HAIRSTON.org ID#1743, b. 3 March 1760, d. about 1846
|Mother*||Jane "Janet" Jenny HAIRSTON b. a 1742|
|Birth*||Alexander FORBES was born on 3 March 1760 in Albemarle County, Virginia.1|
|He was the son of Alexander FORBES and Jane "Janet" Jenny HAIRSTON.|
|County Name||1761 - Amherst County from Albemarle.|
|County Name||1792 - Green County, Kentucky from Lincoln.|
|Tax Rolls*||1800 - Alexander Forbes pays taxes in Green County, Kentucky.2|
|Census 1810*||Alexander FORBES appeared on the census of 1810 in Ohio County, Kentucky, He is listed alone, over 45 years old and without his family.3|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Jackson County, Alabama, Males: 10-14 1, 60-69 1, Females: 60-69 1.4|
|Military*||1833 - Lincoln County, Tennessee - Revolutionary War pension application was filed for Alexander Forbes, born March 3, 1760 in Amherst County, Virginia. It was also stated that he moved from Amherst Co. after the revolution and moved to Madison County, Kentucky, then to Adair County, Kentucky, Jackson County, Alabama, and finally to Lincoln County, Tennessee.5|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males: 5-9 2, 70-79 1, Females: 10-14 1, 15-19 3, 70-79 1.6|
|Will*||He left a will on 13 March 1843 in Lincoln County, Tennessee; Will Books, 1810-1850, Page 288-289.7|
|Death*||He died about 1846.|
|Probate*||His estate was probated in April 1846 in Lincoln County, Tennessee.7|
|NOTE*||GENEALOGY NOTES: |
John Forbes (7110)- witnessed Andrew Hairston's will 8 Aug 1771. Alexander Forbes is mentioned in Andrew's estate proceeding 4 September 1783. Purchased 400 acres Beaver Creek in 1787 and 1792 850 acres Opossum Creek and 450 acres Beaver Creek. Was executor of David Rosser's will in 1790. (Campbell Chronicles)
Alexander Forbes of Lincoln County, Tennessee (1743) - b. 1760 - d. 1846) - appeared in court on 19 October 1832, a resident of Lincoln County aged 72 that lived in Amherst County, Virginia after the war and then moved to Madison County, Kentucky, then Adair County, Kentucky, then Jackson County, Alabama and then to Lincoln County, Tennessee. He enlisted in Militia in Amherst County, Virginia in 1776. The 1810 Federal census lists an Alexander Forbes in Ohio, Kentucky as 1 male over 45. Fold3 lists an Alexander Forbis getting a Kentucky Land Grant in Green County 22 Aug 1799 of 200 acres.
Alexander Forbes of Buckingham County, VA - born c1763 - married a Lucy Scruggs on 28 January 1787. He was in the Virginia Militia from Buckingham County during the Revolutionary War. In his 13 August 1832 pension application he states he was born in 1763 in Stafford County, Virginia and that he was living in Buckingham County when called into service. He also states he has lived in Buckingham since the war. In his pension file is a letter from his widow Judith who states they were married on 27 March 1815 (52 years old) and that he died on 22 February 1838 (75 years old). The widow Judith Forbes was 76 in a 24 March 1853 court statement, born about 1777 and her name was Judith Ammonett. W. W. was a son of this Alexander Forbes and his wife Judith. Fold3
Other Forbes notes;
William Forbes & Mary Bethel (dau. of John Bethel) married 19 Aug 1793, Amherst Co., VA
p172 - Alexander Forbus & Rachel Edsall married 3 Jan 1804 Amherst Co., VA
p183 - John Forbes (son of William & Elizabeth Forbes) & Jane (Jean) Hatter (daughter of Benjamin Hatter) married on 18 February 1805 in Amherst Co., VA
John Forbes in 1810 Federal census in Franklin Co., VA John Forbes is listed in Franklin Order book 1, pages 123 170 204 250 281
p200 - Wm. Forbus & Eliz. Embly married 19 Jan 1807 Amherst Co. VA
William Forbes in 1810 federal census in Franklin Co. VA Males under 10 1, 16-25 1, Females 16-25 1.
William Forbes in 1810 Federal Census in Rockbridge Co., VA Males 45+ 1, Females 16-25 1, 45+ 1. William Forbes Jr. on same census page
James Forbes purchased land in Ivy Creek, Albemarle County, 1760
British General John Forbes in French Indian Wars, died 1759. Does not appear to be related to the Alexander Forbes that married Jane Hairston.8
- [S3098] United States Senate.The Pension Roll of 1835.4 vols. 1968 Reprint, with index. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1992., unknown repository.
- [S3165] Clift, G. Glenn. Second Census of Kentucky, 1800. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2005.
- [S1810] 1810 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S57] U. S. Revolutionary War Pension Application, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, Ancestry.com.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3248] Will of Alexander Forbes - dated 13 March 1843, Lincoln Co., Tennessee Will Book 1810-1850, Page 288, Recorded April 1846. https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/213763, Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
|Last Edited||14 Jul 2023|