Col. James LOMAX Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#3910, b. 5 May 1787, d. 18 September 1835
|Father*||James LOMAX1 b. a 1755, d. 9 Aug 1835|
|Mother*||Jane DILWORTH1 b. a 1755, d. 13 Aug 1823|
|Marriage*||Col. James LOMAX Jr. married Matilda HARGRAVE.1,2,3,4|
|Birth*||Col. James LOMAX Jr. was born on 5 May 1787.1,4|
|He was the son of James LOMAX and Jane DILWORTH.1|
|Will||Col. James LOMAX Jr. witnessed the will of William HAIRSTON on 18 March 1808 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; People mentioned: children Peter, James, John, William, Thomas, Jane Brown and Agness Martin. Executors are James Lomax Sr. and John Brannan.5|
|Will||In Susannah FRITH's will dated 8 December 1812 in Abbeville County, South Carolina, Col. James LOMAX Jr. was named as executor; Mentions the following: 1. daughter Milley Hairston and Milley's oldest daughter Beckey Hairston, 2. daughter Susannah Frith, 3. daughter Avis Brown |
and her son Jacob Frith, 4. daughter Nancy Spenser and her daughter Susannah Spencer, 5. Joseph Frith, 6. Archey Frith, 7. John Frith, 8. Haverd Frith, 9. Haverd Frith, 10. daughter Rebecca Goselin.
Executors: Arch. Frith, John Sprue and Jas. Lomax Jr.
Witnessed by James Lomax Jr., James McKee and Jesse Spencer.6,7
|Probate||He was a buyer of property from the estate of Joseph FRITH between 1817 and 1827; Inventory & Appraisment Estate of Joseph Frith Decd., 34-737, Record Book No. 4, pages 384 - 13 June 1817, Abbeville County, South Carolina.|
Some of the buyers were James Hearston Sr., Archibald Frith, James Lomax Jr. and William Lomax.8
|Will||Col. James LOMAX Jr. was mentioned in the will of James LOMAX on 12 December 1832 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; lists wife Lucy, children: George, William, James, Rachel Lomax and grandchildren: Nancy, Margaret, James (son of Absalom).2|
|Will*||Col. James LOMAX Jr. left a will on 5 September 1835 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; Mentions wife Matilda V. Lomax, 3 sons William James Lomax, Lucian Hargroves Lomax (a minor) and George Warren Lomax (a minor), his brother George Lomax. Witness: A. B. Arnold, Jessee S. Adams and W. W. Knight.3|
|Death*||He died on 18 September 1835 at age 48.1,4|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 15 October 1835 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.3|
- [S279] Lomax, Joseph, Genealogical and Historical Sketches of The Lomax Family, The Rookus Printing House, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1894.
- [S61] Young, Willie Pauline. Abstracts of Old Ninety-six And Abbeville District Wills And Bonds, As On File In the Abbeville, South Carolina, Courthouse. Abbeville, S.C., 1950 - https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x000162661 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3585] Will - James Lomax Jr. 1835 Wills, 1787-1868; Author: Abbeville County (South Carolina). Judge of Probate; Probate Place: Abbeville, South Carolina - Description Notes: Wills, Vol 1-2, 1787-1837, Ancestry.com.
- [S3586] Our Old Roads No. 262, The Index Journal, Greenwood, South Carolina, January 5, 1946, page 4, Newspapers.com.
- [S232] Will of William Hairston - 18 March 1808, Abbeville District, South Carolina, Will Book 1, Page 360. http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/…, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S3066] South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S3455] Will of Susannah Frith - 8 Dec 1812, Abbeville Co., South Carolina; Recorded 16 Apr 1813, Will Book 1, Page 1813, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S3584] Miscellaneous Estate Papers (Abbeville County, South Carolina), 1782-1958; Author: South Carolina. Probate Court (Abbeville County); Probate Place: South Carolina
Description Notes: Probate Records, Boxes 34-35, Packages 731-771, 1782-1958, Ancestry.com.
|Last Edited||27 Jul 2021|