HAIRSTON.org ID#2541, d. 1811
|Birth*||Robert WOODS was born in Ireland.1|
|Immigration*||He immigrated about 1730 to Virginia from Ireland.1|
|Property*||1754 - Robert Woods obtained property in Bedford County, Virginia.1|
|County Name||1754 - Bedford County from Lunenburg.2|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth MIDDLETON about 1767 in Virginia.3,1|
|County Name||1777 - Henry County from Pittsylvania.2|
|Oath to Virginia*||Robert WOODS on 30 August 1777, in Henry County, Virginia, county, took Oath Of Allegiance to Commonwealth of Virginia and renounced allegiance to Great Britian.4|
|Tax Rolls*||Robert Woods is listed on the Franklin County Tax List in 1786.5|
|County Name*||1786 - Franklin County from Bedford.2|
|Deed - Sell*||In October of 1793, Robert Woods and Hugh Innes High Sheiff of Franklin County sell to Thomas Hill a tract of land belonging to the estate of John Hicky, deceased, a piece of land they purchased because taxes had not been paid. Robert Woods Jr. was a witness. - Franklin County Deed Book 3, page 43. FSL 7898084 50.|
|Deed||On October 6, 1794, Robert Woods sells to his son Josiah Woods 212 acres in Franklin County, for 12 shillings. Franklin County Deed Book 3, page 149. FSL 7898084 105.|
|Deed*||On June 30, 1798, Robert Woods sells to his son Hugh Woods, 840 acres in Franklin County on Chestnut Creek for 200 pounds. Franklin County Deed Book 3, page 599. FSL 7898084 332.|
|Deed - Sell||On August 30, 1800, Robert Woods Senior sells to Robert Martin, for 40 pounds, a parcel of land in Franklin County containing 125 acres. Deed is witnessed by Robert Woods Jr., Hugh Martin and Nathan Mason. Franklin County Deed Book 4, page 191. - FSL 7898084 500.|
|Deed*||A second deed on August 30, 1800, Robert Woods Senior sells to John Woods for 40 pounds a parcel of land containing 563 acres on Chestnut Creek in Franklin County. Wtnwessed by Robert Woods Jr., Robert Martin and Nathan Mason. - Franklin County Deed Book 4, page 192. FSL 7898084-500.|
|Deed - Sell||On April 5, 1802, Robert Woods sells to Willam H. Shelton sells a parcel of land containing 100 acres. - Franklin County Deed Book 4, page 332. FSL 7898084 571.|
|Deed*||On June 18, 1802, Robert Woods Senior sels to Robert Woods Junior, for 40 pounds, a tract of land containing 210 acres. - Franklin County Deed Book 4, page 357. FSL 7898084 582.|
|Deed*||On December 6, 1808, Robert Woods Sr. sells to his son Josiah Woods, for 5 shillings, all the property that Robert Woods Sr. would receive from the death of his son Middleton Woods in March 1807 in Georgia. - Franklin County Deed Book 6, page 214. FSL 7898085 523.|
|Will*||He left a will on 9 March 1809 in Franklin County, Virginia. The following individuals are mentioned in the will; John S. Burwell, son Josiah Woods, daughter Sarah Woods, grandaughter Harriot Woods (dau. of Josiah), granddaughter Elizabeth Middleton Burwell, dau. Elizabeth Hill, son Robert Woods, grandson Wiley Woods (son of Josiah), and Bailey Woods (son of Hugh Woods dec.) John S. Burwell and Josiah Woods are executors. Witnesses are P. R. Gilmer, David Dickenson and Nathan Mason. Robert Woods's will has a sentence referring to children "who are not named in this will". - Franklin County Will Book 1, page 374. FSL 7644994 221.6,7|
|Census 1810*||He appeared on the census of 1810 in Franklin County, Virginia, Robert Woods Sr., Males 45+ 1, Females 26-44 1, Slaves 7. Listed next to Josiah Woods and Robert Woods Jr..8|
|Death*||He died in 1811 in Franklin County, Virginia.1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 4 November 1811 in Franklin County, Virginia.7|
- [S265] Woods, Weightsill Arno, Short History of Descendants and Allied Families of Robert Woods of Ireland, W. W. Kinloch, University of Wisconsin, 1909 https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89082592569, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3417] Doran, Michael, Atlas of Virginia County Boundary Changes, 1634-1895, Iberian Publishing Co., Athens, GA1987., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S143] Bible - Robert Hairston 1755-1844. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments, together with the Apocrypha: Translated Out of the Originial Tongues, and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised.... Philadelphia, Printed and Published by M. Carey, 1817. State Archives North Carolina 400.1.1.982.
- [S3046] Virginia Historical Society. The Virginia Magazine of History And Biography. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, June 1902, Volume IX., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3079] Wingfield, Marshall. Franklin County, Virginia: A History. Berryville, VA: Chesapeake Book Co, 1964. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3560] The Ridge Runners: a magazine of migration - v.6 (Aug. 1976) by William A. Yates, Rifle, CO, Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3561] Will of Robert Woods dated 9 March 1809, Proved 4 November 1811, Franklin County, Virginia Will Book #1, page 374-377. Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||1 Sep 2023|