||In November 1816, John Woods sells to his brother Robert Woods, for $1,000, a parcel of land containing 130 acres. - Franklin County Deed Book 7, page 550. FSL 7898086-291.|
|Deed*||On June 14, 1828, John Woods sells to his son Robert T. Woods, for $84.50, any interest that John Woods has received from his father Robert Woods which includes furniture, 1 shotgun, 1 loom, all his live stock, 2 feather beds, cattle, etc.. - Franklin County Deed Book 12, page 242. FSL 8190423-478.|
1810 Census of Franklin County lists 3 people named John Wood or Woods: 1. John Wood, males under 10 1, 16-25 1, females under 10 1, 16-25 1 (listed on same page as John Woods Sr. and Richard Woods) - 2. John Woods Sr., males 16-25 1, 45+ 1, females 45+ 1 - 3. John Woods Jr., males 16-25 1 (listed sames page as Robert Woods).
1820 Census of Franklin County lists 2 people named John Wood: 1. John Wood, males under 10 2, 26-44 1, females under 10 2, 16-25 1 (listed next to Robert Wood Jr.) - 2. John Wood, males under 10 2, 26-44 1, females under 10 3, 10-15 1, 26-44 1 (listed next to Henry Wood). These men named John Wood are too young to be the above John Woods that married Agnes Hairston.
|(surname unknown) HAWKINS|
|Agnes Anne HAIRSTON b. a 1772, d. Jan 1810|
- [S143] Bible - Robert Hairston 1755-1844. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments, together with the Apocrypha: Translated Out of the Originial Tongues, and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised.... Philadelphia, Printed and Published by M. Carey, 1817. State Archives North Carolina 400.1.1.982.
- [S3417] Doran, Michael, Atlas of Virginia County Boundary Changes, 1634-1895, Iberian Publishing Co., Athens, GA1987., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S265] Woods, Weightsill Arno, Short History of Descendants and Allied Families of Robert Woods of Ireland, W. W. Kinloch, University of Wisconsin, 1909 https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89082592569, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S121] Will of Robert Hairston 26 May 1790, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, pages 70-71. Family History Search Film #7644994, images 69-70. Inventory & Appraisel record February 1793. Will Book #1, pages 85-87, 1786-1812. Family Search Library Film #7644994, images 77-78. Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3079] Wingfield, Marshall. Franklin County, Virginia: A History. Berryville, VA: Chesapeake Book Co, 1964. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S152] Dodd, Jordan, comp.. Virginia Marriages to 1800. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Virginia., Ancestry.com.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||26 Sep 2023|