|Marriage*||Alexander FORBES married Jane "Janet" Jenny HAIRSTON, daughter of Andrew HAIRSTON and Elizabeth (surname unknown), about 1759.1|
|County Change*||1761 - Amherst County formed from Albemarle County, Virginia.|
|Property*||1767 Albemarle County - 88 acres on the branches of the south fork of Davis’s Creek.|
Source: Land Office Patents No. 37, 1767-1768, p. 14 (Reel 37), Library of Virginia.2,3
|Will||Alexander FORBES was mentioned in the will of Samuel HAIRSTON on 9 February 1782 in Campbell County, Virginia.1|
|Court Record||Samuel Hairston states on 9 February 1782 in a codicil to his will the following, "When the money due me from the Estate of Cury Smith and David Rick is recovered I direct my executor to pay the same to Jenny Forbes wife of Alexander Forbes."|
|Property||1782 Bedford County - 110 acres on the north branch of Goose Creek.|
Source: Land Office Grants F, 1781-1782, p. 498 (Reel 47), Library of Virginia.2
|Court Record||Alexander Forbes is mentioned as the husband of Jenny in the Campbell County Virginia Deed Books on November 4, 1784 and May 5, 1785. Pages 9 and 48 of Deed Book 2.|
|Property||1787 Bedford County - 407 acres on Goose Creek.|
Source: Land Office Grants No. 13, 1787, p. 536 (Reel 79), Library of Virginia.2
|Property||1791 Amherst County - 20 acres on the branches of Davis’s Creek.|
Source: Land Office Grants No. 23, 1790-1791, p. 531 (Reel 89).
Library of Virginia.2
|Court Record*||On 29 August 1795, Robert Alexander, the executor of Samel Hairston's estate paid Alexander Forbes 95 pounds, 12 shillings and 11 pence.1|
|NOTE*||NOTES: FORBES |
John Forbes - witnessed Andrew Hairston's will 8 Aug 1771. Alexander Forbes is mentioned in Andrew's estate proceeding 4 September 1783. Purchased 400 acres Beaver Creek in 1787 and 1792 850 acres Opossum Creek and 450 acres Beaver Creek. Was executor of David Rosser's will in 1790. (Campbell Chronicles)
Alexander Forbes of Lincoln County, Tennessee - born 3 March 1760 - appeared in court on 19 October 1832, a resident of Lincoln County aged 72 that lived in Amherst County, Virginia after the war and then moved to Madison County, Kentucky, then Adair County, Kentucky, then Jackson County, Alabama and then to Lincoln County, Tennessee. He enlisted in Militia in Amherst County, Virginia in 1776. The 1810 Federal census lists an Alexander Forbes in Ohio, Kentucky as 1 male over 45. Fold3 lists an Alexander Forbis getting a Kentucky Land Grant in Green County 22 Aug 1799 of 200 acres.
Alexander Forbes of Buckingham Co., VA - born c1763 - married a Lucy Scruggs on 28 January 1787. He was in the Virginia Militia from Buckingham County during the Revolutionary War. In his 13 August 1832 pension application he states he was born in 1763 in Stafford County, Virginia and that he was living in Buckingham County when called into service. He also states he has lived in Buckingham since the war. In his pension file is a letter from his widow Judith who states they were married on 27 March 1815 (52 years old) and that he died on 22 February 1838 (75 years old). The widow Judith Forbes was 76 in a 24 March 1853 court statement, born about 1777 and her name was Judith Ammonett. W. W. was a son of this Alexander Forbes and his wife Judith. Fold3
William Forbes & Mary Bethel (dau. of John Bethel) married 19 Aug 1793, Amherst Co., VA
p172 - Alexander Forbus & Rachel Edsall married 3 Jan 1804 Amherst Co., VA
p183 - John Forbes (son of William & Elizabeth Forbes) & Jane (Jean) Hatter (daughter of Benjamin Hatter) married on 18 February 1805 in Amherst Co., VA
John Forbes in 1810 Federal census in Franklin Co., VA John Forbes is listed in Franklin Order book 1, pages 123 170 204 250 281
p200 - Wm. Forbus & Eliz. Embly married 19 Jan 1807 Amherst Co. VA
William Forbes in 1810 federal census in Franklin Co. VA Males under 10 1, 16-25 1, Females 16-25 1.
William Forbes in 1810 Federal Census in Rockbridge Co., VA Males 45+ 1, Females 16-25 1, 45+ 1. William Forbes Jr. on same census page
James Forbes purchased land Ivy Creek, Albemarle County 1760
British General John Forbes in French Indian Wars. Died in 1759 in Philadelphia. I am not aware of any connection to the Alexander Forbes that married Jane Hairston.4
|Jane "Janet" Jenny HAIRSTON b. a 1742|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S101] Will & Probate of Samuel Hairston - 1782, Campbell County Will Book #1, page 6, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S2] Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia, Richmond.
- [S3124] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Seven, 1762-1776. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1999. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S247] Greenway, Carl Forrest - letters relating to Hairston genealogy dated 1965-1966 to various people - Carl Greenway (1917-1974) was a Hairston relative and family genealogist, more information about Carl Greenway can be found here: https://www.hairston.org/p4445.htm, Personal Collection - copy.
- [S3594] Kentucky Birth, Marriage and Death Records – 1856. Microfilm roll #994031, image 601: Casey, Christian, Clark. Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, Frankfort, Kentucky.Kentucky.
|Last Edited||10 Feb 2022|