James McElhaney HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#2237, b. 14 December 1808, d. 13 June 1881
|Father*||Hugh Brown HAIRSTON1 b. a 1787|
|Mother*||Sarah MCELHANEY b. a 1787|
|Birth*||James McElhaney HAIRSTON was born on 14 December 1808 in South Carolina. Cemetery marker shows birth Dec. 17, 1808.2,3|
|He was the son of Hugh Brown HAIRSTON and Sarah MCELHANEY.1|
|Marriage*||James McElhaney HAIRSTON married Matilda Louisa MCCALLAY, daughter of James MCCALLAY and Margaret AIKEN, on 4 December 1834.1,2,4,5|
|Census 1850*||James McElhaney HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 10 October 1850 in Troup County, Georgia, Jas Hurston 40 SC, Matilda 34 GA, Margarett 14 GA, Sarah 12 GA, Jane 6 GA, Wm 4 GA, Mary J 1 GA.4|
|Death Spouse*||He's wife, Matilda Louisa McCallay, died on 21 May 1851.|
|Marriage*||He married Louisa M. ELLIS on 21 December 1854.2|
|Court Record*||On 15 January 1856, James M. Hairston became guardian of Sarah May, Jane E., William M. and James Hairston, the minor children of James M. Hairston. Guardian Bonds, Troup County, Georgia, page 181.6|
|Census 1860*||James McElhaney HAIRSTON was New Tag Jas Hearston 50, on 18 June 1860 in Troup County, Georgia.7|
|Census 1870*||He was Head of Household on 14 July 1870 in Troup County, Georgia, J. M. Hurston 60, Louisa 52, Jane 21, William 23, James 18.8|
|Census 1880*||He appeared on the census of 3 June 1880 in Chambers County, Alabama, Haiston, J M 73 born SC and both parents born in SC, Louisa M. 68 born GA and both parents born in GA. Living near his son James Hairston 29 and wife Julie F. 20.9|
|Death*||He died on 13 June 1881 at age 72. Cemetery marker indicates 13 January 1881 as date of death.1,2,3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Harmony Methodist Church, Troup County, Georgia; |
Photo: Find A Grave by Donald Flynn.3
|Matilda Louisa MCCALLAY b. 23 Nov 1816, d. 21 May 1851|
|Louisa M. ELLIS b. 29 Jan 1818|
- [S46] The Hairston History, Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S144] Bible - James M Hairston 1808-1943.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3432] Dodd, Jordan, comp.. Georgia Marriages to 1850. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Georgia., Ancestry.com.
- [S3459] Georgia Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992, Ancestry.com.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||15 Dec 2018|