HAIRSTON.org ID#40, b. 19 November 1788, d. 2 March 1875
|Father*||Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON2 b. 20 Sep 1750, d. 5 Mar 1827|
|Mother*||Elizabeth PERKINS2 b. 13 May 1759, d. 26 Jan 1819|
|Birth*||Samuel HAIRSTON was born on 19 November 1788 in Henry County, Virginia.2,3,4,5,6|
|He was the son of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Elizabeth PERKINS.2|
|College*||Samuel HAIRSTON was College about 1810; graduated from University of North Carolina.7|
|Military*|| Lieutenant under General Winfield Scott in the War of 1812.1|
|Marriage*||He married Agnes John Peter WILSON, daughter of Major Peter WILSON and Ruth Stovall HAIRSTON, about 1819.4|
|Will||In Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 7 March 1820 in Henry County, Virginia, Samuel HAIRSTON was named as an heir.8|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: 5-9 2, 10-14 1, 40-49 1, Females: <5 1, 20-29 1, Slaves 113.9|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: <5=1, 5-9=1, 15-19=2, 20-29=1, 50-59=1 / Females: 5-9=1, 10-14=1, 30-39=1 / Slaves: 208.10|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 1 November 1850 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 61, Agnes 48, Ruth Wilson 21, Alice Hairston 19, Samuel H Hairston 28, Samuel P Wilson 25, Agnes Wilson 1 - Farmer with $80,000 real estate.4|
|Anecdote*||"The Richest Man in Virginia" an article written in 1855 in Debow's Review about Samuel Hairston and his family. PDF transcript attached here.|
|Census 1860*||He appeared on the census of July 1860 in Southern District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 71, Agnes J P 58|
|Census 1870*||He appeared on the census of 2 August 1870 in Subdivision North of Dan River, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 81, Agnes J P 68, (Black servants and children Ella 51, Thomas 28, Mary A 25, Kittie 6, Alica 4).12|
|Death*||He died on 2 March 1875 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, at age 86.3,5,6|
|Burial*||He was buried in Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia; |
Photo: By Robert E. Hairston, Jr., 1990.6
|Agnes John Peter WILSON b. 22 Dec 1801, d. 12 Mar 1880|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S249] George Hairston Family Bible - 1750-1916, Peter Hairston Bible - 1750-1928, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated Out of the Original Greek: and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised. Cooperstown, (N.Y.) Sterotyped, Printed and Published by H. & E. Phinney, 1829., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S109] Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853–1912 Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S14] Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3296] Will of George Stovall Hairston -1820 - copy of will recorded in case #1833-008, Amos A. Atkinson & Wife vs. Exrs. of George Hairston, Chancery Records, Library of Virginia, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||18 Nov 2017|