HAIRSTON.org ID#40, b. 19 November 1788, d. 2 March 1875
|Father*||Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON1 b. 20 Sep 1750, d. 5 Mar 1827|
|Mother*||Elizabeth PERKINS1 b. 13 May 1759, d. 26 Jan 1819|
|Birth*||Samuel HAIRSTON was born on 19 November 1788 in Henry County, Virginia.1,2,3,4,5|
|He was the son of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Elizabeth PERKINS.1|
|College*||Samuel HAIRSTON graduated college about 1810; graduated from University of North Carolina.6|
|Military*|| Lieutenant under General Winfield Scott in the War of 1812.7|
|Marriage*||He married Agnes John Peter WILSON, daughter of Major Peter WILSON and Ruth Stovall HAIRSTON, about 1819.3|
|Will||In Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 7 March 1820 in Henry County, Virginia, Samuel HAIRSTON was named as an heir.8|
|Tax Rolls||1820 - Samuel Hairston pays taxes in Patrick County on 16 March 1820. Georgel Hairston, Jr. and Harden Hairston also pay taxes in Patrick County, Virginia in 1820. Family History Library Film #007856160 Image 735.|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: 5-9 2, 10-14 1, 40-49 1, Females: <5 1, 20-29 1, Slaves 113.9|
|Tax Rolls||1830 - Samuel, Robert and Peter Hairston (NC) pay taxes in Pittsylvania County. - Family Search Library Film #8151590, image 510.|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: <5=1, 5-9=1, 15-19=2, 20-29=1, 50-59=1 / Females: 5-9=1, 10-14=1, 30-39=1 / Slaves: 208.10|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 1 November 1850 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 61, Agnes 48, Ruth Wilson 21, Alice Hairston 19, Samuel H Hairston 28, Samuel P Wilson 25, Agnes Wilson 1 - Farmer with $80,000 real estate.3|
|Tax Rolls*||Samuel Hairston paid 1851 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 1 carriage $500,1 watch $80, 1 horse of $20, no white polls, 57 slaves between 5 and 60, state tax $20.10. county tax $20.10. Lowndes County Tax 1851, page 17. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 437.|
|Tax Rolls||Sam'l Hairston paid 1852 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 1 carriage $300, 1 watch $100, no white polls, 55 slaves between 5 and 60, state tax $18.50, county tax $18.50. Lowndes County Tax 1852, page 15. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 484.|
|Anecdote*||"The Richest Man in Virginia" an article written in 1855 in Debow's Review about Samuel Hairston and his family. PDF transcript attached here.|
|Property*||Samuel and Agnes J. P. Hairston of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, purchase 241 acres of property in Lowndes County, Mississippi from George Hairston of Lowndes County, Mississippi for $6,854, 29 December 1858. - Lowndes County Deed Vol. 31, page 325-326. FSL 8567104-178.|
|Census 1860*||He appeared on the census of July 1860 in Southern District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 71, Agnes J P 58|
|Will||He was mentioned in the will of Ruth Stovall HAIRSTON on 7 April 1866 in Berry Hill, Pittsylvania County, Virginia; Mentions: Peter W. Hairston (1819-1886), Ruth Stoval Hairston (1827-1889), Samuel Pannill Wilson (1822-1894), Alice Alcey hairston (1830-1914), Samuel Hardin Hairston (1822-1870), Ruth H. Wilson (daughter of Samuel and Ruth Wilson), William Lash Hairston (1863-1927), Samuel Hairston (1788-1875), Agnes John Peter Wilson (1801-1880) and deceased George Hairston (1822-1866).12|
|Census 1870*||Samuel HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 2 August 1870 in Subdivision North of Dan River, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Samuel 81, Agnes J P 68, (Black servants and children Ella 51, Thomas 28, Mary A 25, Kittie 6, Alica 4).13|
|Death*||He died on 2 March 1875 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, at age 86.2,4,5|
|Burial*||He was buried in Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia; |
Photo: By Robert E. Hairston, Jr., 1990.5
|Court Record||George H. CALLAWAY; 1888 - George H. Calloway, by next friend (guardian) vs N. E. Hairston, Marshall Hairston, Samuel Hairston, George Hairston, Hardin Hairston, John A. Hairston, Ruth S. Hairston, America Hairston and Mrs. Bethania Pannill. The complaint is that George H. Callaway, who is a lunatic, is claiming he should be an heir to the estate of Robert Hairston (1783-1852). - Lowndes County Chancery Court Case File #782. FSL 8631779-18.|
|Agnes John Peter WILSON b. 22 Dec 1801, d. 12 Mar 1880|
- [S249] George Hairston Family Bible - 1750-1916, Peter Hairston Bible - 1750-1928, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated Out of the Original Greek: and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised. Cooperstown, (N.Y.) Sterotyped, Printed and Published by H. & E. Phinney, 1829., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S109] Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853–1912 Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S14] Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S145] Pedigo, Virginia G. and Pedigo, Lewis Gravely. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia - Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933 available on ancestry.com - CAUTION - this book was written in 1933 and has many errors regarding the Hairston family., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3296] Will of George Stovall Hairston -1820 - copy of will recorded in case #1833-008, Amos A. Atkinson & Wife vs. Exrs. of George Hairston, Chancery Records, Library of Virginia, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3673] Will of Ruth Stovall Hairston - 7 April 1866 - Will was written in Pittsylvania County, Virginia in 1866 and Ruth died in same county. Copies were also filed in Stokes County, North Carolina and Haywood County, Tennessee. PDF copy of Stokes County, NC filing is attached. Haywood County, Tennessee Will Book I, page 336. Family History Library Film #00477660, image 205-207., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||8 Sep 2023|