HAIRSTON.org ID#3887, b. about 1755, d. 9 August 1835
|Father*||William LOMAX1 b. a 1700|
|Birth*||James LOMAX was born about 1755 in Rockingham County, North Carolina.1|
|He was the son of William LOMAX and Ann COXE.1|
|Marriage*||James LOMAX married Jane DILWORTH about 1777 in Rockingham County, South Carolina.1|
|Relocated*||James LOMAX and family relocated to Abbeville County, South Carolina, about 1779.|
|Census 1800*||He appeared on the census of 1800 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, James Lomax - Males under 10 1, 10-15 2, 16-25 1, 26-44 1, Females under 10 2, 16-25 1, 26-44 1.2|
|Will||In William HAIRSTON's will dated 18 March 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, James LOMAX was named as executor; People mentioned: children Peter, James, John, William, Thomas, Jane Brown and Agness Martin. Executors are James Lomax Sr. and John Brannan.3|
|Probate||He was a buyer of property from the estate of William HAIRSTON on 4 May 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; A list of personal property sold of William Hairston, dated 4 May 1808, was given to court. It listed the items sold, buyer's name and sale price. Inventory was made by John Hairston, Archibald Douglas and William Bell.|
Buyers listed in probate included: his William's wife Ann, John Hairston, Peter Hairston Jr., William Hairston, Jr., Hugh B. Hairston, James Lomax and James Robert Hairston. Also Benjamin Adams, Henry ? , William Russel, Aaron Snodin, Foster Leachman, Joseph Doneny, Amos Spiller, John Russel, Nancy Pane, John Walls, William Young, John Walls, William Turnblen and Charles Walls. Sale was signed by James Lomax Jr, clerk.
|Census 1810*||James LOMAX appeared on the census of 1810 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, James Lomax - Males 16-25 1, 45+ 1, Females 10-15 1, 16-25 1, 26-44 1. He is listed on same census page with George Lomax and Absolam Lomax. Robert Herston and John McCord are listed on the next page.4|
|Marriage*||He married Lucy (surname unknown) after 1823.1|
|Will||James LOMAX witnessed the will of James Robert HAIRSTON on 5 July 1827 in Abbeville District, South Carolina; Mentions his wife Jane, but no children are mentioned. John J. Kellar is an executor. He is the husband of Cynthia Lomax, the daughter of George Lomax, a witness.|
PDF copy of original will and transcript are attached here.5,6
|Will*||James LOMAX left a will on 12 December 1832 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, lists wife Lucy, children: George, William, James, Rachel Lomax and grandchildren: Nancy, Margaret, James (son of Absalom).6|
|Death*||He died on 9 August 1835.1|
|Burial*||He was buried in Lomax Cemetery, Abbeville County, South Carolina.1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 13 August 1835 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.6|
|Jane DILWORTH b. a 1755, d. 13 Aug 1823|
|Lucy (surname unknown) b. 22 Mar 1782, d. 11 Jan 1853|
- [S279] Lomax, Joseph, Genealogical and Historical Sketches of The Lomax Family, The Rookus Printing House, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1894.
- [S1800] 1800 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S232] Will of William Hairston - 18 March 1808, Abbeville District, South Carolina, Will Book 1, Page 360. http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/…, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S263] Will of James Robert Hairston - July 5, 1827, Abbeville County, South Carolina Will Book No. 1, Page 406, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
|Last Edited||25 Nov 2020|