HAIRSTON.org ID#38, b. 1 April 1783, d. 7 March 1852
|Father*||Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON1 b. 20 Sep 1750, d. 5 Mar 1827|
|Mother*||Elizabeth PERKINS1 b. 13 May 1759, d. 26 Jan 1819|
|Birth*||Robert HAIRSTON was born on 1 April 1783 in Henry County, Virginia.2,3,1|
|He was the son of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Elizabeth PERKINS.1|
|Marriage*||Robert HAIRSTON married Ruth Stovall HAIRSTON, daughter of Major Peter HAIRSTON and Alcey (Elsie) PERKINS, on 15 February 1816 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia; |
Weekly Raliegh Register, Raliegh, North Carolina, March 15, 1816, Page 3.4,3
|Census 1820*||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1820 in Pittsylvanaia County, Virginia, Males 26-44 1 (Robert), Females 26-44 1 (wife Ruth), Slaves 45.5|
|Will||In Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 7 March 1820 in Henry County, Virginia, Robert HAIRSTON was named as an heir.6|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: 40-49 1, Females: 40-49 1, Slaves: 65.7|
|Will||He was mentioned in the will of Major Peter HAIRSTON on 20 February 1832 in Stokes County, North Carolina; Will Vol 1-3, pages 241-242.8|
|Census 1837 Miss*||Robert HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1837 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 1837 Mississippi Census - Robert Hairston - 1 male 21-45, 1 female over 16, 35 male slaves, 35 female slaves, 300 cultivated acres in 1836, 6 bales cotton in 1836 - page 22, line 17.9|
|Event-Misc*||He went to Europe in 1839 and had a Daguerreotype photograph of himself taken.10,3|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Males: 50-59 1, Females; 40-49 1, Slaves 72.11|
|Will*||He left a will on 22 September 1841 in Henry County, Virginia.|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 23 November 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi. |
|Death*||He died on 7 March 1852 at 3:55 PM in Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 68.2,3|
|Will||He left a will on 7 March 1852 in Lowndes County, Mississippi. Lowndes County, Probate Book G, Page 456.12|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2 |
|Probate||Administrator's Notice published in the Columbus Democrat, Columbus, Mississippi, page 3, on 18 September 1852 for the estate of Major Robert Hairston the estate administor George Hairston.|
|NOTE*||Robert tried to use his will to free one of his slaves named Cristallis, the daughter of his slave housekeeper, and give her property. In his will he did not leave anything for his wife Ruth who he left in Virginia, which was not allowed under the laws of Mississippi or Virginia. Also, three of the four witnesses to Robert signing his will said he was not of sound mind. His will ended up in the High Court of Mississippi where it was determined that it was against the law to free a slave in a will, it was against the law for a slave to own property and that Robert could not divorce his wife Ruth by moving to Misssissippi. The Superior Court of Henry County, Virginia came to a similar decision. Therefore his wife Ruth inherited at least one half of his estate.10,13|
|Ruth Stovall HAIRSTON b. 13 Jul 1783, d. 22 Apr 1869|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S249] George Hairston Family Bible - 1750-1916, Peter Hairston Bible - 1750-1928, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated Out of the Original Greek: and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised. Cooperstown, (N.Y.) Sterotyped, Printed and Published by H. & E. Phinney, 1829., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89069618338, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3296] Will of George Stovall Hairston -1820 - copy of will recorded in case #1833-008, Amos A. Atkinson & Wife vs. Exrs. of George Hairston, Chancery Records, Library of Virginia, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3065] Will of Peter Hairston - 20 Feb 1832, Stokes County, North Carolina, Wills Vol, 1-2, pages 241-242.
- [S1837] 1837 Mississippi Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S118] Research and Papers of Judge Peter W. Hairston.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S96] Lowndes County Mississippi Will Book.
- [S261] The Daily Dispatch, Richmond, Virginia.
|Last Edited||19 Mar 2018|